Dan Campbell not worried about outside reaction to his style

Detroit Lions Off-Season Workout
Getty Images

When the Lions introduced Dan Campbell as their head coach, he made headlines by discussing his desire to see his team bite the kneecaps off of opposing players.

He’s continued to garner attention around the football world in subsequent media appearances. He’s talked about wanting a real lion at the team’s practices and donned a racing helmet for a press conference last week after being named the grand marshal for the Detroit Grand Prix later this week.

Campbell’s style has won him supporters and it has led to some criticism, but Campbell said on Tuesday that he isn’t fazed by those who aren’t applauding his efforts.

“I’m not worried about it,” Campbell said, via Kyle Meinke of MLive.com.

If the Lions win games, Campbell’s approach to being a head coach will be hailed as a breath of fresh air. If they don’t, it will be used as fodder for why he was a bad choice for the job. The reality of the correlation between press conferences and on-field results will be somewhere in the middle in either case.

21 responses to “Dan Campbell not worried about outside reaction to his style

1. This is a long term rebuild. The lions seem to actually have a plan and are building for the future. This draft they worked on the offense and defensive lines. The offensive line should be a strength. This year is an audition for Goff. If he is below average, they draft a QB next season with a high pick. Lions can cut Goff after 2 seasons when the dead money is low. Lions fans are not expecting a super bowl. We are expecting a well coached, hard fighting team that is building for the future. The opposite of the last 3 seasons.

2. Dan Campbell said the kneecap thing once.

I’ve read it here no less than 10 times, and it’s referenced every time you mention him.

Who’s the problem here?

3. Not one game has been played.

With that said

I’m a lifelong lions fan. The team and organization as a whole needs a total culture change- thus far Shelia ford Hamp seems to be putting the people in place to do that.

Campbell was a total pendulum swing from the Patricia regime. Was it too much , no one knows yet.

Personally, I see DC as a guy who just LOVES football. Remember , he was a smash mouth TE for years in the league. My take on him is that he recognizes he’s gotten paid to play and be involved in a GAME that he loves so he’s having fun with it.

Will he work out ? Too early to tell. But I know this, he’s the kind of guy people love in Michigan. If he is able to win and turn the lions around he will be beloved here.

4. I’m personally rooting for him because our team’s personality was completely nonexistent under Patricia, dull under Caldwell and undisciplined under Schwartz.

If he can somehow straddle the line between letting players be themselves while playing disciplined hard nosed winning football, I’d be all about it!

5. chc4 says:
    June 8, 2021 at 11:10 am
    This guy is a total joke. He will fail in epic fashion

Based on what? Whether or not people want to admit it, he’s respected around the league. Remember, he came up under Sean Payton.

He’s also assembled a good staff, and has the backing of an up and coming GM who is making the right moves.

Most people agree that the lions are looking to be on the right path

6. I don’t care about Campbell’s foot in mouth gaffes. All I care about is the team getting better, staying the same, or getting worse. I realize this year, the team is likely to be worse with the talent lost. For the long term, I am hopeful as Campbell’s staff is filled with ex-players.

With the draft pick haul, the Lions should be able to quickly improve. You need to be very good or very bad in the NFL to have ultimate success. The teams in the middle stay there. The Lions have decided to leave the middle — YAY!!

7. In some ways, Campbell’s style is refreshing. I’m sure his players will react positively to it. The key is that he doesn’t follow up some of his comments with questionable actions. Sometimes a little hyperbole is helpful, but try to make it reality is dangerous. (See for example, Jack Del Rio putting a block of wood and an axe in the locker room).

8. Campbell obviously doesn’t care what other people think about him because anyone with an ounce of self-awareness wouldn’t say the things he does. He can’t help but be better than the clown show they had in there the last three years, though.

9. Love this guy!! will it work out? we’ll see but i love the guy and his attitude! Go Lions!!

10. topcide says:
    June 8, 2021 at 11:26 am

Most people agree that the lions are looking to be on the right path
    _________

I just looked at six 2022 mock drafts and they all had the Lions picking in the top two.

11. reminds me of a present day Mike Ditka. People laughed at the old coach in 1982 over his (until that time) was seen as mouthy, eccentric, and generally lacking sense, but stopped laughing when he assembled tough-kick-you-in-the-mouth (I.e. KNEECAPS) BEARS teams and ultimately presided over one of the greatest squads ever. That old coach was also never a coordinator. What he had was fire, and his teams took on his personality. Just saying . . . Lookout.

12. First of all, that’s MAN Campbell to you.

On a more serious note, Campbell actually put together a REALLY good coaching staff. Say what you will about the guy, but he knows how to hire good people. The Lions could be better than we expect this year. Granted, this is clearly a rebuilding year based on some of the veterans they’ve let go, but would not be shocked if they turn out to be a respectable team this season.

13. I get destroyed here every time I say this but, I like this guy and wish him well.

14. If the Lions tank this year, they will be in a good position to potentially start a decent rebuild. This is the Lions were talking about guys. Cross your fingers and don’t hold your breathe.

15. Dan Campbell is fun. The people who are anti-fun hate him. Beyond that, we won’t know who the Lions will be until they start playing this fall. But I’ve read a lot of reports that the players love the guy. They see him as a straight-talker who they can also be straight with. Whether being a player’s coach will make a difference is something we’ll learn in the fall.

Goff needs to play better.

16. 13 4 Rate This
    Fear is a Liar says:
    June 8, 2021 at 12:05 pm
    topcide says:
    June 8, 2021 at 11:26 am

Most people agree that the lions are looking to be on the right path
    _________

—-

Well yeah, it’s a rebuild.

The team isn’t going to win a whole ton od games, and likely will be picking in tbe top 10. I’d be surprised If they were picking 2 overall with either their pick or the pick from the rams.

It’s a long term rebuild, it’s gonna take 2 seasons and drafts to really get going.

Assuming that Goff doesn’t do a 180, they will be looking to draft a qb either 22 or 23 draft. I personally feel it will be 22 so they can sit the rookie for a season while the line gets a couple seasons to gel, and likely add a “mid” level wr in FA or 2ndish round of the draft, while also improving the secondary.

23 draft add some more pieces-

23 season the new qb is looking ready to compete with Goff for the starting job. Team prob Is shooting for a 500 season.

Next draft/ FA add a game breaking wr and look to legit be competing in the 24 season.

It’s gonna take a few seasons, but there seems to be a plan in place

17. No one knows how Campbell will do at this point. The one concern I would have is if his coaching is as impulsive and off-beat as his pressers.

18. jimjets says:
    June 8, 2021 at 12:14 pm
    =========================

I agree, JJ. In a league where almost every coach and player has spent countless hours in PR school to ensure nothing of interest ever comes out of their mouths, Campbell is a breath of fresh air. I’m surprised by how many fans and even reporters who seem to be repelled by Campbell’s style. I prefer to have some characters in the league.

Now of course, Campbell is going to have to get it done on the field. The “rah rah” stuff doesn’t work in the NFL so he’s going to have to bring substance to the job. At least so far he’s hired a great staff and in my book, that’s a critical quality for an HC to have. I genuinely hope he’s successful because the guy is NOT boring.