Vikings activate Kellen Mond from COVID-19 list

NFL: JUL 29 Minnesota Vikings Training Camp
Getty Images

The Vikings finally have a full quarterback room again.

Kellen Mond, the rookie quarterback who tested positive for COVID-19 on August 1, was activated from the list today.

When Mond tested positive he was required to isolate from the team for 10 days, and two other quarterbacks, Kirk Cousins and Nate Stanley, were required to isolate for five days because they are not vaccinated and had close contact with Mond. That has resulted in a great deal of scrutiny on the Vikings and why so many of their players, particularly Cousins, are refusing to get the safe and effective vaccine that would have allowed them to practice.

Jake Browning, the only Vikings quarterback who was vaccinated, was their primary quarterback while the other three were out, and a couple of other quarterbacks had brief stays to throw passes.

Cousins appears to be adamantly anti-vaccine. It’s unclear whether Mond and Stanley will do the responsible thing and get vaccinated.

34 responses to “Vikings activate Kellen Mond from COVID-19 list

1. I heard they were going to have a throw off between Kirk, Stanley and Mond today and then cut the loser but decided against it given Kirk’s history under pressure.

2. If Mond is smart he gets that vaccine ASAP. He’s already hurt his team by not getting it. It would be best to take a positive step to mitigate some of the anger he caused among the coaching staff.

3. “Do the responsible thing” so now your pushing drugs we dont need also? The NFL had no problems playing a full year, with no shot. Oxymoron isn’t it?

4. Look, we get it. Y’all support the vaccine. I have it. I’m all for it. But I’m so tired of the virtue signaling going on. There wasn’t a need to throw in the “safe and effective” part, nor the “do the responsible thing” — let your readers decide eh? This same article is perfectly fine without those things and still gets the same message across without sounding mightier than thou.

5. Virtue signaling? Telling the truth isn’t virtue signaling. The vaccine is safe and effective, and in the team setting the responsible thing is getting vaccinated. By being irresponsible and not getting it, Mond cost his team the availability of THREE quarterbacks.

6. ariani1985 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:08 am

Mond > love

#dontwaste1stroundpicsonbackupQB
    ——————————-
    He was a third round pick, but thanks for playing the hashtag game.

7. Carl Gerbby says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:58 am
    ariani1985 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:08 am

Mond > love

#dontwaste1stroundpicsonbackupQB
    ——————————-
    He was a third round pick, but thanks for playing the hashtag game.
    ————–
    I think he was referring to Love

8. Carl Gerbby says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:58 am
    ariani1985 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:08 am

Mond > love

#dontwaste1stroundpicsonbackupQB
    ——————————-
    He was a third round pick, but thanks for playing the hashtag game.

Jordan Love was a 3rd round pick? Who knew.

9. Your house is burning down. I have a fire extinguisher. If you insisted on “my extinguisher, my choice” I guess I’d let it burn, but I don’t want your neighbors to be affected by your fire, so I’d want to put it out if not for your sake then for theirs. It would be the right thing to do.

Still not get it?

10. Can Stanley be cut already. If he makes poor decisions off the field, it’s gonna be worse on the field

11. Vikequeens have three loser QB’s as a Packers fan i love it they are no threat within
    the division they have zero accountability Covid will always be a problem for leadership less teams like them.
    Da Bears once Fields takes over is our real competition .

12. Carl Gerbby says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:58 am
    ariani1985 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 11:08 am

Mond > love

#dontwaste1stroundpicsonbackupQB
    ——————————-
    He was a third round pick, but thanks for playing the hashtag game.
    ========================================================================
    Love should have been a 3rd round pick, not a 1st. Poor kid was way overdafted.

13. You gotta wonder how bad the timing has been for the NFL this variant of Covid is worse then the last one and super spreader events aka NFL games attended by countless 100’s of thousands unvaccinated simply only will make matters worse kill many and prolong us from getting back to normal i’ll watch on TV but wouldn’t go if it were free i value my health and my families heath more then i do Jerry Jones wallet.

14. From what I heard Mond was sucking it up even before he got sick, missed practice and ticked off the coaches. It will be interesting to see how all this vaccination distraction crap hurts the team. Not gonna get into the vaccination issue and the need for a team to be vaccinated to be efficient under NFL rules, but I think this distraction will hurt the team. And I question if this team probably is good enough to overcome that. Sure has been a buzzkill on a productive off-season.

15. paulhargis57 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Love should have been a 3rd round pick, not a 1st. Poor kid was way overdafted.
    *************
    Hmm……just last April:

Todd McShay had Jordan Love graded out the same as Mac Jones and right in the thick of this year’s drafted QBs.
    His opinion, late 1st rounder in 2021.

Former longtime Giants executive, Marc Ross, had Jordan Love ranked 3rd amongst 2021’s crop of QBs, behind Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson.
    In fact, Ross, due to the need at the position this year, thought Love may even be a top 5 pick, definitely top 10.
    His words, not mine.

David Yost, who coached Jordan Love for two seasons at Utah St. had this to say, “When I showed up in January that first year, he knew the offense as well as anybody in the quarterback room. He’s going to get more and more comfortable with their offense and he’s a smart kid. He’s going to add to his database of information on what they do and how they do it.
    Whenever Jordan gets his opportunity, he’ll impress a lot of people.”

Yost, who also coached Justin Herbert at Oregon, added, “Love’s extremely talented. And he has all the stuff you need to be successful.
    The big question I got last year because I worked with both of them was ‘Herbert or Love?’ They’d say, ‘Who would you pick?’ And I said, ‘Either one. They’re both high-, high-level guys. They’re great people. They’re students of the game. Their work ethics are right. And their physical talents are what you need to be able to work with. They can both throw the football. They’re both athletic and can move. So, I didn’t think Jordan was far off of what Herbert was — if at all.”

Listen, I honestly appreciate your innate ability to navigate YouTube and watch highlights from your couch, but, you know, I’d prefer to take the opinions from people who put a little more time and energy into this.
    People who actually do these things for a living.

16. I don’t care about you. I care about the people you will give COVID to.

How can that not make sense to you people.

17. Looks like I touched a nerve there Waffle.

I feel sorry for the kid, his senior season he regressed horribly. He has to follow 2 HOF guys, and also live up to the unrealistic expectations of your fanbase.

Odds are he will not be a HOF QB, 3 in a row has never been done before.

Quarterbacks are always drafted higher than the should be, you know that just as well as I do.

18. Trade Cousins and let Mond take the reigns if he gets vaccinated. That would e the real test of his commitment.

19. Activated but alas not vaccinated, setting the standard in the league, world class yet again.

20. “Someone who has had the disease, recovered, and has natural antibodies against it still needs to get the vaccine.”
    –Guy who believes in science

21. paulhargis57 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 2:36 pm

Looks like I touched a nerve there Waffle.

Odds are he will not be a HOF QB, 3 in a row has never been done before.

*********
    No, you didn’t touch a nerve.

I’ve seen this idiotic opinion on social media a few times since Love was drafted.
    It’s usually a knee jerk reaction from Packer haters, know nothing Barneys, or a touch of both.
    I just thought the general crowd might want a more educated counterpoint by people more familiar with the player.

Now, I realize that coaches and scouts are wrong about players all the time and this case may be no different.
    Jordan Love becoming a Hall of Famer is a long shot at best and nobody expects that out of the kid.
    I’m just hoping he’ll be a competent, winning starter in this league.

Saying Love regressed his final year (Junior) of college ball is disingenuous at best.
    He had to deal with a new coaching staff and an upheaval of personnel changes, which included an entirely new O-line and several key offensive starters.
    All of this sidetracked his development, a situation that was largely covered in the run up to the 2019 draft.
    And was the single biggest reason why most people thought that Love would have benefited from coming back his Senior year.

Jordan Love obviously has considerable skills and talent, he’ll get top notch coaching in Green Bay. (Matt LaFleur has already coached 2 NFL QBs to MVP seasons.)
    What Jordan ultimately does with his gifts will be decided by his overall drive and just how much he’s able to push himself to be successful in this league.
    But this silly notion that he was, at face value, overdrafted is just plain dumb.

22. 2 novels later, no I didn’t touch a nerve at all..lol

Its great you make excuses and focus on all his positive points,all the while neglecting his negative ones.

I will say this, I like you alot better when you post like versus your usual nonsense. This site could use alot more of that instead of the usual fans pretending to be fans of other teams.

Thats the lowest form if poster on here.

Godd back and forth, I guess we will see who is right down the road.

23. Spielman is the best GM in the business and no way the vikes ever get rid of him. A real gem at evaluting talent and getting it. You can be Mond will be so good, they can then deal Cousins for more picks and the cycle just keeps going. Best RB and Receiver in football via the draft, top defense, great tight ends. All because Spielman knows what the hell he is doing.

24. Cousinsisarealfartsmeller says:
    August 10, 2021 at 3:26 pm
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————-
    Oh wow you guessed his game plan

25. Hmm……just last April:

His opinion, late 1st rounder in 2021.

His words, not mine.

—-

Last April? In 2020? Didnt love declare for the draft in 2019?

Why would they be projecting him in the 2021 draft in April 2020 when he declared for the draft in 2019?

I think you’re looking at stuff from April 2019 before his junior year when he was less than impressive and his stock fell. 20 tds and 17 picks.

26. So Jordan Love can’t deal with adversity it seems to be the consensus. He led the nation in INTs playing in a second tier conference. What will happen if he faces adversity in the NFL – where he isn’t playing the San Jose St and New Mexico defenses?

27. cancerman2020 says:
    August 10, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Last April? In 2020? Didnt love declare for the draft in 2019?

**********
    No, I’m referring to last April, as in a little over 3 months ago.

It is a fact that Love declared early and was drafted by the Packers in 2020. (He’s entering his 2nd season.)
    What I posted was the latest opinion of a former coach and where some of the leading experts thought Jordan Love would rank with the current crop of 2021 drafted QBs, had he waited.

If you’re still confused, this stuff is easily accessible with a simple Google search.