Emmitt Smith joins forces with Jill Biden for a vaccination push in Texas

Denver Broncos vs Carolina Panthers, Super Bowl 50
Getty Images

Whether due to procrastination, hesitation, or strident beliefs that the vaccinations contain microchips that become synchronized with 5G towers and/or allow our bodies to wear refrigerator magnets as jewelry, not enough people have gotten the jab. In Texas, Hall of Fame running back and all-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith is joining the charge to get the word out.

On Tuesday, Emmitt will join First Lady Jill Biden to tour a vaccination site at Emmett J. Conrad High School in Dallas.

The goal is to get more people to get vaccinated. Later in the day, Jill Biden will be joined by Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff for a vaccination event at Minute Maid Park, along with the Houston Astros.

On Wednesday, Bill and Emhoff will travel to Phoenix for a similar effort.

Despite decades of vaccinations that have eradicated many serious conditions from the face of the earth, the COVID vaccine inexplicably has become a sharply political and divisive issue. Few issues make people on both sides of the debate more angry than this one. Which actually makes sense. Getting the vaccine is a matter of life and death. Those who oppose the vaccine have convinced themselves that the risk of death from the shot is as great or greater than death from COVID.

Ultimately, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. They’re not entitled to their own facts. The problem is that too many fringe media outlets with obvious agendas are spreading false facts, which then become the anchor for the refusal to contribute to the greater good — the effort to wipe out COVID, permanently.

So what’s a person to do? If you have questions or concerns about the vaccine, don’t simply sink your teeth into a website or a video that looks or feels in any way questionable but that tells you what you want to hear. One thing that we (hopefully) can agree on is that the issue has become far more important than looking for a single objective fact, no matter how flimsy it may be, to justify subjective beliefs that, believe it or not, may be erroneous.

51 responses to “Emmitt Smith joins forces with Jill Biden for a vaccination push in Texas

1. I no longer understand my fellow humans. How are people even questioning this issue?

Maybe we don’t deserve to survive as a species.

2. Right now in the US the only patients hospitalized and dying of COVID 19 are the unvaccinated. It’s just unbelievable that so many people think COVID 19 will only happens to others.

3. The current president and vice president were saying several months ago during the former president how they didn’t trust the vaccine, you know the same exact vaccine they casted doubt upon when out of office, all the sudden they want to tell us how safe it is, i wonder why that is?

Also if you have had covid you don’t need the vaccine, haven’t gotten sick once since i had covid back in march 2020, and ive been around a ton of people for the past year plus unmasked, indoors and outdoors.

every states covid rates and hospitalizations have decreased substantially, regardless of what measures were taken by the states, and it doesn’t hurt that we are in the summer, where even last year without a vaccine and far less people having had covid at the time, cases and deaths were down sharply as well.

No one needs an athlete or politician to tell them to get the vaccine, stop living in fear of a virus that has a 99.99 survival rate, and dont compare this to other stuff that vaccines eradicated such as small pox where the mortality rate was 30 pct.

4. The Delta variant is going to be really bad for the unvaccinated. The more people that are vaccinated means the less that Covid-19 is spread …. and this is the most important part …. the less chance there is for mutations. Mutations ONLY occur when the virus is spread.

5. This might be the 1st season I can think of, where an outside influence (Getting everyone vaccinated) is a factor on the NFL Season’s results.

Because it will !!

Wait for the Un vaccinated players and then their team mates also to have to self isolate and miss games

6. The vaccination is still technically experimental, in human trials and is only about 90% effective. The virus, which I (and pretty much everyone I know) have had, is over 99% survivable, for most. Vaccinations, by definition, “typically contain an agent that resembles a disease-causing microorganism and is often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe, its toxins, or one of its surface proteins.” So, at this point in my life, based on my age, health and the fact my natural immunity is more effective then an experimental, politically rushed vaccine with unknown, long-term side effects, I choose not to take one. This decision may change in a few years after there is more data and has nothing to do with 5G, magnets, etc. Smallpox killed 7.6% of all people prior to the vaccine, that one I understand. COVID kills at most, .01% (and mostly over 70), I don’t understand this one for anyone under the age of 70 at all – I think it is nuts that young people are willing to take it without more data.

7. Even the most ardent vaccine pushers aren’t claiming the vaccine will “wipe out COVID permanently”. This kind of hyperbole and misinformation only feeds skepticism of the vaccine.

8. I’m in Texas.. When the FDA approved it then I will get it. Until then, no thanks

9. Somehow I don’t think an unintelligible retired football running back and a very old man and his wife are going to convince the “Covid vaccines are a tool of George Soros” crowd to take the vaccine….

10. LOL, folks don’t trust government but are waiting for FDA approval like they care about that and not the Emergency Use Authorization and months of data from the same FDA.

11. tommy997 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 10:11 am

36 24 Rate This

————————

Umm, I think its nuts you think it’s good to get Covid, a nasty virus that has done damage to your body and apparently other low iq people you know, where your health in the future has been compromised.

Of course you can survive, but it’s not about YOU. You selfish morons are all the same. You have the comprehension level of a 3rd grader.

The fact you think you’re in better shape having contracted it and helped spread it around like an idiot, means you shouldn’t be using a computer.

Please do not vote or procreate.

12. Texas is a state that believes in MY body and MY choice and will not be pressured or coerced into changing that stance.

13. I wish The Great Orange One would say that gravity is a scam and that if you step off a tall building you will fly.

14. The great thing about this nation is that the people are FREE to make their own decisions on matters like this. Respect that.

15. The great thing about this nation is that the people are FREE to make their own decisions on matters like this. Respect that.
    —————————————————————————-——————————
    What? Sorry I have absolutely NO respect for anyone who will not get vaccinated! NONE!

16. Mike says:
    June 29, 2021 at 11:42 am

3 2 Rate This

———————

Translation: I am a selfish jerk using catch phrases to hide my low iq while possibly killing people in the process.

You don’t deserve my respect. You’re a carbon copy of all that is wrong with out society which this pandemic has so clearly exposed.

Disgusting.

17. The vaccine DOES NOT prevent you from getting Covid. I don’t understand how hard it is for people to get that. People also keep talking about the “Delta” variant and whatever else as well. They claim it is more contagious, but it’s not more deadly. The total cases are on the decline. The daily deaths are on the decline. The gap between recovery vs death has been ever widening since April of last year, looooong before the introduction of the vaccine. All of this info can be easily found on Worldometers. There are also people dying from Covid still who have gotten the vaccine as reported by the CDC and there are many who have died from adverse reactions as reported through the VAERS system. Then there are those who have had serious adverse reactions such as blood clots along with numerous other side effects. It’s a personal decision as to whether someone should get it. Let it be that. These “I’m vaccinated” high horses some of you climb up on are pretty ridiculous.

18. Over 5,000 people have died after taking a covid vaccine. Most of them were young and at virtually no risk of dying from covid. How selfish are people to demand that everyone get vaccinated without even investigating why this is happening?

19. 1billsmafia says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:08 pm

1 2 Rate

——————-

Oh yes, another Einstein heard from. An anti-vaxx Bills fan who supports Josh Allen, Poyer and creepy Cole Beasley. None of them went to class in college, obviously.

I think it’s sad/funny that people with clear, low IQs are supposed to lecture the more intelligent people who actually comprehend the material well.

What’s next? Are you going to pretend you work for NASA and build space craft as well?

“I read it on the interwebs where other easily led peoole go to feel like they’re part of a group, so it must be true.”

I weep for the country’s future.

20. I’m not getting the vaccine. My choice. I don’t care what anyone says or thinks.

21. thesnakestabler says:
    June 29, 2021 at 11:21 am

5 8 Rate This

—————

Sure, Einstein. With all those right leaning cuckoo bird politicians down there. Sure, sure.

Get to college. Read a book. Do something to sharpen the IQ. Get off the internet.

22. mnrasslinggovjesse says:
    June 29, 2021 at 11:25 am

11 8 Rate This

———————

lol!!

I am afraid that might not be enough in the rural, flat areas of the country. I still think Bill Burr’s cruise ships need to line up all around Florida at every available port and off they go!

haha

23. touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:26 pm

I weep for the country’s future.
    ————

And it’s these types of asinine comments that expose you and the like. I’m talking about factual data that you can easily find for yourself from valid websites. You turn it into a personal attack over which team I like, make accusations as if you somehow personally know me or my level of intelligence, and at like I’m presenting some kind of conspiracy theory. How did you do in the reading comprehension level of your testing? Search for yourself “Einstein” because I even told you where to look. Or continue on in your own self-righteousness. It only makes you look the worse and is of no consequence to me.

24. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much misinformation in such a compressed space. Please quit just believing what you hear from somebody who is paid to scare you and make you angry.

No, the COVID survival rate is not 99.99%. No, it’s not 99%. At the moment, it’s 98.2%. If you don’t think that’s a big difference, remember that’s life and death. Compare the COVID survival rate to the survival rate from the vaccine. As of last week, 318 MILLION doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in the United States. During this time, the VAERS system received 5,479 reports of death. Even if all those deaths were caused by the vaccine–and they weren’t–that’s a mortality rate of 0.0017%, compared to the COVID mortality rate of 1.8%. The VAERS system takes reports of all deaths, from whatever cause, after a person has received the vaccine. There is no evidence that these deaths were caused by the vaccine. So that’s well over 600 million dead from COVID-19 in the US in the last 18 months, versus somewhere between zero and 5,479 (and almost certainly way closer to zero) dead from vaccination in the last six months.

This COVID-19 virus isn’t a cold, it isn’t a flu. Many people are hospitalized, many people have long-lasting symptoms–even people who were asymptomatic are now experiencing symptoms like neurological problems.

There is not some huge difference between the Emergency Use Authorization and full approval. For the EUA, you have to be showing some results from your Phase 3 (of 3) trial and you have to have passed stringent manufacturing safety tests. Pfizer and Moderna have applied for full approval and it is expected to be granted soon. There is absolutely no reason to believe otherwise. But somehow I expect we’ll still see people saying they don’t “trust the process” or whatever they’ve been told to think by people who are paid to be fear-mongers.

25. touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:31 pm

If you can take a minute to come down off of your high horse and explain how you equate someone’s personal choice to having a “low IQ” please let the audience know.

26. touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:31 pm

******************************************************************

27. It’s a FACT that those who refuse to be vaccinated are also those who are NOT college educated, so yes, they probably are “ low IQ”!!!

28. So much agenda propaganda, lots of claims, 0 practical demonstration.

It’s called a religion. Its followers are faith based zealots, not scientific.

29. 1billsmafia says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:45 pm
    touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:26 pm

I weep for the country’s future.
    ————

10 4 Rate This

—————

This is the problem with you arrogant, non-educated people. If you even go and get a physical or to the dentist, do you tell the medical professional what’s up and what’s down?

It’s not “self-righteousness” comprehending fact and truth. You’re the guy who tells us he saw 2+2=5 somewhere on the interwebs, you found the info, and your narcissism, bred by use of the internet the last 20+ years to the point you think it’s normal.

It’s the same idiots whi have been hoodwinked by Goodell who thought the customer would not know the Ideal Gas Law, and sadly, he was right.

So, congratulations. You make up a sadly large part of our society that has been dumbed down by forgetting to get a higher education or read books, while relying on Facebook and chat rooms instead.

DUMB

30. thesnakestabler says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:51 pm
    touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:31 pm

******************************************************************

5 4 Rate

————————

Sorry, but I don’t think comprehending basic science and squashing moronic commentary from people who use Facebook for science or think they are more well equipped than medical professionals, is me (or anyone) being on a “high horse”.

If I am on a high horse, you’re at the bottom of the barrel scraping the sides for crumbs.

We’re just not going to tolerate your ignorance, stupidity, ruining people’s lives with your bigoted voting and right wing extremism, as you people continue to hijack the country’s core principles, claiming you are just trying to exercise them.

No sale. The Orange Man lost, as did you people. For good.

Ya see, you can’t hide anymore. There is a pattern here of right wing estremism and religion behind a walll of you people try to supplant with words like “freedoms”. You’re not intelligent enough to keep serving that up and expect to keep getting away with it.

Same thing with your take on gun control and everything else pretending you are beind held back as some kind of victim as paychos and unstable
    people can walk in a store with ease a d walk out with an AR15.

You’re done. You don’t get to selfishly dictate to good Americans anymore.

31. There really isn’t much excuse at this point to not know the harm which can come from these experimental substances.

32. touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 1:35 pm

DUMB
    *****************************************************************************
    No, I think the congratulations should be sent your way, as you are just another indoctrinated know it all, who thinks that a degree or “higher education” gives them the right to look down their nose at others who they wrongfully assume must be non-educated, because they don’t share the same thought process or belief system. Your rants are humorous though and tickle my funny bone, so please keep them coming.

33. remizak says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:46 pm

__________

Thank you for actually bringing some data to the conversation. Now I’d like to add some context to your numbers. The 98.2% survival rate is based on the case fatality rate (CFR) of 1.8% of people with confirmed cases have died. This is an overestimate of the risk of death because many people have had covid but have not been officially diagnosed. We want to know the infection fatality rate (IFR), which is how many people have died divided by how many people have been infected, whether it was reported or not. We have no idea how many infections there have been, but estimates have been as high as 10 times the number of reported cases. That may be high, but it’s at least twice the number of reported cases. That gives an IFR between 0.9% and 0.2%.

But not everyone is at equal risk of death from a covid infection. Nearly 80% of the deaths have been for people age 65 or over. Only 1.6% of the deaths have been in people under 40. The CFR for people between age 20 and 44 is less than 0.2%, compared to between 4.3% and 10.5% for people between age 75 and 84.

Comorbidities also have a huge effect on risk of death. For example, if you have a chronic respiratory disease, hypertension, diabetes, a compromised immune system, or are obese, you are at a higher risk of death than someone without any of these underlying conditions.

You say 5,479 deaths from the vaccine are an extreme overestimate, but I’m not satisfied with “it’s just a coincidence” as an explanation for a healthy person dying within days of receiving the vaccine. No one should ever die as the result of a vaccination. By the way, over 99% of all reported vaccine deaths are associated with the covid vaccine, so this isn’t just something we need to accept as part of vaccinations. I think it’s completely reasonable for a young, healthy person to make the decision that covid is less risky than a vaccine that hasn’t been studied for very long.

34. Obviously lots of strong opinions here. I just hope enough folks get it in time as we’re finding immunities drop after around 90 days where booster shots may be needed. It’s been nice seeing things open up, personally I still mask/lots of sanitizer after vaccination since I haven’t had a cold or the flu (where one flu strand is almost eliminated) which is nice. I at least hope those against it stay cautious for the rest of us.

35. touchback6 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 1:35 pm

DUMB
    ———–
    In all actuality, who is coming off as arrogant in this little tissy of yours? Also, your assumptions of my education level continue to make yourself look foolish. Your lack of reading comprehension on the other hand and the fact that you willfully ignore the truth, which I have presented you through valid websites such as the CDC’s very own and Worldometers, speaks about your own. It’s not Orwellian by any means to tell you the truth presented by the CDC’s own website or Worldometers which presents the numbers to you, accurately, in graph form if you would like. It’s not about FB chat rooms, or liberals, or conservatives, but it’s about factual information. Your stereotypes blind you from seeing that as you vigorously sit there trying to fit everyone into your labeled little boxes. Back to the topic at hand. This is a personal decision for the individual, to get or not get the vaccine. Let it be that. Look at the facts, not conspiracy, and make an educated decision as to what you feel is best for yourself and your family. Don’t let anyone else make you feel pressured into doing otherwise one way or the other. I may advise you to steer clear the the books “touchback6” is reading though as they seem to have done something irregular to him.

36. You cant teach dumb people to do smart things. The reason the Delta variant is going to be a big problem is the dopes that are choosing foolishly not to get vaccinated. More and more cases are popping up where fully vaccinated people are getting infected by the idiots that aren’t. Seriously this is 2nd grade Science class. Get the vaccine u freaking morons

37. Fear is a Liar says:
    June 29, 2021 at 2:22 pm

. . .

********************
    Just for the sake of discussion, let’s accept your numbers. What jumps out right away is that even your lowest number, 0.2% is still way higher than the .0017% that you get if you (incorrectly) assume that all reported post-vaccine deaths were from the vaccine.

You incorrectly imply that VAERS-reported deaths occurred within days of the vaccine and were caused by the vaccine. Deaths may be reported on VAERS long after the vaccine is given. The CDC has stated: “A review of available clinical information, including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records, has not established a causal link to COVID-19 vaccines.” In other words, there has been NO finding of vaccine-caused deaths. As you noted yourself, the elderly are at higher risk of death from COVID. Of course they are at higher risk of death, period, so it should be no surprise that deaths, especially of the elderly, occur after being vaccinated, without there being any connection to getting vaccinated.

If a young person decides not to be vaccinated, I sure hope he or she takes precautions to avoid catching and spreading COVID. Unfortunately, that doesn’t tend to be the way of young people.

38. thesnakestabler says:
    ——————–
    Except for when we’re talking about women’s reproductive help. Then Texans still believe that the government should be able to control women’s bodies.

39. The crazy thing to me is that no one talks about the potential side effects that catching Covid can have on men. Impotency. Smaller size down there. Those are two very real side effects. You’d think guys would be lined up around the block to get vaccinated.

40. iamnotasubscriber says:
    June 29, 2021 at 3:59 pm

************************************************************************************

Exactly what is your excuse then for the issues “down there” since you are saying you have not contracted COVID? Also, do you have any factual science to back up your off the cuff attempt at being humorous? A MAJORITY of people including me who had and have recovered from COVID, experienced NONE of the side effects that you and others are trying to peddle as part of the non-stop propaganda machine.

41. remizak says:
    June 29, 2021 at 3:41 pm

___________

You can’t use 318 million as your denominator because those are doses, not people. Nevertheless, it’s still a small percentage. Make it 0.0035% if you use the number of fully vaccinated people. But that 0.2% you say is my lowest was a CFR, not IFR. In reality, that could be as low as 0.02%.

Keep in mind also that we’ve learned a lot about this virus since it first came on the scene. A higher percentage of people were dying in early 2020 than are dying now. We know a lot more about what treatments are effective and what treatments aren’t.

Here’s another number for you: In the Pfizer trials, only 0.8% of participants in the control group even got covid with symptoms over a period of six months. So if you want to know your real risk for death, you can multiply your 0.2% CFR by 0.8% to get .0016%. Remember, you’re not guaranteed to get covid but you’re guaranteed to get the shot if you get the shot. They’re talking about needing booster shots after six months, so is it worth it?

Now let’s put things in perspective. A vaccine is supposed to prevent you from getting sick. No one should die from a preventative. Of all the vaccines that have been administered to people age 18-39 in 2021, 99.8% of deaths, life threatening reactions, and permanent disabilities (N = 2,101) are from the covid vaccine. For all other vaccines, there were no deaths, no permanent disabilities, and four life-threatening reactions. Doesn’t it seem like this is worth a little more study?

42. I used to tell my students you can’t win an argument with an Alzheimer’s patient. The same thing applies to antivaxers!
    Thankfully I live in New England where we not only have a HIGH percentage of vaccinated people, we also have a HIGH percentage of college educated!!
    Stop the spread of more contagious variants, GET VACCINATED!!

43. Fear is a Liar, you keep saying that Americans are dying from the COVID vaccine, but the CDC says otherwise. I appreciate that you are expressing yourself in a non-hostile manner, which makes a nice change, but I will go with what the CDC says about it. As far as study goes, of course that study is going on all the time, both in clinical trials and in real life. And the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are about to receive full approval, following the normal rules..

44. starfan79 says:
    June 29, 2021 at 10:25 am

————————————————————
    The FDA did approve it. This is the kind of ignorance that’s being pushed out there, and you wonder why people have to be censored.

45. 1billsmafia says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:08 pm

———————————————————————————-
    Another post of misinformation. No one ever said the vaccine will prevent you from getting COVID. The vaccine prevents you from getting hospitalized or getting extremely sick from COVID. There have been plenty of people who have still caught COVID even after vaccinated (just look at the NBA for example). The Delta variant is just that – a variant of the same disease. If you haven’t been vaccinated, your body may have been more receptible to one variant over another – it’s all based on your body chemistry. The gap was not declining before the vaccine, if you think it was you were getting false information. The gap declined dramatically once the vaccine was instituted. Spewing out false information is the very thing that leads to all of us being censored, so it needs to stop.

46. remizak says:
    June 29, 2021 at 12:46 pm

—————————————————————————–

The real shame is that this post has more downvotes from ignorant morons on this site and yet it’s pointing out actual factual information. That’s our current world in a nutshell.