Mike Zimmer: I’m frustrated by everyone who is unvaccinated

USA TODAY Sports

For anyone wondering how the NFL has created a competitive advantage for teams with a high vaccination rate and for vaccinated players, the Vikings have provided the example.

Vikings rookie quarterback Kellen Mond tested positive for COVID-19, sidelining starter Kirk Cousins and backup Nate Stanley as high-risk close contacts, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports. That has left Jake Browning as the team’s only quarterback available to practice tonight.

“Something like this happens the day before a game with a chance to get into the playoffs?” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer wondered aloud, via Chris Long of KSTP TV.

Zimmer did not try to hide his frustration with unvaccinated players, though he declined to talk about specific names in regard to Saturday’s developments.

“Quite honestly, after everything we went through last year, I’m not surprised one bit,” Zimmer said, via Andrew Krammer of the Star Tribune. “I am disappointed that this happened. I’m frustrated, not just with my football players who didn’t get vaccinated, but I’m frustrated with everybody [who didn’t].”

High-risk close contacts must isolate five days. Fully vaccinated players do not need to isolate after exposure. Browning is vaccinated.

“He’s out there. He’s available,” Zimmer said of Browning, via the team’s official Twitter account. “That’s important. It’s important to be available in a team sport.”

Zimmer said the Vikings will consider quarantining a quarterback in the future. The Broncos, of course, played a game without a quarterback last season because of COVID-19 protocols, leaving practice squad receiver Kendall Hinton to start at quarterback.

“This Delta variant is tough, and you can see the cases going up,” Zimmer said. “For the sake of everybody, it’s important, but some don’t see it that way.”

Zimmer said he never considered calling off tonight’s practice despite having only one quarterback available. He would not say how many other players are out because of COVID-19 contact tracing.

87 responses to “Mike Zimmer: I’m frustrated by everyone who is unvaccinated

1. Its not for the sake of everybody, Vaccinated people can transmit it and get it as well resulting in the same exact consequences.

2. I am a Packers fan and consider the Vikings our arch rival. Good for you, Coach Zimmer! Time for these conspiracy idiots to stop holding the rest of us hostage.

3. Lol no amount of media gas lightning is going to change anyone’s mind at this point. The harder you fight the deeper the hole you dig.

4. As an NFL player, if you’re not vaccinated, you’re not doing everything you need to win.

It’s that simple.

5. Football players play the toughest sport knowing that they can get CTE with repeated blows to their heads, but players are hesitant about a vaccine going into their body. Think about that one for a moment.

6. This Delta variant is tough, and you can see the cases going up,” Zimmer said.

Zimmer is an idiot.

7. elitelogic says:
    July 31, 2021 at 6:54 pm

************

Maybe reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit. What part of “vaccinated players in close contact do not have to be held out” is unclear to you?! This is why unvaccinated mid-level players are toast.

8. The CDC admitted that the vaccinated are spreading the virus. The problem isn’t the unvaccinated it’s the vaccinated.

9. Keep drinking the kool-aid coach.
    ——-

The kool-aid drinking is on your side…you’ve been grifted and scammed yet again….too dumb to realize it

10. Saying you can still get covid if you’re vaccinated so why do it is the same as saying you can still die in a car accident with your seatbelt on so why wear it.

11. therealraider says:
    July 31, 2021 at 7:07 pm

This Delta variant is tough, and you can see the cases going up,” Zimmer said.

Zimmer is an idiot.
    *******
    Agreed, and he’s not even a very good coach.

12. And everyone who is unvaccinated is frustrated with Mike Zimmer. Do a story on that.

13. nunya says:
    July 31, 2021 at 7:05 pm
    My body, my choice, right liberals?
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You’re against the repeal of Roe vs Wade?

Hello?

hello?

(hello?)

14. Being an American comes with the expectation you can stand shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor against an in-common and dangerous foe. It’s patriotic. Anything less is selfish and narrow-minded.

Change my mind.

15. I know this is difficult for the anti-vaxers to understand, but please follow along. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can spred COVID. However, the vaccinated people are much less likely to contract COVID and if they do, they are much less likely to be hospitalized or die. The virus is just looking for a host to live. The unvaccinated people are an easy place for the COVID virus to live. If 85% get vaccinated, that would greatly reduce the virus and it would most likely phase out. This is science and evidence based medicine.

16. Everyone is Zimm. Its mind boggling the ignorance of people that have chosen to be selfish and ignorant

17. The amount of time & money unvaccinated people are causing, at least corporate America is starting to figure it out. All public sector works should have been forced to vaccinate by now. If the non vaccinated don’t care about their families and teammares, maybe they’ll at least care about money

18. >> This Delta variant is tough, and you can see the cases going up,” Zimmer said.

19. I wish all the anti-mask, anti-vaccinated, pro-Trump people would put signs in their yards and bumper stickers on their cars. It would be so much easier to roll my eyes and ignore those idiots instead of having to be surprised every time. Chickens. Maybe paint a yellow stripe down their backs for identification.

20. The FDA has not yet approved any so-called vaccine. That makes it an experimental drug. What don’t you understand about a person being reluctant to put an experiment into his body? Especially one that contains graphene oxide, which is a poison.

21. 99.8% survival rate. You have a worst chance of being killed by lightning.

22. upthegut40 says:
    July 31, 2021 at 7:07 pm
    I’m with you coach. Only idiots aren’t vaccinated.
    ———————–
    Idiots and illegals who cross the southern border and are conveniently released into our population to infect others.

23. stellarperformance says:
    July 31, 2021 at 8:11 pm
    nunya says:
    July 31, 2021 at 7:05 pm
    My body, my choice, right liberals?
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You’re against the repeal of Roe vs Wade?

Hello?

hello?

(hello?)
    ————
    I’m against hypocrisy.

24. I’m frustrated by every coach making $5 million a year who finishes under .500

25. My body, my choice, right liberals?
    —–
    Really, you think the two issues are in any way similar? Last I checked a pregnant woman couldn’t infect and kill my grandmother. Unless she had covid of course.

But to the bigger point, thanks for acknowledging what we already know. For some reason this is a political issue for the right. You guys really think you’re sticking it to those crazy lefties don’t you!? In reality, all you’re doing is holding us back.

26. So coach, will you pick up the vaccine company’s liability they force people to waive? Or you still want players to waive all legal rights taking a mRNA technology that has never been approved for any use in history? It’s funny, these people want forced vaccinations, but none of them want to sign on the dotted line for liability. Let people retain their legal rights when tak ok ng the medicine.

27. It is time for drastic measures. It is time for vaccine mandates and start going door to door. You have 2 choices. You are getting vaccinated or you will be locked up in prison with the rest of the unvaccinated. Lets see how quickly the anti vaxxers change their tune. Knowing how ignorant they are they would probably choose prison. If you don’t care about others lives why should anyone care about yours. Its time for the vaccinated to stop being punished by the ignorant dopes in society.

28. nunya says:
    July 31, 2021 at 8:28
    I’m against hypocrisy.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I’m against stupidity.

29. I can’t wait to see all the complaining when non-vaccinated players are disproportionately cut on cut day.

30. It’s because the vaccinated are spreading it. The CDC says so, So wise up, Zimmer.
    —–

31. yeah joshallen as long as you agree to go to prison for the rest of your life for every person you infect. Deal?

32. I’m against hypocrisy.
    —–
    So that’s why you vote for a party that is more concerned with regulating what a woman does with her body than what the energy companies do with our planet? Lol.

33. The NFL… from Science deniers to Science zealots. How many days has it been since the enhanced virus escaped from the Scientist’s lab?

34. Funny how players have no problem using supplements that aren’t FDA approved, and they have no clue what’s in them, but object to a vaccine that’s been FDA reviewed and approved for emergency use.

35. “ Holy crap. I’ve gotta stop reading internet comments. Seeing how ignorant our society is just isn’t good for the soul.”

The CDC literally announced this last week. The vaccinated are spreading the virus due to the spike protein.

36. Its hilarious to hear all the nonsense spewed out of the mouths of the “Patriots” Actually you are Traitors not Patriots

37. Don’t worry coach, NFL players are some of the smartest people in the world, right up there with NBA players. They will figure it out. 😂

38. stellarperformance says:
    July 31, 2021 at 8:35 pm
    nunya says:
    July 31, 2021 at 8:28
    I’m against hypocrisy.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I’m against stupidity.
    ————–
    Then go back to school.

39. All the unvaccinated people who have died since the vaccine has become available, need to have all their assets seized to repay the hospitals and taxpayers. Make it very costly to be ignorant.

40. Please explain to me without contradicting yourself how getting vaccinated will keep the virus from spreading…. I’m all ears

41. howboutthemcowboys2020 says:
    July 31, 2021 at 9:04 pm

————

So…. Should all of the Vaccinated people that have died and also have infected others have their assets seized too?????

42. I rarely comment here but I can’t resist. I’m vaccinated. I think everyone should be vaccinated. But to those who believe that this is all “a right wing thing” haven’t looked at the statistics. Counties that voted for Trump have a higher vaccination rate than counties that voted for Biden. That’s a fact.
    The vaccination rate rate among whites is higher than the vaccination rates for African Americans. Blacks vote overwhelmingly for democrats. Whites vote a majority for Republicans.
    As far as people who have an issue with respondents who say “my body my choice “ —- don’t dead babies count?

43. Seriously why are so many pepole going out of their way to spread misinformation about this vaccine Don’t we all want this virus to go away ? I

44. While both vaccinated and unvaccinated can get COVID, especially the Delta variant, 95% of cases severe enough to lead to hospitalization or death are among the unvaccinated, the vast majority of which are willfully unvaccinated. In other words, the idiot conspiracy theorists are culling their own numbers.

45. I hope Lamar Jackson will pull through some how some way!? Yawn! Give me a break. If you lefty’s were as appalled to that fact that your party ignores the thousands of unvaxed illegals pouring in our country daily, your lecture might not fall on deaf ears.

46. This comment section is full of bots and sheep that are living in a Orwellian fantasy land

47. Just surrender all your freedoms for a cold with a 99.8% survival rate. Who are the dumb ones?

48. our uncle just passed because of this ‘virus’ and he was vaccinated 2 months ago…
    Didn’t help him!

49. weallhaveitcomingkid says:
    July 31, 2021 at 9:35 pm

This is exactly the type of misinformation – read: flat out lie – that people are inflicting on this country. It’s so wrong that some right wingers, like Hannity, have begun to urge vaccinations so they don’t wind up alienating their own supporters as some of them begin to die. Even Trump supporters are liable to notice when that happens.

50. pkrlvr says:
    July 31, 2021 at 8:42 pm
    I’m against hypocrisy.
    —–
    —————
    False equivalence – enroll in a logic class.

51. So many medical experts and scientists on here. Man next time I find a weird lump I know where I’m posting. How many variants of this virus are there? Will there be boosters for each variant? Yearly boosters like the flu shot? Potential long term effects? Short term effects? These are all questions the unvaccinated want. Doesn’t mean they are conspiracy theorists or Trump supporters. What is wrong with more info? I personally have no problem wearing a mask in public until we have more answers. No one knows what this virus is going to do and that’s the bottom line. The professionals all have their best guesses but that’s it. Asking questions doesn’t make you stupid it’s actually the polar opposite. I know there are alot of older people who push the vaccines because they are in the “at risk” group. I work in home service for a living and the people who were allowed the get the vac first were also the first ones to shed their masks and think they are untouchable. Doesn’t matter if you’re a Republican or Democrat we should all be cautious and ask questions. Seriously people what is wrong with that?

52. The CDC says vaccinated people can spread Delta as easily as unvaxed. The only reason that the unvaxed players are unavailable is because of an arbitrary, and unfair, NFL rule.

53. CNBC had an article about New Hampshire and the Delta variant.
    74% of their infected have been vaccinated.
    Go look it up!

54. tyelee says:
    July 31, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Didn’t help him!
    _____________________________

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle. My condolences to you and your family.

Re: “Didn’t help him!” No one that I know of has said the vaccine’s 100% effective. Kind of like having body armor on and getting shot. You might still die. But… would you rather have some protection vs. no protection?

55. As a Viking fan I knew this would happen and happy to see my team following the rules. Also, I totally under stand coach Zims frustration.

56. And I’m frustrated with the talent the Vikes have had with Zimmer’s poor performance…one more year and he’s gone IMO

57. It’s going to be an amazing year to see how coaches handle their player’s freedom of choice. NFL wants those games played! As for medical advice, not sure I’d use Zimmer as a model for advice on physical health. His noted eye problems are a symptom of his emotional anger and frustration so he was already frustrated before this. Wonder what kind of year he will have?

58. I know fear is tough to deal with, folks. But try to think critically.

There is no test for the delta variant. But the country is going to get shut down over that same delta variant.

59. Corporations that have to send people to work in certain overseas regions require workers to have a litany of vaccinations. It’s been like that for decades. No one objected. It was good business. The current issues have nothing to do with this virus or these vaccines. It’s about people trying to remain loyal to someone who decided to downplay the virus and the pandemic because he was worried about looking weak.

60. feelfeelfeelfeelmyheat says:
    July 31, 2021 at 8:17 pm

197 89 Rate This
    —————
    I agree 100% Now just get the unions to go with it. For example, the 2 largest teacher’s unions in America came out AGAINST vaccine mandates last week- one of which even hinted that they would need extra pay to get vaccinated through collective bargaining.

It isn’t a left/right debate, it is an evolution in American society since WW2. Everybody pulled together and sacrificed then. Now, everyone thinks there own “self” is greater than the common good.

61. We all are the most selfish society in all of human history.
    It’s not what we can do for our fellow man, it’s whats in it for me, SAD

62. Bottom line here is if your starting QB is not vaccinated, then you better start working on your wildcat formations.

63. justokayfootball says:
    August 1, 2021 at 8:46 am
    We all are the most selfish society in all of human history.
    It’s not what we can do for our fellow man, it’s whats in it for me, SAD

the .02% ? common man. its not like if people dont get vaccinated 20% of people will die. if this was like the spanish flu you have an argument.

64. No, vaccinated people are not the source of the delta variant spread. Yes, vaccinated can get Covid, and yes they can spread it. However, only morons believe that is the same as non-vaxxed getting Covid, spreading Covid, and dying at a much higher rate from Covid. While you cannot be forced to be vaccinated, you are absolutely much more vulnerable to dying from Covid. And when you’re lying on your death bed, don’t look to us that are vaccinated for any sympathy. Because you’ll find none.

65. 99% of current hospitalizations and deaths from covid are from the unvaccinated. 99%. Does that number need to be 100% for you to get vaccinated? Or do you need to die before you realize getting vaccinated would have been a good idea?

66. Andy22 says:
    August 1, 2021 at 4:08 am

I got vaxed and im home sick with COVID/////////////////////////////////

Glad you got vaccinated or you might be in the hospital on a ventilator.