Cam Newton: Please don’t feel sorry for me

New England Patriots v New York Giants
Getty Images

Cam Newton has made his first public comments since the news broke that the Patriots are releasing him, and he’s taking it well.

Newton posted a short message on Instagram saying that he appreciates the people reaching out to him but doesn’t need any sympathy.

“I really appreciate all the love and support during this time but I must say please don’t feel sorry for me. I’m good,” Newton wrote.

Newton will now hit free agency and get an opportunity to shop himself to any NFL team that’s interested in his services. It won’t be easy to learn a new offense at this point in the season, but Newton appears to be accepting the fact that he’s going to have to try to kick start his career elsewhere.

85 responses to “Cam Newton: Please don’t feel sorry for me

1. Belechick cutting his loses. It has to be hard to admit that he and his dog GM were wrong on Cam.

2. Why would anyone feel sorry for him? He’s made generational wealth money and the Pats just gave him 3.5 mill to go away. Some fringe players never make 3.5 mill total.

3. Maybe Cam doesn’t really want to play anymore…I’m sure he feels he can make money in different ways

4. Methinks the “misunderstanding” over Patriot COVID protocols was the final straw….

5. I expect this comments section to be full of people being very nice to a very humble statement

6. They cut him because he’s unvaccinated. It may be worth the headache of having a player on your roster who could theoretically be forced to quarantine and be away from the team multiple times due to “close contact” rules and other regulations that are harsher on unvaxxed players versus vaxxed players if it is someone critical to your plans, but not for a backup QB.

It’s also the reason he will have a hard time finding a new team. Many teams may think it’s just not worth the headache.

7. Still respect Cam for taking that crap-sandwich of a job last year to help drag Pats to 7-9 without weapons and minus half their starters due to injury or Covid holdouts, and with BB using the year to totally reset their cap. My guess is some team will be minus a starter (Texans?) or get beat-up and take a punt on Cam. He’s a character but not an evil one. Thanks and best wishes.

8. I really like Cam. It’ll be easier to pull for him now.

Fortune favors the bold, as they say. BB is all in. The next few years are likely his last hurrah, and he’s going for it (unless he coaches through his 70’s, which wouldn’t be a surprise).

Mac looked amazing in preseason. But so have a lot of QB’s over the years. Vanilla D’s and 2nd & 3rd team defenses. We won’t know how he is until he faces a real defense in a real game.

9. Cam wouldn’t have wanted to be on the bench in New England. Belichick did him a favor by releasing him. Now he has a shot (albeit a long shot) at finding a starting position.

10. I’m just asking. Where Cam is now and what has transpired to get him to this point, is he a first round bust?

11. I think he has lost confidence and is kinda relieved that he’s released and gets 3.5 mil. Qb injury may get him paid twice this year. If some team bites Can should do his td celebration and show the Superman S

12. It’s a bit surprising, but not really. Why have a backup quarterback who plays in a different offensive system.

13. I think they cut him to send a message. Expect The Patriots to be the first team to be 100% vaccinated, players, staff, front office even the parking attendants. If Cam’s job is not safe no one’s is.

14. BuckyBadger says:
    August 31, 2021 at 11:57 am
    WFT is the only place I can see him landing right now.

______________________________

With Ron Rivera’s stance on players being vaccinated? I don’t think so… Rivera is high-risk for COVID since his cancer battle.

15. I feel sorry for myself, because taking down this life-size Cam Newton fathead from 2012 is peeling paint off the wall

16. I could see him signing in Houston and then Watson getting dealt at what otherwise could be called a “discount”. Houston would bring in a little star power, save face and then move forward. If only there was a connection between New England and Houston that would make this story more interesting.

17. Until his stint with the Patriots, I never really paid much attention to Cam Newton. It become clear to me very quickly that this guy is highly misunderstood and mischaracterized. All the comments about his character and ability are incredibly ignorant, in my opinion. I wonder if it’s more of a “low key” racism than anything else>

18. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    August 31, 2021 at 12:14 pm
    ———————————–

The Falcons hit 100% a couple of weeks ago.

19. This just goes to show how some organizations know how to handle players better than others. If you had told me how much more mature Cam would be after going to NE, I would never have believed it. So much for Belichik not being too “old school” able to handle younger players. Honestly, Cam was one of my least liked players in the league and in all honesty, I was sure he was gonna crash and burn in NE. Instead, he comes out if it humble and a guy I could actually root for. I wonder what

20. Cam looked ok but not spectacular in the preseason. I still expected him to be the starter for 4 or so games. Mac has just been stunning. Not even for a rookie, just stunning for anyone to be in control and operate the offense like that. It’s more about how amazing he did than Cam being bad.

21. Thankfully Cam has $3.5 million guaranteed and the money from Auburn to fall back on.

22. I didn’t like the immature, entitled, sulking, Carolina edition of Cam Newton, but since he’s been in NE, he has been nothing other than a consummate professional and the ultimate team player. I wish things had turned out differently for him here and wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

23. It’s hard to imagine someone not understanding that Belichick demands a team first attitude from his players. Players who put themselves before the team, as Newton did vis a vis the vaccine, aren’t going to be around long. The risk of losing a key starter to COVID is just to big a risk to take.

24. Cam looked good but Mac just looked better. Cam will land somewhere this season. He will be fine.

25. Anyone who thinks this is not directly tied into Can not being vaccinated is crazy. They just can’t say it. These players that won;t get vaccinated should all eventually go. They are selfish and more importantly ignorant.

26. Newton can shop his services as he sees fit, but that won’t change anything. His days of starting in the NFL as over. Newton came into the league as a QB with average accuracy and reading defenses. You couple that with his ability to run, and he was an MVP player. Now that his running is not as effective, and he hasn’t really improved in the accuracy department or reading defenses, this is what happens. Unless he can improve those two traits, his days as a starting QB in this league are over. He better get used to being a backup if he wants to remain in the league.

27. Our little league coach would always say: “Only 11 in the huddle” Cam bringing the other Cam routinely made it 12. I once heard him talk in the fourth person. I’m sorry to see him go because all three Cams can’t throw at a pro level.

28. buffalobluecollarlunchbucket56 says:
    August 31, 2021 at 11:52 am

This is highly unfair. Belichick’s GM dog had little to do with brining CAM on. The dog did not start on the job until after BB signed CAM.

29. BTW, does anyone know where CAM was when he went out of town for a week a couple of days ago?

30. He can sit home all year and make 3,500.000 in the bank that’s more then i made in my lifetime so no i would never feel sorry for him.

31. Nobody feels sorry for you, Cam. Just the opposite, in fact. Most of us are laughing at the fact that you got cut.

32. My best guess:
    Texans would be his best chance to contribute…
    Broncos would be next since Teddy and Lock are injury prone…
    Saints after JW throws a league high interceptions…
    Cardinals when that smaller guy doesn’t pan out..

33. Once again bb demonstrates why he is the greatest GM in the game, absolutely Darwinian and fearless. The same media and fan clowns criticizing him over the past year would have run him out of Cleveland over dumping Kosar and out of Boston for Law, Miloy. Bledsoe, Seymour, venateri, welker ad nauseam. Brady? Greatest ever, hated he left, but his choice and good for him.

34. goodellisaclown says:
    August 31, 2021 at 12:23 pm

I knew someone would throw out this flawed logic…Anybody who criticizes a person of color is a racist. Please…

35. He’s not going to Denver, New Orleans or Arizona; those teams need a QB, not some washed up narcissist with a noodle arm.

36. I never thought much of Newton’s showoff style, but when he came to the Patriots I saw that there was a lot more substance behind it than I thought. He worked hard, was humble, and was a great, encouraging teammate to the guys. Belichick put him in the best position to either earn his way to be the starter or get some film that will help him find another gig. I don’t feel sorry for Cam, but I wish him well.

37. therealraider says:
    August 31, 2021 at 11:56 am

Cam Newton is a scumbag.

=========

Wow. “Scumbag”? What on earth makes you think you can justify calling him that?

38. You sure it’s about the vax? 15 academic studies have found that natural immunity offers immense protection from COVID-19. Didn’t Cam have covid? I tend to believe this is performance/$ based decision

39. Didn’t Bellichick said Cam was the starting QB earlier this summer? Can’t trust this guy. Wait till Mac ran into trouble. what will he say then?

40. The Vikings need a QB. Like real bad. And an O-Line, TE, better Def…but Cam can’t do it all.

41. Scumbag? Really? So totally uncalled for to say that. Cam is a very interesting guy with a larger than life personality. I’ve loved watching him all these years and wish nothing but the best for him!

42. Cam was not cut because he was not vaccinated.
    That is asinine to think.
    Quality QB’s are precious and the reason Cam was cut is because he is no longer a quality QB

What is also asinine to think is that if you are vaccinated that you will not get Covid.
    Everyone needs to understand and the NFL is finally coming around to the fact over 40% of those getting the delta variant have been vaccinated.

So everyone needs to relax as the vax is not the panacea (yet).

43. 174eva says:
    August 31, 2021 at 2:33 pm
    Cam was not cut because he was not vaccinated.
    That is asinine to think.
    —————————————————————————————————-
    Tell us all how you know. Im sure you also think the same about the players who opted out last season and were cut this season.

44. A first round bust, REALLY? Many if not most teams would take ANY player in the first round if they became the league MVP (even if for only one year) AND helped take their team to the Super Bowl (even if for only one year)!! Come on man, seriously???

He might not be good today but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t great at any point!

covid19 says:
    August 31, 2021 at 12:01 pm

45. Cam getting cut reminds me of Chad Johnson.You can’t get by with sheer athleticism with the Pats.They demand knowing the playbook and making quick correct decisions and adjustments.

46. Where do you get your info, you’re WAY WAY WAY OFF!! By a factor of about 1000!!!
    Around 0.04% of covid cases are breakthrough (happen in vaccinated people), NOT 40%

(https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/here-are-the-most-common-covid-symptoms-in-vaccinated-people/2453114/)

(https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/08/10/us/covid-breakthrough-infections-vaccines.html)
    —————————————————–
    174eva says:
    August 31, 2021 at 2:33 pm

Cam was not cut because he was not vaccinated.
    That is asinine to think.

So everyone needs to relax as the vax is not the panacea (yet).

47. Christopher Allan says:
    August 31, 2021 at 3:20 pm
    174eva says:
    August 31, 2021 at 2:33 pm
    Cam was not cut because he was not vaccinated.
    That is asinine to think.
    —————————————————————————————————-
    ________________________________________________

Because you do not cut a valuable QB from your team just for being unvaccinated. They made it through an entire season last year unvaccinated.
    Plus the vaccinated have a 40% delta infect rate.
    So why are you going to cut a key player from your team for this?

If Cam was still good he would still be on the team but Cam stinks now so he was cut.

48. “Feel sorry” never crossed my mind. “Completely expected” and “LOL!!!” came immediately to mind.

49. Mac had a good camp, Cam misunderstands Covid rules, Cam costs a fair amount, Cam is not the future, Cam can be flaky – BB not so much. Times up bud – buh bye.

50. I’m struggling to pay my bills. I have no idea how I’m going to survive if the economy fails again. Cam is a multi-millionaire, many times over. There are a lot more people in America who are in my position than Cam’s. I think what he’s saying is don’t feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for yourself. He’s going to be ok. Us? Not so much. As far as football goes, someone will pick him up and pay him millions more. It will be one of the more stable teams who already have an elite QB, but either get an injury or wouldn’t mind having an insurance policy, should anything happen. A team like Seattle, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh. A team with a coach who’s not insecure. Like Belichick did last year. Bill’s not insecure. Cam can step in with a solid team and win 10 games, and get to the playoffs.