After Thursday’s memo, anti-vaccine sentiment could cause locker room discord

Miami Dolphins v Buffalo Bills
Getty Images

Teams with high vaccination rates will have a competitive advantage. They also will minimize the potential internal turmoil.

In Buffalo, a full-blown COVID schism could be on the way, after Thursday’s memo making it clear that teams that can’t play due to COVID outbreaks among unvaccinated personnel will forfeit games. In addition to receiver Cole Beasley‘s periodic anti-vaccine Twitter rants, guard Jon Feliciano has opened up with his views on the matter. At the same time, receiver Stefon Diggs seems to be on board with the simple logic tying vaccinations to being available to play.

“It’s been proven that COVID was made in lab,” Feliciano tweeted. “Fauci also a part of Pfizer that’s why ppl don’t want to get the vaccine. Sad to come to the realization that you can not trust the government.”

Even if COVID was made in a lab (and it quite possibly was), that doesn’t matter when it comes to beating it. The vaccine has been proven to reduce the instances of serious injury and death for those who get it. And the persistent (and inaccurate) attacks on Anthony Fauci trace to one specific person to whom Fauci refused to kowtow. (And that person got vaccinated after nearly dying from COVID pneumonia.)

There’s no point trying to get Feliciano to unwash his brain, even as far-right politicians like Ron DeSantis and far-right commentators like Sean Hannity urge their base to get vaccinated and, in turn, avoid dying from COVID. But there are folks in the so-called movable middle who finally may snap out of it and get vaccinated.

The #StickToFootball point for now is clear. Some teams will have locker-room issues, especially if some players continues to refuse to get vaccinated even after Thursday’s clear indication that teams who can’t play due to outbreaks among the unvaccinated will forfeit games. The teams that can avoid such problems will have a better chance of competing with those that can’t.

76 responses to “After Thursday’s memo, anti-vaccine sentiment could cause locker room discord

1. Tough crap no good to a team if your sick the nfl is a bottom line league. Like war it is the next man up.

2. So how does a team actually know a player has been vaccinated? Just by asking him?

3. If it were feasible, I’d cut anyone who refuses…go find another gig that pays like the NFL…

4. Glad to see some people can still think for themselves. My body, my choice. If Govt wants more participants in the experimental vaccine; they would have more cooperation not forcing it on people. Just my humble observation. Funny how left said they would never think of taking it in November and now it’s the savior of the world. I was never gonna take it this quickly. Show me the side effects after 10 years in and I’ll think about it then. As for now I’m relying on the immune system that the almighty God gave me. If it’s my time to go, it’s my time to go.

5. it will be interesting to see at the end of the season just great an “advantage” teams with high vaccination rates actually have.

6. I wonder if Hopkins will face the same criticism the Beasley did. I bet he won’t

7. What about teams that have outbreaks among vaccinated players? Will they forfeit games as well?

8. Playing in the NFL is not a right.

Anyone who doesn’t want to follow the rules, pays the price.

If players don’t like it, maybe they should go find another job that pays $millions.

9. Moron NFL players continue provide poor leadership to the impressionable young in this countrt, and moron adults, who continue to help kill people.

Great stuff.

10. As we are seeing now with the Yankees, even if players are vaccinated they can still catch the SARS CoV2 virus (test positive) and spread it to others. And here in LA we are seeing breakouts and vaccinated people developing COVID. And if players have pre-existing conditions or a religious conviction, vaccinations are not going to happen. And violating a team under this scenario is simply stupid and anti-American.

11. There were no cancelled games last year and there is unlikely to be any this year. In the absence of true virtue the league must virtue signal. This a rhetorical memo and will have no real practical effect expect for maybe the opposite of what was intended. You can sense the players are already starting to dig in.

12. Should have circus music playing as some of the lunacy on here is read my god.

13. Cole Beasley has lost a step and just wants CBs to give him a socail distance cushion so he can get open.
    Follow the money-he doesn’t want to get cut 😉

14. Is it really that big of a deal to get vaccinated? I was in and out of Walgreens in 15 minutes (I didn’t feel like hanging around too long afterwards, like they suggested).

15. Did somebody just say he’s leaving it in gods hands? How do you know your man in the sky didn’t send you the vaccine?! If anybody on my team isn’t vaccinated and then gets Covid, I hope my team cuts him. The name doesn’t matter. Cut him.

16. Zero sympathy for anybody that isn’t vaccinated and then gets Covid. None. I just hope your stupidity hasn’t lead to infecting and killing others.

17. Bobo says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:00 pm
    I’ll get it in 4-5 years. Want to see if anything happens to you guys first.

————————————————————————————————

Here’s a quote that came out today in National Geographic:

“Science shows that even the most serious side effects for any vaccine, including COVID-19, occur within just a few weeks.”

The vaccine has been out for well over a year. It’s very safe. It’s very effective. 99.2% of people who died from Covid during June in the USA were unvaccinated. If you are worried about long term side effects then get the vaccine. The long term health effects of Covid are far worse than anything related to the vaccine.

18. Players have a choice to refuse the vaccination and sit out the season. That’s what freedom is all about. It’s just like drinking. It’s your choice. But you can’t put other’s lives in danger, so they don’t let you drink and drive. Too many rules? I guess that’s part of living in a civilization. I’m sure there’s plenty of room in the jungle for those that don’t like rules and laws.

19. Player X: “I don’t agree with what the NFL’s doing!”

Me: Then talk to your union rep? Tweeting doesn’t help.

20. I am unsure of the long-term effects the chemicals within a fire extinguisher may have on my health. I guess I’ll just watch my neighbors house burn down. Too bad. Oh well. At least I’m “free.”

21. biggest mistake the nfl made was putting names on the back of the jersey.if it was just numbers you could just put different guys in and no would would care or know the difference

22. Everyone is blowing this memo way out of proportion and freaking out.

There aren’t going to be any cancellations or forfeits.

How on earth are people acting like there are going to be when last year, when no one was vaccinated at all, and the pandemic was far more widespread, they got every game played in the season?

This is a ridiculous panic.

23. Arguing over how the virus originated is like firemen arguing over whether a blaze was accidental or arson to decide if they’ll turn on the water.

It’s irrelevant if it was created/modified in a lab and escaped or if it sprang up in the wild and jumped to humans. The point is it’s here and there’s a treatment for it. Get the treatment so everyone can get on with their lives.

24. I don’t care if these guys are pro vax or anti vax or what. If you’re a distraction and/or liability to your team, you’re not a team player.

25. Their league their choice. Don’t like it then leave. Sound familiar? There are hundreds of others who deserve a “shot”.

26. Jon Feliciano isn’t that good a player.
    It’s one thing if you are the QB, its another if you are a so-so guard.

27. ginjazz says:
    July 22, 2021 at 7:30 pm

Exactly! Medical records are protected….they can say they’re vaccinated and nobody would ever know the difference.

28. buffman716 says:
    ——–
    Hopkins wrote a tweet which he quickly deleted. Beasley has been doubling/tripling down.

29. I’ll get it in 4-5 years. Want to see if anything happens to you guys first.
    ——————————~—————————————————————

Or more likely we’ll be seeing what happens to you for not getting vaccinated. So far I’ve had 3 friends die from Covid. None were vaccinated. All of my neighbors and most of my surviving friends have been vaccinated and none have had any serious side effects. I’ve already seen what happens to the unvaccinated, no need to wait 4 or 5 years for that. The long term effects are pretty clear. .

30. There is a direct correlation between stupidity and getting vaccinated. It has nothing to do with politics. The federal government is making its recommendations based on science and risk. If the right really wants normal to return, then you’d think they would follow the science. You can’t fix stupid. Never could, never will.

31. aristotle says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:58 pm
    If anything this is uniting the players against the NFLPA leadership.

——————-

yea, the 22% unvaccinated majority will unite against the leadership…

32. Every player who thinks it’s a benefit vs being cut will get vaccinated. That’s already half of most rosters this time of year.

33. I have question the intelligence of people would would rather take medical advice from politicians and media figures over that of doctors. But hey that’s just me.

34. collectordude says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:33 pm
    Players body.
    Players choice.
    ____________________________
    Choice up to the point where player tests positive for COVID. Then player no longer has a choice. And if he infects several teammates, then player’s team may have to forfeit.
    The NFL should require all players to get vaccinated. Any player refusing to do so would be free to exercise his right to remain unvaccinated, but would lose all rights to payment of 2021 contract.
    Suddenly, there would be no more arguing.

35. Players body.
    Players choice.

——

Employers choice to employ them.

36. aristotle says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:58 pm

If anything this is uniting the players against the NFLPA leadership.

—————————————————————————–

Half the teams in the league are hitting the 85% vaccination rate, and I’d bet quite a few more are close. If anything, I’d think that majority would unite behind the union and against the 15% who pose the threat to their livelihood.

37. collectordude says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:33 pm
    Players body.
    Players choice.

Completely agree, and the NFLs choice to have teams forfeit if they can’t field a team due to a COVID outbreak. Freedom of choice and accountability for those choices.

38. Blah blah blah… Real simple!!!

Players that are household names can decide to vaccinate or withhold and the team will turn their heads.

Players that are fringe can take their chances or get cut.

Players like Cole Beasley can run take their chances but, best believe players like Cole Beasley are a dime a dozen. The Bill’s are already looking for his replacement.

Nobody is bigger then the team or the league. Especially with the public drama players like Beasley or anyone else causes.

Stay naive or wake up and get with the program

39. I said weeks ago this whole vaccination situation would become an issue in the locker room. It will depend who the player is that’s not vaccinated to determine how big of an issue it becomes. If you’re a bottom of the roster guy, you really have no choice. If you’re a superstar, you can get away without getting the shot.

40. Ravens would’ve forfeited that game against the Steelers last year, if this was in force, correct ?

41. Bobo says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:00 pm
    I’ll get it in 4-5 years. Want to see if anything happens to you guys first
    —————————————————————————————
    So you’re going to give the virus 4-5 years to find a host to mutate in & keep it around….. yeah, BRILLIANT!!!

42. Maybe it’s the pro-vaccine sentiment that has the potential to cause locker room discord.

43. Beasley , Hopkins and any other unvaccinated NFL player who is crying about this your actions have consequences fine quit trust me nobody will miss you go try out for a job in the CFL at 80k a year you babies .

44. These guys must be flat earthers also.

If any sport teaches you to pull as a team it is football. What is best for the whole team, organization and the world is to be vaccinated.

This is just utter selfishness or stupidity by anyone at this point.

45. I think were starting to see a crack in the word “team”. I mean what if a handful of players said, I dont want to practice at training camp because if I get hurt I lose my incentive pay. We all knew at some time something like this was going to happen as the union gets more powerful and the owners bent over too much.
    I think its fair for a comp to tell the employees no job if you refuse a vax. You have no right to infect everyone else.

46. My body, my choice. I’ll amend that a bit. My body, my choice. Your body, your choice, your consequences. Simple.

47. How long does immunity last? Is the vaccine effective against current (and future) variants? Will people need a booster? Does a person need to be vaccinated if they’ve recently had covid? What are the long term effects of mRNA vaccines? How many mRNA shots is it safe to receive in a 6 month time period? Is it worth risking side effects like blood clots and myocarditis from the vaccine if covid is not harmful to young and healthy athletes?

These are all valid questions.

48. essethegrouch says:
    July 22, 2021 at 9:07 pm

I’ll bet you 10-1 odds, that won’t happen.

49. As an owner or GM, I would cut any player who wasn’t vaccinated (unless he’s Tom Brady). Why am I making things more difficult for the rest of my team. Why am I putting my team in risk of forfeiting games, or not having a number of players available, by keeping unvaccinated players on the team.

If you are a fringe roster player refusing to get vaccinated, I would start thinking about what your next career is going to be sooner than later.

50. gatorbait35 says:
    July 22, 2021 at 11:35 pm

ginjazz says:
    July 22, 2021 at 7:30 pm

——————————————————————

When you’re vaccinated you get a card with a signature saying that you’ve had the vaccine. All they have to do is require that card. No card, no play.

51. Interesting dilemma.

Do I listen to people with medical degrees and PhD’s from Ivy League schools?

Or do I listen to guys with communication degrees (whatever that is) from Anywhere State U.

Wow. Let me think a minute. Get vaccinated people!!

52. At what point can a team void a players guarantees over statements that fall under “Conduct detrimental”

53. pedro1358 says:
    July 23, 2021 at 9:36 am

essethegrouch says:
    July 22, 2021 at 9:07 pm

I’ll bet you 10-1 odds, that won’t happen.
    ——————————————————————-
    If a vaccinated player gets Covid, it does not make them sick, therefore the team will more than likely not even know they caught it, especially if vaccinated players are not tested.

54. Bobo says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:00 pm
    I’ll get it in 4-5 years. Want to see if anything happens to you guys firs

////////////

Get the shot, don’t get the shot. I don’t care. I was vaccinated in January, no side effects, peace of mind and most importantly I am not putting my family, friends or even you at risk. But for the next 4-5 years you are putting your family, friends and even me at risk. Thanks.

55. gatorbait35 says:
    July 22, 2021 at 11:35 pm
    ginjazz says:
    July 22, 2021 at 7:30 pm

———————

That’s not how it works, that’s not how any of this works. Employers and schools can absolutely require you to provide proof of vaccination. Also, unlike one uninformed politician, a journalist can ask you about your vaccination status as it has nothing to do with HIPAA. Kids are required to have their shots before going to school for exactly this reason. You can’t tell the school to trust you and have it work.

You don’t have to provide the proof but they are within their rights to terminate your employment if you refuse.

56. iknoweverything says:
    July 23, 2021 at 10:34 am
    Bobo says:
    July 22, 2021 at 8:00 pm
    I’ll get it in 4-5 years. Want to see if anything happens to you guys firs

////////////

———————
    Well said

57. A lot of these players are really supporting the old adage of the’dumb jock’.

58. VisionTim says:
    July 23, 2021 at 10:29 am
    You think this is nuts, wait until they try to mandate this for kids.

——————————–

Why do some people act like getting vaccinated for diseases is a new thing? Half these people would be dead if this attitude was prevalent the last 50 years.

This is what is currently mandated for kids to go to school :

Four doses of tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis (one dose on or after the fourth birthday) *
    Four doses of polio (fourth dose on or after fourth birthday and at least six months after previous dose given) **
    Two doses of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
    Three doses of hepatitis B
    Two doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity

Get your heads out of your asses. Science is good enough for the above but not for COVID?

59. I don’t hear anybody getting drunk and driving and saying; “my body my choice”. Why? Because we know that it can kill others, and not just yourself. Yet, now all kinds of people that are ok with infecting others are saying it. Nope. Not when your choice can lead to others dying. Hey, if ya really want to complain about something and make stupid choices that do only affect you, don’t wear a seatbelt. I bet you already knew that it’s the law to wear one too.

60. “Never thought I would say this. But being put in a position to hurt my team because I don’t want to partake in the vaccine is making me question my future in the NFL,”
    -DeAndre Hopkins

It is what it is.

61. eagleswin says:
    July 23, 2021 at 12:12 pm
    VisionTim says:
    July 23, 2021 at 10:29 am
    You think this is nuts, wait until they try to mandate this for kids.

——————————–

This is what is currently mandated for kids to go to school :

Two doses of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
    Three doses of hepatitis B
    Two doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity

____

Wait, you’ll get the “it took decades for them to develop those vaccines” answer….meanwhile they ignore that the majority of those vaccines were developed a long time ago when science wasnt as technologically advanced as it is today.

Today, they can do things in days that used to take months.

62. “My body, my choice” *is not valid here. If the choice means you become a hazard to others, the choice is no longer yours. Period. Trying getting pulled over for DUI/DWI and use the “my body, my choice” line on the police and see how well that goes. The supreme court figured this out over a hundred years ago with their in the 1905 Jacobson vs. Massachussets vaccine case: the Court held that “in every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand” and that “[r]eal liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others.” It is NOT your choice, and it is about time people understood that.

63. Very simple. Any NFL player is welcome to go find a similar rate-of-pay job out here in the real world.

64. It’s been proven natural antibodies are a better then the vaccine. Do you research fellas and stop listening to Big Pharma..