Dolphins reportedly “balk” at high price for Deshaun Watson

Houston Texans v Philadelphia Eagles
Getty Images

It’s all coming down to whether someone blinks.

The Dolphins are reportedly the frontrunner to land quarterback Deshaun Watson from the Texans. And Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins “remain intrigued by the possibility” of trading for Watson. However, Jackson says the Dolphins aren’t willing to give the Texans what they want — reportedly, three first-round picks and two second-round picks.

With the other potentially interested teams (Panthers, Eagles, and Broncos) reportedly bowing out, the question becomes whether the  Texans will reduce their demands, if the Dolphins won’t give Houston what it wants.

The most fair approach continues to be tying future picks to games that Watson plays this year, next year, and perhaps in 2023. If the Texans are willing to pay Watson $10.54 million to not play this year, it becomes more likely that they’ll get what they want in early 2022, if the legal situation becomes a little more clear by then.

Ultimately, the question is whether the Texans are willing to pay Watson eight figures to remain on the team and not play, or whether they simply want to cut and run. It’s possible that they’re holding out for the biggest possible trade package until Monday or Tuesday, when they will then take the best offer they can get.

There’s another important factor to remember. New Texans G.M. Nick Caserio, like many former Bill Belichick lieutenants, won’t want to do a deal that Belichick will regard as a bad one. And, yes, that’s the kind of sway that Belichick holds over his former employees.

Belichick presumably also would prefer that Watson not come to the AFC East. So if Caserio is going to do a bad deal, Belichick would surely want it to be a bad deal that sends Watson out of the conference entirely.

80 responses to “Dolphins reportedly “balk” at high price for Deshaun Watson

1. The fact that it seems like we are getting hourly updates as this all unfolds, leaves me to believe there will be an announcement that a team like the Raiders ends up trading for him for like a 1st and two 2nds.

2. Force yourself on a bunch of women, refuse to do your job, get $10 million dollars. Only in the NFL.

3. Wow.

They’ve aliendated the future in Tua.

What a disastrous decision by Ross/Grier/Flores.

4. If the Texans are looking for more than a bargain basement deal they are delusional.

5. Cut and run? Please, as pathetic as the Texans are they are not that stupid. They will happily eat Watson’s salary. Who cares if it eats cap space, they will suck either way. Best play is to pay him and let the legal process play out. That’s when you can get max value

6. Nobody is doing 3 #1’s and 2 #2’s. Nobody. That’s Houston living on fantasy island. For the Fins Watson would have to come at a much more manageable asking price. I would have thought if Houston came this far they would have been ready to deal. That asking price shows they are still trolling.

7. God I really hope Miami doesn’t make this trade.
    If he was not in legal trouble I would be ok with it.
    But until I hear or see something that the front office Miami says I will still consider all this nonsense and rumor spreading.
    Miami has been all in with Tua so this just isn’t making sense.
    Why is there never a person going on record making these statements????????
    Always an agent spreading a rumor to garner attention.

8. After last seasons embarrassment of Fitzpatrick closing out games for him, and now this, just before the season starts, Tua has to feel neutered.
    If I was him, I would demand a trade after this year.

9. pkrlvr says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:25 pm

“Only in America!” – Don King

10. Coupon Email says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:19 pm
    How many games did he win last season?

Watch football much? Houston traded the entire team away last year. They’ve actually been doing something stupid for longer than that, it is just in their nature. Like him or not, and ignoring for the sake of discussion his legal issues since your comment didn’t bring that up, football is still a team game and I don’t care who you are. If you do not have one of those (i.e., a team) around you, you are not going to win.

11. bigfanhere says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:26 pm
    Is it too late to trade Cousins, a first and a second for him?

Second time I saw such a comment. Fourth time it made me laugh today. Kirk Cousins Comedy is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks!

12. Coupon Email says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:19 pm
    How many games did he win last season?

Well 1 player doesn’t win or lose games..the team won 4 games

13. As a Dolphins fan after the reports coming out today. I’m breathing a big sigh of relief

14. Stop with the Belichek angle.

Bill needs to worry about other GMs judging his draft decisions.

15. Broncos, Saints and WFT are the teams that should be desperate for Watson though no team is so brain damaged as to give up so much for such a guy!

16. touchback6 says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:30 pm
    Wow.

They’ve aliendated the future in Tua.
    ————————————————-
    Tua is NOT the future for Miami. They made a mistake and they know it.IF this article is true, this proves it…

17. I think Watson will play quarterback for some team this year….but it’ll be The Mean Machine.

18. catquick says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:38 pm
    If I was him, I would demand a trade after this year.
    ————————————————————
    Tua is in no position to demand anything. He didn’t even know the playbook. Trust me, if Miami can bring in a decent QB, Tua won’t have to worry about demanding that trade.

19. Panic move by Miami’s front office after seeing Mac Jones in training camp.

20. If the Dolphins really want him, pay up. I assume Houston doesn’t necessarily buy the massage stories (and believe it to be a story cooked up by the Watson camp to force a trade).

21. greedyjimfromtonhicken says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:29 pm
    I heard the Toronto Argonauts need a QB.
    ——————————————————————————————–
    You heard wrong, Argos are just fine at QB for the 2021 season.

22. Notice that Tua’s name is not being mentioned as any part of these trade scenarios?

23. Wait, did someone just suggest that the masssage story was cooked up by the Watson camp?

That may be the dumbest thing I’ve seen in almost 20 years of coming to this site.

Beloved QB with an impeccable reputation wants out of garbage franchise… Hey, let’s pretend he sexually assaulted 20+ women…

Uh, no…

24. Looks like a ploy by the Texans too get something for him before he is suspended or goes to jail.

25. streetyson says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:29 pm
    If a classless team do fit, you must transit

————

Aaron Hernandez is waving to you

26. This trade will never materialize. The preacher and his lapdog McNair don’t seem to understand that their “Star” quarterback is damaged goods. Watson will likely be suspended by the league. What is the Dolphins front office thinking?

27. There are QB’s on the street who are better than Watson, and I’m not even talking about anything off-field. The Dolphins have no chance in the world as long as they have their current ownership making decisions.

28. For as many misses as the GM Greer has had on draft day I’d give up picks for the next ten years for Deshaun. No brainer. The picks will go to waste anyways.

29. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    August 28, 2021 at 8:52 pm

streetyson says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:29 pm
    If a classless team do fit, you must transit
    ————
    Aaron Hernandez is waving to you
    ————————————–
    Pats aren’t interested in Watson but the Phins are despite already knowing about him.

30. Dolphins have been out of this deal since before the draft, but if you don’t have anyone wanting to make the trade then you have no leverage with anyone, so you make up interest.

31. The Texans are idiots. They should have traded Watson before last year’s draft and probably would have gotten the number 3 pick (which was originally theirs)… And got first dibs at Lance or Fields. Even if Miami were to give them picks they would be in the middle or late first round now SMH

32. david2675 says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:40 pm
    Coupon Email says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:19 pm
    How many games did he win last season?

Well 1 player doesn’t win or lose games..the team won 4 games

——-

One player can definitely lose games…..

Back to this article, the Texans are absolutely insane if they think anyone will give them three firsts and two seconds. They are about two firsts and two seconds overvaluing Watson given his legal predicament

33. I don’t hear much about the dolphins where I’m at…..are they really giving up on TUA this early? Was he that bad??

34. Houston will end up settling for a first, Tua, and two seconds. Watson is damaged goods. Nobody else that bowed out can offer a qb of Tua’s caliber. Nobody is giving the Texans 3 firsts plus.

35. If I’m an AFC coach expected to be a around a few years, I’d love for a rival to take Watson for 3 firsts and a second.

36. pkrlvr says:
    ———————–
    ***Every politician in DC has entered the chat***

37. streetyson says:
    August 28, 2021 at 9:31 pm
    Jimmypinthe416 says:
    August 28, 2021 at 8:52 pm

streetyson says:
    August 28, 2021 at 7:29 pm
    If a classless team do fit, you must transit
    ————
    Aaron Hernandez is waving to you
    ————————————–

————-

Hernandez was a top 10 talent. The whole league knew about him, that’s why he lasted so long. No one wanted him. Don’t tell me the “greatest” gm in sports history didn’t do his homework on him.

38. Someone pays 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders for Watson in the current situation and they should fire the GM on the spot. I don’t care if anyone THINKS he’s worth that in a vacuum. With this over his head he should be marked 1/2 off AT LEAST and I think more. At this point he’s not your starter to start this year, and if you do plan for that you are at least 50/50 that you’re about to be paying someone or to play but go on the exempt list. Plus you will have local issues with any charities or civic outreach with women. And I’d imagine the local press will issue ZERO honeymoon and will be carving into him any chance or press availability the get. How is this smart? I’m a Lions fan we are in the desert waiting for the next QB and for me Personally I don’t want to cheer when he scores I don’t want him as my teams QB and he’s 3 levels better than Goff.

39. Manny NFL team are in the preseason euphoria of thinking that with a little luck and limited injuries, they are heading to the Super Bowl. Midway into the season, at least six of these teams will taste reality, and be looking to find a franchise QB. Houston just has to wait and they will get their price for Watson.

40. I notice they’re a number of people who enjoy bashing kirk cousins as much as me. to those fans I say, Id love to have a beer with you guys. anyone that understands what an over rated pompous phony narcissistic douche cousins is is my kind of football fan. my guess about the tua/watson situation is tua didn’t come close to the expectations they hoped to see in camp.

41. I don’t know why people are bringing up Tua’s confidence. Confident or not, he ain’t it. And the Dolphins know it

42. That asking price is insanely high, with a big contract going along with it.

This is the wrong time for Houston to maximize his value. The value will be zero the moment a criminal accusation sticks.

He’s not the team’s future. The best thing they can do is get rid of him quickly and get any value they can. A first and a second with no conditions, and offloading the contract, should look like a great deal right now. They can start next offseason with a strong draft position and a clean slate.

43. This guy is not that good and he sure isn’t worth three 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks….use those picks and draft some weapons that Tua could actually use

44. A true franchise QB does not find themselves in the position this guy is in. He may be a great performer, but is not a face of a franchise lead a team to the Bowl type player.

45. In absolutely no way, shape or form could all this rumour and chatter be started and sustained by the Patriots in order to undermine the QB of one of their divisional competitors. This would be an insane idea and no right thinking person should even entertain the prospect of it being a Patriots plan to undermine the QB of a divisional rival……..

46. polishkingski says:
    August 28, 2021 at 10:56 pm

——————————————

Ain’t nobody as overrated, phony, and narcissistic as Watson. Let him rot on the tree. Forget commissioner’s exempt list. Suspend him without pay. Void the guarantees. Then sit on his rights until this awful human realizes he’s not a god. The me too movement skipped over the most egregious cohort. All y’all Darren Sharpers gonna get got.

47. I don’t believe any of this story. This seems like the last attempt to make a team jump at a deal. The Dolphins management is not into giving away draft picks.

48. I’m a Dolphins fan, to the point I’ve made it to three of their London games, but if they trade for Watson I’m done with them for as long as Watson or Grier are there (I expect a GM to say no, or quit if told to go for Watson).

49. The idea that Caserio’s “Belichick connection” will have any influence on where Watson goes is ridiculous.

50. I continue to be amazed at how many people refuse to listen to and believe what Chris Grier and Brian Flores say, while continuing to believe 100% anything that some unnamed source says about what Grier and Flores are planning to do.

51. If the Dolphins or any other team makes this deal, here’s what they get:

1. A PR nightmare by trading for an accused and possibly guilty sexual harasser
    2. Loss of multiple premium picks that would be used to support Watson. Nice to have a great QB, but what good is it if you can’t support him.
    3. Possible suspension for a year 4. Possible jail time.
    4. A huge contract that will eat into the teams salary cap.
    5. No guarantee he won’t do it again if his current behavior is any indication.
    6. Loss of the ability to draft a cheap, young QB who could be as good as Watson by giving up those draft picks.
    7. In the case of the Dolphins, loss of a young promising QB (Tua).

An obvious ploy by the Texans to salvage something from this fiasco. I wouldn’t give more than a two liter of Pepsi and a case of Dorito’s for him right now.

52. Hernandez was a top 10 talent. The whole league knew about him, that’s why he lasted so long. No one wanted him. Don’t tell me the “greatest” gm in sports history didn’t do his homework on him

—-
    No one knew he was a murderer. Everyone knew he had some question marks behaviorally. That’s about it.

Getting drafted by the Patriots is usually a great thing for people like Hernandez because they are known for discipline vs. other franchises and if you are willing to clean up your act, focus and perform, you’ll do well. Hernandez did not.

53. As a Dolphins fan I wanted them to get Watson pretty bad 6-8 months ago…. today? DO…NOT… DO… IT. Even if Tua doesn’t pan out.. go after Aaron Rodgers next off season and draft a future. DO…NOT… DO…IT…….

On a side note. The articles point about Bill Belichick was mind boggling. Are you seriously suggesting he has the power to tell executives working for other franchises to run their teams in ways that only benefit him and the New England Patriots? Seriously?… if that were even close to being true that would be the worst collusions in NFL history.

54. Are you seriously suggesting he has the power to tell executives working for other franchises to run their teams in ways that only benefit him and the New England Patriots? Seriously?

—————————–

That is possible if Belichick was capable of using his QI to slow down defenders, as his believers have believed.

55. If Cesario is making decisions based on what Belichick might think of him, that’s disgraceful.

56. At this point, the Texans should be patient. Someone’s QB is going to have an injury or play terribly. That’s when the Texans will get the call, especially if it’s a contender wanting the best QB available.

57. ikeclanton says:
    August 29, 2021 at 9:08 am

—-

—————

So what you’re saying is the patriots are allowed to take a guy with a checkered past and try to get him straight but no one else is allowed? I see. Everyone knew he had something to do with murders. Everyone! Just like ray lewis.

58. The Texans are crazier than he is! 3 First rounders for someone who is going to be suspended until he is an old man!

59. No team is trading 3 firsts and 3 seconds for a guy who could end up being in jail or suspended. His court case isn’t until Feb 2022.