Cam Newton: Patriots would’ve released me whether I missed time or not

New England Patriots v Philadelphia Eagles
Getty Images

Cam Newton promised to share thoughts about his release from the Patriots with a “Funky Friday” video and he proved good to his word on Friday morning.

Newton sat down with his father for a conversation on YouTube about his final days with the team, including the days of practice he missed after failing to follow COVID-19 protocols during days off in August. Newton said he thinks he would have been released whether he was with the team for all of their practices or not.

“Do I think this would have happened without me being away for five days? Honestly, yes,” Newton said. “It was gonna happen. Did it help ease the decision? Yes.”

That led to the question about why he did get released when the team made its final cuts on August 31. Newton said he was getting fewer first-team reps than Mac Jones in practices, which pointed to the team’s eventual decision. Newton said he would have “absolutely” been fine backing up the rookie and told the Patriots that was the case, but was confused when he realized he was being released during a meeting with Bill Belichick and Matt Patricia.

Newton went on to say that he believes he was released because it would have been uncomfortable for Jones to start his career with Newton looming over his shoulder.

Newton said he thinks the Patriots would be winners with either quarterback, but that sticking with him and starting well would have made it harder to go to Jones at some point this year. The Patriots opted to go right to Jones and Sunday’s game against the Dolphins will provide the first chance to see how the rookie does in the role Newton wanted to fill this season.

62 responses to “Cam Newton: Patriots would’ve released me whether I missed time or not

1. When a Cam Newton refers to himself in the 3rd person twice in one sentence, I lose all interest.

2. This guys ego is way too big, Now we know they cut him because he would definitely have been a distraction.

3. I still believe if Cam had gotten the vaccine and NOT missed that five days, he’d be on the squad.

But the danger the unvaxxed present to an NFL locker room and the penalties a team will endure if they have to forfeit a game are too great to disregard a “misunderstanding of league protocols” by a veteran.

I hope it works out for him.

4. too much video, too much talk if you aren’t bitter about it all. got paid well to be a training camp body. count your blessings cam and swallow some pride. not a good look

5. Cam: Just stop talking, before your ego digs you any deeper into your own grave than it has already.

6. As usual, all the mediots were speculating on how Cam was going to rip the Pats a new one, and then we get the reality. A well thought out reason on why Cam was cut. Jones fit the offense better and simply beat him out.

And he was right about why the Pats didn’t keep him as a back up.

7. I mean, his release was the only one that was breaking news on cut-down day. He’s a confident guy, former league mvp and was the incumbent starter. He absolutely was going to be a distraction because the narrative would have been “how long is Mac’s leash”. Fact is he generates interest, like it or not,

8. Fans are funny. You hate it when players give the canned coach-speak i’m-talking-the-media answers.

But then you hate it when players actually speak their truth.

Which way do you want it? Do you want the truth, or BS?

I respect Cam for speaking the truth. And what he said makes sense. Once they realized Mac Jones was ready, they didn’t want the specter of Cam there if/when he struggles. Where I think they are short sighted is that I haven’t seen ANY indication Cam was going to be a problem as a backup QB. I think he would have made their QB room better. Who’s there for Mac to talk to now, Stidham? Is Hoyer still there?

9. “Just my aura. . . . That’s my gift and my curse. When you bring a Cam Newton to your facility, when you bring a Cam Newton to your franchise, people are interested.”
    Talking in the 3rd person again is Cam being Cam. But the AURA comment is totally hilarious.

10. And Brady doesn’t have an ego? Like Cam or not, what he says makes a lot of sense. Many QBs throughout NFL history will tell you, they played a lot better, when they knew the job was theirs and they did not have the look over their shoulder. From a business and team standpoint, good job on the Pats to move away from a distraction in Cam because that’s a real thing. Let the promising rookie thrive knowing the position is his.

11. He would not of made a good back up. The offense the Patriots run never was suited for Cam’s style.
    Add that while Cam was in NE, he couldn’t even play to his potential. The guy’s career appears to be over on the field.

12. Probably has more to do with running two types of offenses. Mac Jones seems to be able run the offense the Patriots have using for years. Cam ran an offense that was designed to mask his deficiencies.

13. For the folks saying Cam couldn’t run that offense, its laughable.

If you weren’t aware, Bellichick wanted Lamar Jackson in the 2nd round of that 2018 draft. Ravens just traded up and sniped him.

Bellichick has raved about Lamar since then when asked to talk about him as a player. Anyone who follows the Pats knows that Bellichick is sparse with his praise of opposing players.

Cam is advanced in his career but I think you were going to see him attempt to do with Cam what they would have wanted to do with Lamar.

2 TEs, run the ball, play action and stake the top off here and there. Nasty in the red zone because you have an athletic QB and good RB.

Cam would have been good as the Pats starter for 2021. It just turns out, the Pats were gifted Mac Jones at 11.

A lot of teams are likely going to regret letting Jones slip to the Pats.

14. “Nobody talks in the 3rd person better than him”

Rickey Henderson was pretty good at it. zBo Jackson as well.

15. Cam Newton is the worst QB I’ve seen in a Patriots uniform.

As bad as Cam was, he was miles and miles better than what the Patriots had 1989-1992. Hugh Millen, Scott Zolak, Tommy Hodson etc.

16. This dude. My Lord. I’ve never seen someone who is so clueless and has such a lack of self awareness. Cam’s world changed the minute he failed to dive on that ball. He was always considered goofy and we knew he’d embarrass himself at the podium but he lost the casual fan that day. Now, I kinda feel bad for him.

17. Good for him not to trash the Pats and their decision to cut him. It’s always important how you handle bad news. It speaks a lot about your character if you respond to setbacks with dignity and class. I respect Cam a lot for how he dealt with this and wish him luck with another team or wherever life leads him. How he handled himself today was a great first step in the right direction for his future. Good man!

18. Um, Belichick had the opportunity to draft Lamar Jackson TWICE and passed, taking Wynn and Michel instead….

19. Newton said. “Just my aura. . . . That’s my gift and my curse. When you bring a Cam Newton to your facility, when you bring a Cam Newton to your franchise, people are interested.”

____

Wow. Seriously? Aura = ego. Cam loves him some Cam.

20. Personalities are always interesting to watch. Just stick Tim Tebow into some of the above comments and contemplate. The guy was an uniquely gifted athlete with an oversized persona who played QB like an FB. He never fit the Pats’ system. Makes for a shorter career. Kinda like Kuechly in length of career.

21. ‘Newton said he enjoyed working with Jones while adding, “Mac Jones didn’t beat me out. But I would have been a distraction. ‘
    I think he DID beat you out.

‘Just my aura. That’s my gift and my curse.’

Man, what an ego. I’ve never seen a guy like this in the NFL.

22. A true leader would have been vaccinated. As our President said again yesterday Covid-19 is now a disease of the unvaccinated.
    If you are not part of the solution to ending this pandemic, you’re part of the problem!
    Glad him and his unvaccinated body are gone from Massachusetts.

23. “The reason they released me is because, indirectly, I was going to be a distraction without being the starter,” Newton said. “Just my aura. . . . That’s my gift and my curse. When you bring a Cam Newton to your facility, when you bring a Cam Newton to your franchise, people are interested.”

What good does that do for your career by telling that to the public and NFL GMs and coaches?

24. patsfan1818 says:
    September 10, 2021 at 10:20 am

Cam Newton is the worst QB I’ve seen in a Patriots uniform.

================================================================================

If that is accurate, you must be very young. There were some very bleak QBs prior to Bledsoe’s arrival.

25. When a 10yr veteran QB isn’t as good as a rookie that hasn’t even taken a snap in a regular season game this is what happens!

26. I’m not a Cam fan but it’s pretty obvious the folks bashing Newton referring to himself in the 3rd person haven’t seen the video. He was plainly trying to objectively illustrate how having the fan’s and media’s ‘Cam Newton’ in the building and over Mac Jones’ shoulder would be problematic at best. This is definitely a case where context matters. I have to say I have a very different appreciation of Newton having watched the video. He was gracious, objective and accepting of the circumstances. Worth the watch

27. Don’t burn bridges Cam. Now teams will be hesistant to bring you in as a backup even if they want to.

28. Sure high on himself for a guy that hasnt did anything lately… Trying to repair his ego on his own is all this video was…

29. shutiggyupdotcom says:
    September 10, 2021 at 11:46 am
    patsfan1818 says:
    September 10, 2021 at 10:20 am

Cam Newton is the worst QB I’ve seen in a Patriots uniform.

Tommy Hodson..

30. Cam could have been a good voice and knowledge there akin to how RG3 was for Lamar Jackson. A veteran QB as backup has value.
    ————————————————————————————————-
    I suppose you think that a rookie QB has nobody to talk to. Ever hear of a QB coach? I suppose teams should be rushing to sign Alex Smith after one season of wisdom transferred to Patrick Mahommes, right? Why about the one season of wisdom transferred to Dwayne Haskins? Like RG3 was for Lamar Jackson? More like RG3 was taking notes himself when Jackson stepped onto the field as a rookie.

31. well hells bells there folks if his aura could throw better than the real thing .. why all this would be just a bad dream n cam the man would still be on the team huh ??? hope you saved and invested your money well.

32. I hope he gets vaccinated since his only real shot at playing this year is being re-signed by the Pats if Jones has a significant injury. It’s best he not burn any bridges.

33. Cam’s view that he was released because the Patriots perceived that he would be a distraction that Mac would not have been able to handle sounds pretty sound. And likely true. A number of analysts had in fact seen it that way.

34. “aura”? Is that the new name for stench? As “stench of cowardice” in failing to pick up a fumble in the Super Bowl?

35. This whole interview makes Cam Newton look bad, For a guy who thinks 32 other quarterbacks aren’t better than him he comes off as very egotistical. Dude needs to humble himself and come to the realization that he is no longer a starting caliber quarterback in the NFL. It’s very simple all he had to do was get vaccinated and maybe he still would’ve been on the roster. The rookie was teaching you, A veteran the playbook, that right there was a huge red flag like Mac had it down in 3 months and you had over a year. Good luck to you Cam that’s all I’m going to say.

36. Quarterbacks are paid to win games, not to score rushing touchdowns or make bad decisions on the field. Painful fact is that Newton failed to lead New England into the playoffs last season, even though New England was a playoff team in 2019. New England thinks that Mac Jones can lead the team to the playoffs in 2021. So, it is an easy decision to get rid of Newton, who makes a lot more money than MacJones. Newton’s old coach does not want him either. He should hang it up.

37. Proving the Patriots right that cutting him was an addition by subtraction.

A basic and very reasonable assumption is that as a professional he should understand the rules around the testing process. Always someone else’s fault…

38. Cam Newton was nothing but a professional when he was with the Pats. The Diva days were behind him. He gained the team’s, and my respect. I wish him well. Someone who mentioned TV is prolly right. Assuming he can’t start in the next year or maybe two. He will be dressed to the nines on some network.

39. snakecage says:
    September 10, 2021 at 10:09 am
    Why have an unvaccinated back-up QB? Seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

—————————————
    —————————————
    Isn’t Brian Hoyer an unvaccinated back-up QB?
    Which by the way, makes little sense to me. A back-up QB who’s unvaxxed is the next man up and behind a rookie to boot.

40. take a year off and get in the best shape of your life. maybe we’ll get once last ride of glory. Honestly consider switching positions if that shoulder never heals, I believe Cam Newtown could play pretty much any position.

41. An un-vaccinated backup QB is just not worth the hassle … or the risk. This will probably prevent him from getting a backup role also. Teams may not say this but they are going take that into account before signing any new backup players I would think.

42. 1dayatatime says:
    September 10, 2021 at 12:59 pm

snakecage says:
    September 10, 2021 at 10:09 am
    Why have an unvaccinated back-up QB? Seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

—————————————
    —————————————
    Isn’t Brian Hoyer an unvaccinated back-up QB?

——–

If he is un-vaxx’d I would agree with you … maybe the saving grace for him is that he can run the same offence that Jones will be running?? Newton could not run it effectively … just speculating of course

43. This is what we get with social media & the internet. He has never been the same since the Bronco’s crushed him at SB. And fine if you don’t want to play again retire. But if you do the NFL has signaled that you need to be vaccinated period. If your running a team or your coach do you want someone who A: can’t play for 5 days? B: could infect your team or maybe cause them to forfeit a game?? No thanks.

44. It’s very difficult for a former league MVP to transition into being a backup, especially if he still has designs on starting again. It’s one thing when it’s someone like Matt Hasselbeck or Mark Brunell or even Joe Flacco, but I don’t think anyone thought Cam would be content as a backup, nor should he be… Sadly, I don’t see him getting another chance unless there is an injury to someone where Cam could come in and pick up the offense very quickly and there are probably only a handful of places where that would apply.

45. You don’t waste a first round pick on a QB if you’re not planning to play him, unless you’re Green Bay. Green Bay doesn’t have an owner. Everyone else does. Furthermore, they used Cam as a human battering ram last year, and that’s not how teams use a QB that they’re planning on having around long term. So Cam probably read the tea leaves accurately. Also, the Pats won six super bowls with Tom Brady. They’d probably look for someone with a similar skill set, if possible, and Cam has very little in common with Brady. I’m not sure Mac Jones, or anyone else does either, but he must have shown them something that Cam didn’t show them. But anyone who’s been paying attention to the NFL over the last 20 years, probably wouldn’t think Cam Newton and Bill Belichick were a good match.

46. And with that his NFL career is OVER!!! No team is going to take him with that mouth and attitude. I’m not saying that what he said is wrong, just that teams do not want to hear it when you are going out the door.

47. Cam can say and believe whatever he wants to. The fact is that he was not very good and he was never a good fit in New England. End of story. He needs to move on.