Kendrick Bourne: Mac Jones has swag I didn’t know he had

2021 NFL Draft
Getty Images

Quarterbacks will remain a focus of attention at Patriots practices until the team makes a call about who the starter is going to be this season and it was wide receiver Kendrick Bourne‘s chance to weigh in on two of the candidates on Thursday.

While returning members of the team have familiarity with Cam Newton from last year, Bourne is a free agent so he is getting his first chance to see Newton and first-round pick Mac Jones in action. Bourne told reporters that Jones is carrying himself with more confidence than Bourne would have expected at this stage in his career.

“Mac, good energy. Awesome guy,” Bourne said, via Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal. “You can tell he’s happy to be here. Comes to work and you can just feel his energy and his leadership already. He has a swag to him that I didn’t know that he had. He’s out there confident. That’s what you need in our quarterback and all our players. . . . He’s come in with that [confidence] and I feel like that’s going to take him a long way.”

Bourne had plenty of good things to say about Newton as well. He called the veteran’s energy “amazing” and said the quarterback is “there to push me and pick me up” during the team’s early practice sessions.

With months to go before the regular season, this won’t be the last we hear from Bourne and other Patriots about the two quarterbacks. The ultimate decision will rest with head coach Bill Belichick, however, and he’s unlikely to share too much of his thought process about the choice.

14 responses to “Kendrick Bourne: Mac Jones has swag I didn’t know he had

1. Barring injury, Cam plays all of 2021, hopefully earns a huge contract to play somewhere else next year, and Mac Jones takes over in 2022.

Not popular opinion, but thats how it will go down.

Mac-Daddy. MJ12…or whatever number he gets.

2. And 2 years ago all we heard was that Stidham has AMAZING arm talent.

3. “Quarterbacks will remain a focus of attention at Patriots practices until the team makes a call about who the starter is going to be this season ”

Didn’t Coach Belichik already declare Newton is the starter?

4. I think he means swagger. I mean as a first-round pick Jones got plenty of swag too, I imagine — free hats and jerseys, probably other stuff as well.

5. We will soon find out if Mac Jones has that assassin’s mentality. I’m rooting for him.

6. theconfluence says:
    May 28, 2021 at 7:18 am

And 2 years ago all we heard was that Stidham has AMAZING arm talent.
    ______________________

Did you watch any Alabama games last season?

7. trentdilfer08 says:
    May 28, 2021 at 8:56 am

SWAG??? How about Mac Jones = Bust! There you go Kendrick.
    __________________________

Based on what exactly?

Is it the 4500 passing yards against SEC defenses that makes you so certain? Or is it the 41 passing TDs against SEC defenses? Or his incredible deep ball accuracy? Or is it his intermediate accuracy?

Or that fact that he piloted his team to the national championship? AND in that game against Ohio State – who had just shredded Clemson – Jones threw for 464 yds and 5 TDs.

This kind of statement without explanation is foolish. No, if anything the only concern Mac Jones has going to the the Pats is lack of weapons.

8. Since the Patriots did not sign a shortstop I’m guessing that if Cam continues throwing grounders in week 1 Mac will take over week 2.

9. theconfluence says:
    May 28, 2021 at 7:18 am
    And 2 years ago all we heard was that Stidham has AMAZING arm talent.

—–
    Stidham is a 4th round pick and wasn’t very good with Auburn. Even got sacked 11 times by Clemson in a game. There was no reason other than wishful thinking to think Stidham would be anything more than he is.

Slight difference with Mac being a first rounder, playing at Bama putting up sick numbers and winning some of the biggest games possible.

I wouldn’t bet on Mac being Stidham 2.0.

10. This became my favorite quarterback in the draft when it finally rolled around. I’m a little upset the vikings didn’t take him at 14, they could’ve taken him, waited one more season on the offensive line, dealt cousins next season and gave mac a entire year on the bench. I feel like this will become a all time draft miss for them, and darrisaw will go on to become some all pro but were always going to look back and say, could’ve taken Jones, and Davis in the third round, traded for a decent tackle.

11. theconfluence says:
    May 28, 2021 at 7:18 am
    And 2 years ago all we heard was that Stidham has AMAZING arm talent. He does he has all the tools I hope he gets a shot somewhere else if he cant get one in new England.