Cam Newton: “It’s really put-up or shut-up time”

USA TODAY Sports

The Patriots drafted Mac Jones with the 15th pick of this year’s draft, setting him up to become New England’s quarterback of the future.

But in the present, Cam Newton is still the club’s starter — though the clock is clearly ticking on how long that lasts. Newton has said this offseason that Jones was the right pick for New England and the best player available. But with only so many potential starts left for the Patriots, there’s a sense of urgency for Newton’s play entering 2021.

Newton joined ESPN Radio’s Keyshawn, JWill, and Zubin on Thursday and set out what this upcoming season means for him.

“I know who I am,” Newton said, via Mike Reiss of ESPN. “At times, I do remind myself people forget who you are, and what you’ve done. So now I’m in a position where I need to be my best self. It’s really put-up or shut-up time.”

Newton complimented the Patriots, saying the organization “has been impeccable.” He also noted that he’s significantly more comfortable going into his second year with the team, which has value.

“[M]y time there has been everything I could have asked for,” he said. “I guess it’s now time for me to uphold my end of the bargain, through and through.”

Newton completed 66 percent of his passes last year for 2,657 yards with eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also rushed for 592 yards and 12 TDs.

He recently published a video recorded in September of 2020 that noted how much a shoulder injury suffered in 2016 had affected him for years. But the 2015 MVP should be fully good to go when 2021 training camp begins at the end of the month.

38 responses to “Cam Newton: “It’s really put-up or shut-up time”

1. This dude will never ever just “shut up”. When he fails miserably again this year he will place blame everywhere but on himself.

2. Cam really seems to have matured the last few years. I have never been a fan of his but I am actually hoping he has a big year for the Patriots.

3. It was put up or shut up time 3 or 4 years ago pal.
    He’s been a clown for 4 years. He cares more about his matching hats than he does winning football games.

4. Whether or not he can “put up,” at least Newton’s got some self awareness as to his situation. That alone is more than what a number of players can say.

5. Fall on a loose ball and you’re probably still playing for the panthers. But now you’re a castoff who won’t shut up. Go away!

6. Belichick will play the QB who gives team best chance to win at that specific moment. It is up to Jones and Newton to determine the starter. I think Jones is the better QB but he has to show Belichick he has command of offense and plays well under pressure of game situations. How long that takes is anyone’s guess. No one is given the job in NE you have to earn it no matter what position you play. COMPETITION rules the team.

7. I think it’s funny people think because BB calls him “qb1” after the draft, it means he is the guy.

When Stidham and Jones outplay Newton in 3 preseason games, the answer will be clear: it won’t be Newton.

He can’t throw, it isn’t on time, and he hasn’t been healthy in years.

I don’t care how much “energy” he has or how good a dancer he is before practice starts. I have not seen a worse performance since Hugh Millen in 1991 in a Pats uni.

8. It’s a shame that he didn’t work harder on his mechanics and master his craft after his rookie season.

9. It’s shut up time, cam. You had a good run. It ended in the super bowl when you failled to jump on your own fumble.

10. How can any unbiased observer read what Cam said and find fault with it?

He credits the organization and says it is “put up or shut up time for him . . . It’s time for me to uphold my ed of the bargain”.

Why not wish him well?

11. I wasn’t a Cam fan when he was a winner. I like his attitude a lot more since he got to New England. Even though he hasn’t produced, he seems more genuine and accountable when discussing things.

12. I’d say the time to “put up or shut up” was last year, after they paid you

13. For Cam it’s neither put up or shut up time. It’s sit on the end of the bench sulking with a towel over his head time

14. i have no problem rooting for Cam, its the believing in Cam after witnessing last season that’s the problem. lol

15. tigerlilac says:
    July 15, 2021 at 11:44 am
    How can any unbiased observer read what Cam said and find fault with it?

Why not wish him well?

33 10 Rate This

——————

A few reasons:

1. He was handed the job last year due to the pandemic, something BB never does. It was strange then, still VERY strange now. BB doesn’t hand jobs to people, especially ones brand new to the organization. He was forced to, I get the logic as he is a vet, but his terrible play is all over that game tape.

2. He got worse as the season went on and lost them numerous winnable games like against overrated Buffalo. No qb has ever looked that. Not Cassel, not Bledsoe, not JimmyG. While true, the TE spot was bad and the overwll skill positions in transition, it’s not enough when you have a top OL and and 2 rbs averaging over 5ypc each. He just doesn’t get the position in the NE system. If he did, he wouldn’t have gotten worse as the season went.

3. He won’t beat Stidham’s 2019 preseason and therefore it’s unlikely he bests Mac Jones, who just beat out a 5 star recruit and had a Joe Burrowseque season within the last year, helping win a national title.

We can wish him well all we want, but it’s getting tiring watching him make this own little attention platform for is own personal gain. It shouldn’t be a good ol boys club for players who think he is fun to be around or entertaining. No way BB thinks that is enough, hardwotker or not.

I think he is a good dude, means well, works hard, but he is so very clearly not a fit for their system and never was based on HOW he succeedee in Carolina which was running, and big and tall WRs to cover for his weak accuracy.

16. He’s right because he knows if he has another bad season he’s done. The seasons in two months so we’ll see what happens

17. I was never a fan of Cam, but he has had a great attitude in New England; a real team player. Absolutely it’s true his performance fell off a cliff after a short time. Belichick will give him the chance to compete for the starting job and we’ll see pretty quickly if his problems last season were due in large part to a COVID hangover or if they’re ingrained.

Unfortunately, McDaniels will have to have almost a whole different set of plays from Stidham’s and Jones’s to play to Cam’s strengths. That’s hard on a team. I’m looking forward to camp so we can see what everybody looks like.

18. Newton will be decent this year at a minimum. That’s all they need to knock on the door of the playoffs with 10/11 wins. They should have a top 5 running game, defense and special teams.

We are all familiar with p6 QB evaluations. Need I say more?

19. After what game number will Cam be benched? Under/over 3 1/2
    —————————————————
    Right now its 8.5.

Over 8.5 (-115)
    Under 8.5 (-115)

20. Haters continue to hate. And when Cam and the team surprise and surpass expectations, the haters will claim “cheating”, as they always do. Mostly out of jealousy, because their teams still suck.

We Patriots fans are optimistic and ready for a great year.

21. I understand he sucked last year and I remember the “didn’t jump on the fumble” but dang, I don’t understand the vitriol toward this guy…Yeah he used to pout on the sidelines. But I never saw him do anything malicious, mean-spirited, or toxic. And it’s not like he’s had a terrible career, he’s had awesome years. Not every QB is elite…he’s not elite. But he’s had a good career. Anyways, I’m rooting for the dude to have a comeback year.

22. touchback6 says:
    July 15, 2021 at 11:19 am

——-

I would make a bet with you on this “prediction” but as your mere presence here shows you can’t be counted in to honor your end of the bet

23. I understand he sucked last year and I remember the “didn’t jump on the fumble” but dang, I don’t understand the vitriol toward this guy…Yeah he used to pout on the sidelines. But I never saw him do anything malicious, mean-spirited, or toxic. And it’s not like he’s had a terrible career, he’s had awesome years. Not every QB is elite…he’s not elite. But he’s had a good career. Anyways, I’m rooting for the dude to have a comeback year.

—-

People didn’t like the dancing in the end-zone. They feel like it displays a lack of sportsmanship and class. People don’t like QBs who run better than they pass, and people tend to get resentful toward decent at best QBs who get overhyped by the media.

Other people have the opposite opinion on all of these things, but despite Newton’s image rehabilitation over last year, lets not pretend like it’s hard to understand why Newton is disliked by so many. It’s much the same story with Baker Mayfield, who, say what you will about the guy, would at least jump on a fumble in the Super Bowl.

24. I remember the days when the Patriots were the team that everyone had to overtake in the AFCE.

But those days are fading. Seems like quite awhile ago at this point.

25. while Cam is surely in prove it mode all pat fans will be more than presently surprised if he comes through with much better play …. as no he does not have to be a brady, but hey half of that should do ??? also puts less pressure on the new kid to be ready and can learn at a comfortable pace getting some game action at times to show the progression thus far in place !! while superbowls are not expected for a few years getting past the first round should be deemed a successful year regard of who is the QB at that time.

26. nhpats2011 says:
    July 15, 2021 at 2:42 pm
    touchback6 says:
    July 15, 2021 at 11:19 am

——-

————

Remember when he said Stidham will be the next star? He should be disappointed with the Mac Jones pick because Stidham is his guy.

27. billsrthefuture says:
    July 15, 2021 at 3:55 pm

But those days are fading. Seems like quite awhile ago at this point.

It’s the first time in 25 years that the Bills have won the AFCE, I guess that qualifies you to speak on things quite awhile ago. Jury’s still out your teams success last year. Do it again this year and they’ll have my respect.