Larry Fitzgerald doesn’t have “the urge to play right now”

San Francisco 49ers v Arizona Cardinals
Getty Images

Larry Fitzgerald remains a free agent. For now.

The star receiver said he isn’t coming back anytime soon but didn’t rule out a return at some point this season.

“I just don’t have the urge to play right now,” Fitzgerald said Friday on his SiriusXM show “Let’s Go” with Jim Gray. “I don’t know how I’ll feel in September, October, November moving forward, but I just, today, I just don’t have the urge, and I think I have to be respectful of that. Football is not one of those games you want to walk out there and play and not be fully engaged and ready to prepare and do the things necessary that you need to do.”

Fitzgerald, who turns 38 at the end of the month, played 17 seasons in Arizona. He made 11 Pro Bowls and, in 2008, Fitzgerald earned his only All-Pro honor.

For all he has accomplished, Fitzgerald has never won a ring. If he decides he wants to play an 18th season, Fitzgerald could wait until late in the season to sign with a contender.

40 responses to “Larry Fitzgerald doesn’t have “the urge to play right now”

1. He got bent because he wasn’t targeted much last season in AZ. He couldn’t get open anymore and has lost two steps to age. Nonetheless, AZ will always love Fitz!

2. Too good a player to only have one All Pro award. There needs to be a voter screening process.

3. Wow, only 1 All Pro!! He was one of the best players in football for about 4 years. He may have broken all the records had he not spent the majority of his career with journeymen qbs.

Legend

4. At first I was like, oh he should just retire then. But then I was like, oh right, he wants to jump in with another team – a legit SB contender – after the season starts, so he doesn’t look bad for bailing on AZ, in pursuit of a ring, since Kyler Murray ain’t ever gonna get it done.

5. Don’t want to sound like a Fitz hater since I am a niners fan, but am I the only one who thinks he has been overhyped a little in his career? I have seen a lot of him over his career. He was never a player I was scared of when my niners went against him. Consistent yes. Good, yes. Team leader and stand up guy, yes. Game changer, eh…He will get in the hall, but if you compare him to the other receivers in there, think about how many game changing play makers you would rather have over him…there’s more than a few

6. You’re from Minnesota & you don’t have a ring. Perfect! Sign with the Vikings now and get a ring this year & retire in your home state!

7. Could see him sign w/ a contender if a no. 3 receiver gets hurt half way through season

8. Ummmm, just bag it.

If you mean that someone hasn’t thrown enough money at you to motivate you, then you’re done.

You don’t have it anymore.

Shame to see a legend drift off like this instead of having a proper send off

9. as the dozens of players who have waited later to sign in the season with a sure fire playoff team, why not someone like Fitz ??? should he want to come back and play for a ring who could blame him as after all he’s been a class act his whole career and has stayed with a crap team … not many divas at his position would have done the same while bringing themselves or the former team some shame before heading into the sign me for millions free agency lane …. and if he chooses to retire do we see him down the road at Canton ??

10. johnsmith2000 says:
    August 20, 2021 at 4:57 pm

Legend

——-

Larry was never one of the top 3 WRs in the league at any time during his career. He was good, but not great.

11. Only 1 All-pro nod? That’s surprising. Either way, helluva career for Larry Legend.

12. bkinacti0n says:
    August 20, 2021 at 4:31 pm
    ——————–
    I heard he won all of the ALL PRO awards but it was rigged and stolen from him. LOL

13. He’s only skipping off-season stuff and seeing who becomes contenders. He’ll be back on a playoff bound team by December

14. upnorthvikesfan says:
    August 20, 2021 at 5:04 pm
    ————————————————————————————————-
    The Vikings were 2-7 last season against teams that finished with a winning record. The other wins the Vikings had by less then 3 points were against the Lions, Panthers and it took overtime for the Vikings to beat the worst team in the NFL, the Jags. Yeah, come and get a ring this year. Hahahaha.

15. “Sign with the Vikings now and get a ring this year…”

—————————

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!! Lots of comedians in here today.

16. sfwillis52 says:
    August 20, 2021 at 5:00 pm

10 41 Rate This
    ———————————————————————————

Go back and watch that Super Bowl vs. Pittsburgh, he almost won that game all by himself. He never had Moss’ athleticism or Rice’s qb’s or TO’s physicality but he had some of the best hands of any Receiver to ever play. Longevity, consistency, ultimate teammate and one of the most respected players in the games history. His play is only preceded by his character.

17. He’s waiting aka no one is interested. Decent wideout who put up volume catches,tough,physical player but not a hall of Famer in my opinion.

18. Josh Morgan says:
    /////////////
    I know what you are saying, and that is kind of my point. He reminds me of a Hines Ward type of player. All around good person and player, could have big games from time to time, but still never a consistent game changer or guy that scared defenses too much.

19. Fitz has been very loyal to the Cardinals, and his performance in the Super Bowl with them was one of the best I’ve seen. He deserves a shot to hook on with a contender for one last shot at a title.

20. He’s waiting for Brady to call – Brown’s spot will soon be vacant for some reason or other.

21. Fitzgerald is not stupid or indecisive. And neither are the Cardinals. Let the 38 year old relax. The Cardinals, not any team, are not going to keep all receivers healthy throughout the season. He can come in anytime and just go and produce. Play 6-8 weeks. No problem…

22. The old retirement head fake so that you can skip training camp. Well played Larry. Hall of Fame move!

23. For those who think he’s overrated, just think of the stats he built up and the QBs he had to play with. He was a baller in his prime!

24. If he’s waiting and doesn’t have the will right now then I’d be willing to bet he’s done. I know he probably doesn’t want to go through training camp and I’m sure he’s stayed in shape. Most rosters, especially AZs, would probably let him take plenty of rest days. He’s a good locker room guy, good hands, blocks well, stays healthy, and doesn’t make noise off the field. I’m sure he’ll never get the role he wants at this age. He’d be a 4 or 5 on any team at this point and he wouldn’t get much wiggle room since he doesn’t play STs. He should’ve just re-upped with AZ and took his 300yds and 3TDs. But he’s a competitor and I’m sure he wants more.

25. That’s too bad because he stinks now. Other NFC West teams were counting on him being there and not having to cover him. Oh well happy retirement I guess.

26. Josh Morgan says:
    August 20, 2021 at 5:55 pm
    sfwillis52 says:
    August 20, 2021 at 5:00 pm

10 41 Rate This
    ———————————————————————————

———

But his team lost….right?

27. He will join Megatron and sanders as guys who should have signed with a team with a shot at the end of their careers. Fitz would make a great 4th/3rd down we in KC or Dal or where he really could make. Difference is in Chicago. He could really help Fields nail that ceiling.

28. adamb182 says:
    August 21, 2021 at 9:09 am

*************
    The only things Fields is nailing is pin the tail on the bust OSU quarterback! The hype around him is so overblown in Chicago. Yet another Ryan Pace wasted pick.

29. Fits deserves more than 1 all pro. He wasnt flashy but her performed better than a lot of players over his career.

30. Translation of “I just don’t have the urge to play right now”:

Make me an offer that I can’t refuse.