Aaron Rodgers: I take full responsibility for people who felt misled

Green Bay Packers v Carolina Panthers
Getty Images

In his second interview since the revelation that he has not been vaccinated, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers showed more contrition than he did in the first.

Although Rodgers didn’t come out and admit that he was lying when he said, “Yeah,” when asked if he was vaccinated, Rodgers did acknowledge that by saying he was “immunized” he made a misleading statement.

“I made some comments that people might have felt were misleading. And to anybody who felt misled by those comments, I take full responsibility for those comments,” Rodgers said.

But while Rodgers was taking “full responsibility,” he still played the verb tense game where he apologized only to those who “felt misled,” as if it was just their feeling, and not his own actions, that he was apologizing for. The reality is, people felt misled because Rodgers misled them about his vaccination status.

107 responses to “Aaron Rodgers: I take full responsibility for people who felt misled

1. Just retire this week and be done with it, Rodge. The would will be a better place as a result.

2. The good old clarification of the clarification that appears to have another clarification on the way.

3. The “non-apology apology”.

I am guessing this is a first attempt to salvage his relationships with his endorsement partners. Well, except for State Farm. They are cool with it. Because anti-vaxxers DEFINITELY need insurance…

Guarantee where you see Rodgers’ SF commercials: The deepest, darkest red areas of this country.

4. Just let it go….honestly is this really effecting anyone on here. If you want to take the shot you will, if you don’t, you’ll find some reason (right or wrong) not to. I highly doubt Rodgers was the tipping point for some people. We have gone long enough for people to make what ever decision they are going to make about this. The constant articles and scrutiny against guys like Kyrie Irving and Rodgers only deepens their resolve around their decision, they won’t cave bc the media, the media only makes them dig in deeper. I took the shot bc it was the right decision for me, but I’m not going to force my views or opinions on others bc I don’t know their situations or their bodies. Whether the media likes to admit it or not this shot isn’t a one size fits all as most things are when it comes to medicine or health.

5. Joe Rogan must be giving him PR advice besides medical advice. Find new advisors dude, you are being woefully underserved by your current staff.

6. No doubt,Aaron Rodgers’ personality/persona is an acquired taste as Green Bay Packers fans will attest…it’s this laidback,west coast,bohemian,hippie,moody, passive-aggressive 5 yr. old child. All summed up with one word “difficult.” Aaron really shot himself in the foot with this one

7. I’ve never changed my opinion of an athlete this quickly since Tiger Woods.

I liked Aaron Rodgers. I liked the fact that he appeared to be wired a little differently than your typical football lifer.

That’s all gone. I could have gotten over him not being vaccinated (if he’d admitted it), but that train wreck of an interview dragging out that tired, meaningless “woke” tripe, and this half hearted non-apology have caused me to do a 180 on him.

I know you couldn’t possibly care less, dude, but you’ve lost this fan forever.

8. “ minime says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm
    His body.
    His choice.”

Yeah, but if he chooses not to get vaccinated he still needs to 1) not lie about it, and 2) follow to rules that other non-vaxxed people are required.

9. The only reason he said anything at all is because somebody convinced him that he “had”” to. This forced apology still doesn’t take accountability for his actions running around maskless and unvaccinated.
    Go pound sand Rodgers

10. Just so everybody knows, that was a piss poor apology at best
    ==========

Since it went over your head, it wasn’t an apology at all..

11. He claims to be taking full responsibility when he is, in fact, taking no responsibility at all. There is no contrition and no apology in what he said. His words are meaningless.

12. minime says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm
    His body.
    His choice.

——————

His union.
    His rules to follow.

13. minime says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm

His body.
    His choice.
    *********************************
    No question about that, it is absolutely his choice, just like this is;
    Tell the truth
    Tell a lie
    His choice
    He chose the latter, reinforced his lie on the Pat McAfee show, and now he whines about being “Crucified”. Get real!

14. Somebody from State Farm told him to back down and act sorry or he will be replaced by Lemu Emu and Doug from Liberty Mutual.

15. minime says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm
    His body.
    His choice.

35 83 Rate This

———————

His mouth, his choice too. And, someone needs to shut it for him.

16. Some people just don’t when to shut up, he would be better off if he stopped talking but Erin is always the victim.

17. This is akin to saying “I’m sorry you decided to let your fragile feelings be hurt.” Nice. Aaron.

18. Rodgers didn’t want to catch heat and in doing so he jumped into a volcano. The level of hate or “I’ll never like him again” is so disingenuous. First off he did point out a lot of the hypocrisy with the NFL Covid protocols, everyone should be tested every day. The NFL has known about his vaccination status for months before this came out as did his team/teammates, probably some media members too. None of you know what he does outside of the facility, so to act like he’s going around sneaking into your house and breathing on you is just fake outrage. We all know Rodgers by now he is a me first, thin skinned, highly talented QB. The Packers organization should be taking just as much criticism as Rodgers, but Rodgers blasted them before the season and they are clearly scared of him at this point and trying to play nice. If the Packers didn’t enforce the league rules when he was talking to the media, they know he meets with them after every game or potentially enforce all the rules around the facility, they chickened out. Again Rodgers is who is he, but the Packers organization straight up chickened out.

19. I dont care if he is or isnt vaxxed/immune, I do care that he was breaking NFL rules and deserves to be punished for it.

20. Imagine the reaction if the game he sat out was the Super Bowl and not a regular season game considering how this has blown up.

21. Hoping that this is a proper use of irony. I find it ironic that screen name whinycryinglibs posted this: “Lots of sniveling, self righteous people out today.”

Methinks you are engaging in the very same conduct that you profess to oppose.

22. minime says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm
    His body.
    His choice.

==============

He was free to sit out the year like a bunch of players did last year.

23. even now he still can’t just come clean and apologize for lying or misleading. it’s only apologizing for our hurt feelings. he still doesn’t think he did anything wrong. The guy welches on football bets, how can we expect him to not welch on this too. can never admit wrongdoing.

24. Never seen this dude take responsibility for anything. It’s always on someone else.

25. One more thing. (Which is not applicable in this case, but) we need to START recognizing FULLY that anybody who GOT COVID and recovered is (better) “IMMUNIZED” as well. And doesn’t need to get the vaccine to protect against spread.

And (follow the science as they say) recent infections and data are showing that the efficacy of immunity from the vaccines is diminishing WAY more quickly than originally thought it would.

26. He is still blaming “the people who felt mislead”. In other words it’s those people’s fault who heard his lie, not he himself who said the lie. Ridiculous. Take some responsibility Karen. Own up like a man and then u can move on. Keep blaming others and this will be hanging over ur head for a long time.

27. skidmarknamedpats says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:52 pm
    Rodgers didn’t want to catch heat and in doing so he jumped into a volcano. The level of hate or “I’ll never like him again” is so disingenuous. First off he did point out a lot of the hypocrisy with the NFL Covid protocols….
    _________

There is no hypocrisy, there is nothing disingenuous, about pointing out and emphasizing how wrong AR is here. He put people at needless risk. He has given aid and comfort to those who peddle dangerous “treatments” that do absolutely nothing to prevent or treat covid19.

This is not a glass houses throw stones situation. One does not have to be perfect in order to point out the complete irresponsibility here.

28. I’ll give Rogers credit for bringing the country together.

He thought by using the term “woke” he could get a majority of NFL fans to support him; then he said “crucified” and exposed himself as a tone deaf prima donna.

Now everyone thinks he’s obnoxious.

29. Go forward, shut up, play hard, win as much as possible up to and including a Super Bowl should we be so blessed, get traded in the off season. See ya.

It will have blown over enough by then that QB needy teams will still pay a king’s ransom to the Pack in the way of draft picks.

30. Not a good stretch here for the league. First Gruden-gate, then three really egregious examples of bad human behavior in short succession (Ruggs, Rodgers and Arnette), capped off last night by blatant game-fixing by the officiating crew of Bears/Steelers on primetime national TV. The machine is falling apart at all levels.

31. bottom line is he’s still deflecting the blame, just like “woke mob” and “cancel culture” are deflections.

it’s no me, it’s you

32. It will be interesting to see whether the fans will ‘boo’ or ‘cheer’ him when he enters Lambeau field this Sunday.

33. Nostradamus says:
    November 9, 2021 at 3:47 pm
    ————-

At Lambeau they will definitely cheer him. At away games, people will probably start “LIAR” chants.

34. gibson45 says:
    November 9, 2021 at 3:35 pm
    skidmarknamedpats says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:52 pm
    _________

—————————————————————
    I am in no way excusing what Rodgers did, he was wrong. I’m only stating the level of heat he is receiving should also go towards the Packers organization and the NFL, but they are also to blame here, they are just as responsible as he is. They knew he was wrong waaaaaay before this was reported, they also put people in harms way and knowingly continued to do so. The NFL knows just as everyone by now that the vaccine doesn’t and wasn’t created to help you not get Covid bc you can if you are vaccinated, which is the hypocrisy I was speaking about, Rodgers was correct about that, which is the only thing he was on. We all know how this plays out, he comes back , they win and the media moves on.

35. Taking full responsibility means saying “I take full responsibility FOR MISLEADING PEOPLE.” I don’t *feel* misled, I *was* misled.

36. The only ones accepting that lame apology are the groveling green bay Packers. Rodgers will be back starting this Sunday no questions asked and the fans will be cheering him on.

37. He actually said he misled them, listen to the whole it interview and report properly

38. He needs a publicity agent as badly as he needs a decent doctor. He’s truly incompetent at managing his public image and making medical decisions based on facts supported by pretty much the whole of human medical science.

39. He takes responsibility for this who “felt” misled. How noble of him.

There is nothing worse than a non-apology apology. It’s like he doesn’t expect people to fathom the depth of his awesomeness, so he talks around them. I’m done with him.

40. Its a REVELATION….

Honestly, its not a revelation, its the truth. Enough with the over-sized drama.

I am not trying to take away from the matter that Rodgers said/did what happened, but to call it a revelation?

This is officially out of control. Watch Rodgers put up numbers this week on all of the commenters fantasy teams and then they will be quiet. Or trade him to me, because I could use him.

41. Rodgers didn’t mislead people…..He lied. And when people pointed out his lies, he lied some more.

42. stellarperformance says:
    November 9, 2021 at 4:56 pm

I’m done with him.

++++

Show us. Stop telling us.

43. I’m out of touch, I know. But why does everyone care so much about his vaccine status? The fact that everyone cares more about his “lying” more than his actual health and well-being for getting covid proves that Rodgers made the correct decision in not getting vaccinated. Which is each person’s decision. And I am vaccinated.

44. They care less about his vaccine status than that he lied about being vaccinated, putting others at risk for catching COVID.

45. radar773 says:
    November 9, 2021 at 5:11 pm
    ___
    Exactly. He thought we was so smart and would lie so that he would not have to follow covid protocols but he was not smart enough to have a plan in case he got caught lying. Like what to do in case he caught covid. Dummy.

46. “I would add this to the mix as an aside, but the great MLK said you have a moral obligation to object to unjust rules and rules that make no sense.”
    ___
    But he did not object. He lied and snuck around like a weasel.

47. Its like these conservatives take a class in manipulative deflection and gaslighting. Crazy

48. minime says:
    November 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm

His body.
    His choice.

My sickness.
    His virus.

49. Too little too late. I really, really thought Rodgers was better than this. What a disappointment.

50. I depend on Aaron Rodgers to show me what is moral and ethical and now I feel betrayed and confused. I hope he is punished for using words that are misleading. I will now depend on politicians to tell me the truth and not mislead me.

51. The reason he said “who may have felt mislead” is because 95% of the general public couldn’t care any less, because we’ve ALL been mislead with the information on this virus and shot.

#NeverApologize!

52. Does this one sound familiar, “I’ve been a GBP fan for 49 years and Aaron Rodgers comments on the vaccine have made me…… become more of a fan of his” Go Pack Go! ARod12! BOOM!!!!

53. Nope. People assumed. I would think a lawyer would be more aware of wordsmithing. Pretty different words vaccinated versus immunized. And boy the self righteous come out cuz they were”lied to” lol. Watch some CNN if you want feel misled.

54. “Methinks you are engaging in the very same conduct that you profess to oppose.” Did anybody ask you?

55. Full responsibility for those who *felt* misled is a contradiction. “Felt mislead” has a connotation of personal interpretation which means, the person who made the interpretation is the responsible party.

You could be a Clinton there, Aaron.

56. If Rodgers was as smart as he thinks he is, he would have admitted in August that he was not vaccinated because he is allergic to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and he was checking on the side effects of J&J. In the meantime, he could have said that he has been consulting with physicians on alternative treatments and immunity boosters. That doesn’t seem to be the whole truth with Rodgers (If he is truly not an anti-vaxxer then why does he have to say he’s not?) but it is close enough to the truth as we know it now where people couldn’t be correct in calling him a liar. There might have been some fall out from woke mob at the time but not nearly the distraction to the team and “woke mob-candy” it is now. He needs a better PR consultant who can foresee such fallout and better protect him from himself.

57. Another non-apology from Rodgers. He “apologized” if people FELT misled. He refuses to admit that he purposely LIED about being vaccinated.

58. Why should he apologize? Saying he is immunized wouldn’t be a lie. I’m sure he’s had his mumps, measles, and polio vaccines. We’re told the vaccine prevents hospitalizations and deaths. Is he hospitalized or dead? You should take everything what people say at face value. Pro athletes have a personal agenda just like all the politicians in this country. There have been no fines or suspensions levied against him. No one has died at his hands. Just let it go people. This was and still is a witch hunt. There hasn’t been one well wish for Rodgers health that I’ve read on here. Yet an NFL player that killed an innocent woman a week ago is out of the news cycle. No one wanted to call him an idiot criminal, they just said it’s a tragic situation. Priorities people, priorities.

59. When will his teammates do something about his lie? Never. They’d rather win a super bowl with a loser of a human being and a great QB, than stand up and show that being a winner of a human being is more important.

60. Well, you should, Aaron. You can’t expect people to know the difference between immunized and vaccinated. Now they are so embarrassed by their lack of understanding of the English language that they are saying you lied.

61. Too bad Green Bay’s replacement isn’t half as good as King Aaron and his lying ego….

62. I don’t care if Rodgers is vaccinated. I already don’t care that he lied.

What I find disturbing was how effortless and convincing his lie was.

Rodgers might be Dexter.

63. Thank you for being sorry if people felt misled by your deception and subterfuge, Aaron. I mean, it’s unfortunate that you misleading people led to them feeling misled. These feelings that people have are very unfortunate – I’m glad you agree on that.

The real issue is, of course, the feelings that people have and it’s just a mystery as to why they feel that way.