Report: Aaron Rodgers not expected to attend Packers’ minicamp

NFC Championship - Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Green Bay Packers
Getty Images

Davante Adams and the Packers’ other top receivers who skipped voluntary organized team activities are expected to attend the team’s mandatory minicamp this week. It appears they will have Jordan Love throwing them passes.

The word from Tom Pelissero of NFL Media is “no change” on Aaron Rodgers‘ status, “so the expectation, barring any developments overnight, is the NFL MVP won’t be reporting for minicamp.”

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said late last week that he hoped to see Rodgers on Tuesday. LaFleur surely didn’t hold his breath, though, after Rodgers skipped the team’s voluntary offseason program.

The Packers can fine Rodgers $93,085 for missing all three days of the camp, but he already jeopardized a $500,000 workout bonus for skipping the OTAs.

If Rodgers indeed skips the team’s mandatory minicamp, the countdown to training camp begins. It will be a wait to see whether the NFL MVP shows up or the stare down between the team and its star quarterback continues.

Packers CEO Mark Murphy said last week “the situation we face with Aaron Rodgers has divided our fan base.” The “situation” continues this week with no end yet in sight.

76 responses to “Report: Aaron Rodgers not expected to attend Packers’ minicamp

1. I don’t think telling Rodgers he’s losing the fans will encourage him to return. I think it’ll make him not want to return even more.

2. Rodgers is a magician on the football field and I love his game but have lost mad respect for the way hes handling his game off the field trying to exit green bay.

3. Mr. Rodgers, the rest of the NFC thanks you for your service. Keep up the good work of narrowing down the field of playoff contenders.

4. People should look at the bright side of this whole thing.
    Rodgers is helping Love get 1st team reps that he wouldn’t ordinarily be getting at this time.

5. John Elway wanted to win a big game so badly that he flew over the goal line like a helicopter rotor. If Rodgers had sold out like that he’d have a lot more Packer fans backing him right now.

6. SO SICK of Aaron Rodgers.

CALL HIS BLUFF. Force his hand. Play for GB or don’t play at all.

7. Call his bluff? Who says he’s bluffing? He is already financially set, for many lifetimes. Maybe he just really wants out.

8. Rodgers retires. Packers get nothing until next year. Value diminished.

9. Let him sit and trade him in early 2022 should he continue to hold out. Nothing personal, A-Rod, it’s just a business decision at this point. You have burned all the goodwill you accumulated during your career in GB.

10. Why are they so afraid to get something for him? Why hasn’t he been dealt? What if he just retires and takes the year off?

Then he can come back after taking a year off and sign with whomever.

GB should have already had a deal to Denver locked up by now.

11. Rodgers has real life problems give him a break , to be so upset that he skips on 500k and now a possibility of another 93k to throw footballs around

12. Let’s just call a spade a spade.

Rodgers primary goal as an NFL player has nothing to do with winning a Super Bowl.

That’s the true and as a 50 year Packer fan, if he holds out, I hope the Packers make it a point that he never take another snap in the NFL.

13. As a Vikings fan I sure enjoyed watching Aaron play. He has a winning record against us. ButI do think its time for the Pack to work out a trade. Cant believe his value could be any higher. This is getting ridiculous.

14. I guess I’m the only one left standing in you corner Aaron! Let the others show their allegiance to Bortles when we go 5-12?

15. Ok. Hold your ground Packers! One person cannot dictate what the team does. No one is above the organization.

Let’s see what Love can do or not do. Could be a bust or the 2nd coming of the next League Great QB.

Princess can just walk off into the sunset.

16. Ya just hate to see the suffering packer fans are enduring. Just hate to see it.

17. Kinda worried about Aaron and all this manic impulsive behavior the past year…maybe needs a chat with Antonio Brown’s team? AB seems to be doing a little better this past year.

18. What all of us need to keep in mind is that Jordan Love was drafted with the idea of replacing AR……………at some point. AR is just making it now rather at some point. Many of us would probably act the same way if we knew that the new hire, that we were expected to mentor, was going to be replacing us even though we weren’t ready to move on. I know I sure would!!!

19. I’m already more than way tired of this. I just don’t care, one way or the other. From Day One I didn’t care. Whatever will be, will be.

20. The Packers want him back this badly ? I mean what does that say about the Jordan Love pick then ??

21. Skipping out of the OTA’s and the mandatory mini camp obviously means that he doesn’t need the money he’s losing out on. So why is he holding out for a new contract??

22. Aaron Rodgers had an MVP season, and the Packers were only a player away from winning it all. That missing player could have been taken in the first round, but the Packers not only used their first round pick on a QB, they traded away more to move up and take a QB. They definitely had decided to move on from Rodgers, and after his MVP season, the team is trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube, and they’re making a big mess. I think they’re really being dishonest in their attempt to cover their butts, and Packers’ fans have the right to be angry. When you make the decision to move on from a player like Rodgers, the top guy signs off on it, and that’s Mark Murphy.

23. scoreatwill says:
    June 7, 2021 at 8:52 pm

0 0 Rate This

——————

Rodgers is under contract for the next 3 seasons.

24. They can’t trade him otherwise they would have, it’s too much of a cap hit.

25. touchback6 says:

Then he can come back after taking a year off and sign with whomever.
    ###

I guess you don’t realize that if Rodgers retires and then tries to come back and play next season, he would still be property of the Packers and would need to be traded. He would not be a FA and able to sign with anyone he wants unless the Packers released him (and that ain’t happening).

26. Hard to understand what the point of all this is. He clearly won’t be traded, and there are no trading partners left as every team now has a plan at QB. Doesn’t seem worth even talking about, but I guess there’s not much else to talk about.

27. I always love reading the comments of people on here. Could you imagine another job where your boss owns the right for you to work. This isn’t something these guys woke up one morning to do. Most NFL players began playing football at peewee. So, by the time they get to the pros, they have logged 12 to 15 years. Aaron, who just finished his 16th year, will have dedicated almost 30 years to football, and these so-called fans will be okay having some out-of-shape owner take away his ability to play elsewhere. Even though the NFLPA is falling these players, it is good to see guys take a stand. If I dislike my employer, I should not be stuck working for them, and they shouldn’t own my right to work elsewhere.

28. What a horrific job by the packers. They alienate their best player and they divide their fan base due to their gross incompetence.

29. Rodgers only cares about Rodgers.Trade him He can be someone else’s problem!

30. Rodgers goal is obviously to win another championship. Skipping mandatory offseason programs and alienating your teammates and coaches is not the way to a championship. You think TB12 is skipping offseason programs? This is why such a great talent only has 1 Superbowl win. He holds himself to a higher regard than his team. Let him sit at home.

31. Packers hold all the cards. Rodgers two choices, play or retire. The pack could have callers during or after next season. no one is biting now. For now they work with what they have

32. No one player is more important than the team. Rodgers had a front row seat when Favre learned that important lesson.

33. To me, Aaron Rodgers has committed the ultimate sin. He sabotaged the future of the guys in his locker room when he told other players don’t come here because I won’t be here…before all of this even started. In the midst of throwing his temper tantrum, he has impacted the ability of the other men in the locker room to field a competitive team by impacting the quality of player that might come in…

And their careers are so short compared to QBs.

He could be a great person (I don’t know him), but it appears he is a crappy teammate.

34. But he hasn’t said anything yet… so that means we’re overreacting right?

35. finchy74 says:
    June 7, 2021 at 9:52 pm
    Odd to see people siding with a billion dollar corporation over a player.

—-

Generally, myself and I assume that most people will always sigh with the players and most instances. But Rogers has been acting like a complete entitled Child. He literally is reminding me of when I wouldn’t give my Two-year-old daughter Through a fit because I wouldn’t let her have an ice cream sandwich before bed the other night because she already had eaten dessert as a special treat earlier in the night.

36. They should just allow players to break their contracts under the condition that the following year fetches a veteran minimum salary and future revenue goes toward the cap hit as a debt and remove the cap hit on the team…Call it a clean slate hit

37. finchy74 says:
    June 7, 2021 at 9:52 pm
    Odd to see people siding with a billion dollar corporation over a player.

———————————-
    Odd that most people understand fulfilling an agreed upon contract? Odd that most people understand how business works? Odd that people realize the “billion dollar corporation” is publicly owned, employs hundreds of other people and does not solely exist to fulfill the whims of their highest paid employee?

38. Good for him. He’s a generational type of talent. The organization should work with him to build around him. If not, guess what, he’s discovered he can do other things. Freedom of choice.

39. The man has relationship issues. He is estranged from his family, he had high profile relationships with a couple of celebrity woman that ended up on the rocks and is now alienating himself from the Packers and his fans. He should maybe ask himself where the problem lies.

40. This is what happens when your team lives and dies by one man and not a team as a whole. Patriots aren’t the same whatsoever now, saints won’t come close to what they have been, same with the Colts. Years of mediocrity are ahead muahahahaha..what a mess in gb!

41. john baxter says:
    June 7, 2021 at 10:02 pm
    —————————————————
    You seem to be a little confused here….. let me metaphor it down for you. The NFL is the company. They have 32 departments. If you want to work for the company, you work in the department they assign you. You are free to work for a different company. There’s the CFL, arena, various start-ups….. I’m sure Vince McMahon would love to hire Rodgers. But if he wants to work for the NFL, he is assigned to the department in Green Bay.

Does that help?

42. Murphy is wrong. Nobody in Packerland is thinking about what Rodgers will or won’t do .

43. Thank you Aaron Rogers for not playing this year and making the path through the NFC playoffs easier!

44. john baxter says:
    June 7, 2021 at 10:02 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How about if the team dislikes the player? Can they have the cap hit waived so they can send him packing? No? Might that be because they have contracts? Does Rodgers have a contract?

45. I’m wondering if Rodgers will skip out in the hope Love continues to impress, loosening the grip on a trade?

46. He wants to do what Brady did alienate the team so he can pick a spot to go where it’s all about him. This is the new norm all players wanna be bigger then the team.

47. touchback6 says:
    June 7, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Then he can come back after taking a year off and sign with whomever.

GB should have already had a deal to Denver locked up by now.

——————

No he can’t. He’d still be under contract to the Packers when he returned. The same ego that has him pulling this passive-aggressive crap instead of coming out and saying he wants to be traded won’t let him miss regular season games.

48. “If I dislike my employer, I should not be stuck working for them, and they shouldn’t own my right to work elsewhere.”

Then DON’T sign a contract.

49. Everybody’s mad at the NFLPA for telling the players “You gave up something, IN A NEGOTIATION, in return for some OTAs becoming voluntary as opposed to mandatory. Don’t let your teams treat the voluntary portions as mandatory. You PAID for this right, fair and square.”

Now we have the exact opposite. The Packers gave up something (or a LOT of somethings), IN A NEGOTIATION, for these last years on what was the highest contract in NFL history when it was signed to be voidable. They now get to have these years actually… wait for it… BE VOIDABLE. They PAID for this, fair and square. People… and business… and unions… get to collect that for which they have paid. Especially when it’s been NEGOTIATED FOR in a signed contract. Really. They do.

50. Angel Valle says:
    June 8, 2021 at 7:35 am

***************************

Brady did not alienate the Patriots into anything. He was a free agent. The reason the team did not sign him was because that would have just led to another year of goat qb with no weapons. Which would not be a fun ride for Brady while also not addressing the cap situation the team needed to start fixing. So that created a situation where it was the best thing for both parties to thank each other for everything and part ways.

51. BadCheeseheadTroll says:
    June 8, 2021 at 4:45 am
    john baxter says:
    June 7, 2021 at 10:02 pm
    —————————————————

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m pretty sure he can’t play professional football in any other league, either, but the simple metaphor there would be a “non compete” clause in any other employment contract.

52. Rodgers is,and has always been, only concerned about himself. His constant whining with his coaches, team ownership and referees is becoming abhorrent. He is a self-centered, egotistical man who thinks he is owed the world but yet, he has no obligation to anything or anyone. His actions in regards to his family are similar to those shown to his team . . . . only self! His constant crying on the field is disgusting. Let a player so much as touch his sorry butt and he is crying to the referees to invoke a penalty of some sort just because he is “Aaron Rodgers!” I say “good riddance!”

53. They made a big mistake not signing Ryan Fitzpatrick. He may have gotten them to the super bowl with this roster.

54. justokayfootball says:
    June 8, 2021 at 8:26 am
    Who the hell cares
    /////
    NFL fans. Literally millions of people, most likely. At least casually.

55. He has blessed the Bucks as an owner and passed his amazing ability to choke in the the playoffs.

56. but he already “jeopardized” a $500,000 workout bonus for skipping the OTAs.

I see what you did there

57. john baxter says:
    June 7, 2021 at 10:02 pm

____________

I guess you’re not familiar with contract-based work. In this situation, the employer and the employee both agree to a deal and the contract stipulates the conditions of employment. The employee agrees to work for the employer for a period of time in exchange for a salary and other benefits. Rodgers isn’t working at the local convenience store, where either side can terminate the relationship at will. Is your idea for the NFL to allow players to quit their team and go play for another team whenever they want?

58. Why are they so afraid to get something for him? Why hasn’t he been dealt? What if he just retires and takes the year off?

Then he can come back after taking a year off and sign with whomever.
    —————-

No he cannot. The Packers could trade him. It is like the Gronk scenario. Your misses are very constant.

59. I don’t blame Rodgers for a second for wanting out from a team that drafted his replacement shortly after they finished one game short of the SB.

The problem has always been the timing. If he was going to be traded, it should have happened around the time Stafford was dealt to LA, to create a bidding war, which there definitely would have been.

At this point, Denver is the only fit and I don’t see the Broncos bidding against themselves to get Rodgers. Wait until this off-season and Rodgers will have multiple options of places to go and the Packers will get a better haul in return assuming Rodgers continues to play the way he did last year.

So the result will be the most awkward training camp and season ever when Rodgers inevitably shows up and plays this season. It also gives Rodgers a chance to come in, play at a MVP level again, and maybe someone will decide that getting rid of the GM makes more sense.

60. I always love reading the comments of people on here. Could you imagine another job where your boss owns the right for you to work. This isn’t something these guys woke up one morning to do. Most NFL players began playing football at peewee. So, by the time they get to the pros, they have logged 12 to 15 years. Aaron, who just finished his 16th year, will have dedicated almost 30 years to football, and these so-called fans will be okay having some out-of-shape owner take away his ability to play elsewhere. Even though the NFLPA is falling these players, it is good to see guys take a stand. If I dislike my employer, I should not be stuck working for them, and they shouldn’t own my right to work elsewhere.
    ____________

____

Contracts are typically multi-year. If a player doesnt like that a team has them locked up, they could sign only one year contracts. That would allow the player to change their employer annually.

However, the flip side to that is player salary and signing bonuses would be reduced on one year deals. And you have to do all over again next year.

Maybe take less each year to control your own employment path?

61. RE: Contracts in the NFL
    Are so many people here blind? Contracts with NFL ownership are very one-sided and typically are worthless when it comes to the players side of the contract, with very few exceptions. NFL owners dangle fame and fortune in the engagement process of a contract negotiation. For the bulk of the contracts signed – they are at will for the owner, not the player. A player can be cut, a player can be traded, a player can be coerced into changing their pay rate – what kind of “contract” is that? Sorry, but the only real binding part is that ownership can basically do whatever they want with a player for the most part. Exceptions like Cousins in MN are far and few between – and how do people react to that contract? Very poorly – so please don’t stand on the contractual soapbox and complain about AR – just because he now has multiple investments and is financially secure to look the other way, contractually that does not make him the “bad guy”. But IF on the other hand GB started the conversation that we are looking for a trade partner for AR (or whoever), before any animosity took place – then they could have disposed of AR at will. So exactly what kind of “binding” contract is that for the signee? That is the typical scenario for the 95% of contracts signed in the NFL – no contractual equity, indentured at will servants.

62. “Something in the water in Green Bay turns their QBs into divas!” Yes indeed,its called great success at winning and great teammates.

63. mnrasslinggovjesse says:
    June 7, 2021 at 7:24 pm

____________

Nice image of Elway helicoptering for a TD, but it never happened. Elway’s TD was from a bootleg fake handoff to Terrell Davis in the second quarter. The helicopter play came with a little over two minutes remaining in the third quarter and was for a first down that ultimately led to the second of three TDs for TD.

64. billh1947 says:
    June 8, 2021 at 10:54 am

———

Two SB wins in the last 25 years… That’s mediocre at best

65. axiobeat says:
    June 8, 2021 at 10:40 am
    RE: Contracts in the NFL

*******************************

And every bit of that was perfectly clear up front when the contract was signed. No one is indentured anything, the player has every right to go work a different job under different terms instead. Even after the contract is signed the player is free to go do something else under different terms at any time. They are free to do anything they want other than take the service they already sold to one party, and go sell it to a different party. Frankly all the above is fancy speak excuses for not wanting to deliver after accepting the reward.