Joe Flacco: I’m not vaccinated, I won’t say why to avoid creating a distraction

Buffalo Bills v New York Jets
Getty Images

Jets quarterback Joe Flacco is the latest NFL player to acknowledge publicly that he’s unvaccinated, saying at his first press conference after being named the starter for Sunday’s game that he did not get the COVID-19 vaccine and will not say why.

“I’m not vaccinated,” Flacco said when asked directly.

Asked to discuss his reasons, Flacco said he didn’t want to create a distraction to the team.

“I definitely have my reasons,” Flacco said. “Honestly, I probably like to talk about this topic more than anybody. It’s one of those things that you debate with all the time. But overall I’ve felt like it’s more of a distraction than anything. So I feel like to kind of talk about it too much and give you all my beliefs, is more of a distraction than anything. I think the most important thing is going to play the football game.”

Unlike Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who has been violating NFL rules all season by talking to the media without a mask on, Flacco wore a mask while talking to reporters. Asked about Rodgers, Flacco said he hadn’t been following the Rodgers situation closely, but that for himself, he is following all of the NFL rules for unvaccinated players.

“I mean, we all know what the rules are. So when those things happen, we’ve all been told what the protocols are, and we’ve all been following the protocols,” Flacco said. “If you want to go out there and play the game you love, you have to do what you have to do.”

Flacco, like everyone, should get vaccinated because the vaccines are safe and effective and vital to ending the pandemic. But it’s at least to Flacco’s credit that, unlike Rodgers, he was honest when asked directly if he is vaccinated, and is following the NFL’s rules for unvaccinated players.

80 responses to “Joe Flacco: I’m not vaccinated, I won’t say why to avoid creating a distraction

1. I had a little respect for the guy, based on the Ravens Super Bowl run…now I have none. Get vaccinated folks, so we can overcome this deadly virus.

2. cant say I agree with his stance, but at least he owned it; Before we put him on a mountain though, he probably saw what happened to #12 and was smart enough to handle it a little different.

3. Joe “the enigma wrapped inside a mystery” Flacco. Earth to Joe, you’re not good enough to care about.

4. I mean, at least he’s following protocols. I’ll at least give him that, vs playing the semantics game and not following them.

5. I am pro vaccine and wish everyone could get past the manipulation and misinformation that has been planted in their minds. Especially when we have bigger problems than a simple shot. Either way I respect people that don’t lie and take ownership of their beliefs. So I respect Flacco and his decision. Aaron Rodgers on the other hand has lost all of my respect.

6. Everybody be who want to play should get vaxxed. No exceptions. He’s risking the health and livelihoods of his teammates.

7. I didn’t even realize Flacco was still playing in the NFL. Oh wait, it’s the Jets. They’d pull Joe Namath back in if his knees weren’t so bad.

8. Face it folks, covid is here to stay because of attitudes like this. Fine, if you don’t get the vaccine, but don’t go to the hospital when you get sick. One minute you trust western medicine and the next minute you don’t.

9. Seems like the position groups that require the most intelligence are populated with people who actually think for themselves.

10. Joe has always practiced social distancing with his teammates after the play is over sitting on the sidelines and staring into nothingness. Not new to him now

11. I wonder if he thinks the effectiveness of the Smallpox , Polio vaccines is all fake news.

======================================================

That along with 766k deaths. Idiot(s).

12. commentor says:
    November 18, 2021 at 5:32 am
    Now that the vaccine talk is out of the way, Flacco can move on to throwing 3 INTs Sunday

——————-

Hes going after Wilson’s record.

13. I got my booster yesterday. It was a very easy process, and I have yet to grow a third arm, or have any metal stick to me, and my blood is freely flowing. I did not feel like that my freedom was infringed upon in any manner.

Had to show my vaccine card to enter a concert venue Saturday night. The process was so simple that it took less than five seconds. Again, no one restrained me or tried to limit my freedom in any way.

Turns out that doing a small part to stop a pandemic isn’t difficult, and doesn’t restrict your freedom as an American.

14. Good on Flacco for staying strong on his beliefs. Stay strong, brother. Don’t give in. I stand with you. ✊🏻

15. nite2al says:
    November 18, 2021 at 6:28 am
    __________

It’s like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar asked of Aaron Rodgers. If Rodgers needs open heart surgery will he hand the scalpel over to romance novel writers because they know about affairs of the heart?

16. Once again proves you don’t have to be intelligent to play in the NFL . Flacco doesn’t want to be a distraction to the team by explaining his reasons for being anti-vax but has no problem having an enhanced ability to get and then pass Covid to his teammates and coaches . Apparently he failed Logic 101 at Delaware .

17. Everyone is who they are due to the accumulation of choices taht they made over their lifetime. Live with the results & don’t blame anyone else for your own choice. How many times have we all heard the usual “it’s the system…”, “the environemnet”, & rarely, “made a bunch of bad choices”
    I respect the man for standing up & owning up. Just hope Darwin doesn’t catch up with those who chose otherwise.

18. Ryan Baker says:

19. He won’t say why because he doesn’t want to confirm what wacko conspiracy theory he is buying into. So let’s have some fun and guess: Does Joe believe that the vaccine will magnetize him? Does he believe that it will implant a tracking device in him? That it will alter his RNA? That it will cause his blood to clot solid?

Just remember that when you see someone who refuses to get vaccinated that person actually believes one of the goofy things above.

20. Shouldn’t there be a “Mendoza Line” of sorts where a person should be a certain level of good-at-football to be worth having on the team without being vaccinated?

This guy certainly doesn’t meet that threshold.

21. It’s a weird stance to take IMO but I’ll give him credit for owning it, however dumb I think it is. This isn’t political, it’s not a voting scandal, it’s science.

Smallpox, rabies, typhoid, tetanus, tuberculosis, diphtheria, whooping cough, yellow fever, influenza, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, etc….we don’t hear about most of these deadly diseases anymore for a reason. Science and Vaccines work folks.

The same people who won’t get a shot will gladly have a doctor hook them up to morphine, fentanyl, meperidine, etc….while hospitalized without even questioning a thing. Do you ask a hospital doctor what drugs and dosage is being used while be treated? My guess is no.

This whole vaccination stand thing is lost on me, very strange take by too many people.

22. Ryan Baker says:
    November 18, 2021 at 6:39 am
    ____________

This is what I do not understand. Why are the anti-vaxxers trying to take us back to a time when smallpox and polio were horrible, rampaging diseases? Why do they want to have measles spreading across the globe?

23. If you want to be available to help win games you get the shot otherwise it looks like being in the NFL is not important

24. I have yet to hear any logical reason from the anti vaxx crowd that makes any real sense.
    If you dig deep enough, it almost always comes down to who they supported at the polls SADLY.
    Its pathetic that our country has citizens who would rather put their trust in a news outlet talking head or a politician over a health medical science professional. I’m not talking about Fauuci either. What happens when another new virus comes out that kills us more quickly then COVID? Will these anti vaxxers just sit around waiting to die? No, they’ll be the ones knocking everyone over to get to the front of the line.

25. Dear, Joe
    As a former Raven I’ve always resepcted you. Sure you were inconsistent at times but what many of the trolls never understood (and many other no it alls and armchair GM’s who didn’t watch every Ravens game during your first seven years here) was that you were lights out in the playoffs. And if not for the defense giving up two 14 point leads during the 2013 playoff game against New England, and Lee Evans not holding on to an easy would have been game winning touchdown pass in the 2011 playoffs, and even Ozzie Newsome not getting you better receivers during the 2008 – 2011 seasons you may have been a 2,3 or 4 time Super Bowl champion. And ya’ll can take that to the bank!!!!

But since at least 2015, you’ve been DONE from a football perspective. You’re certainly not good enough to lead mediocre to HORRIBLE teams like the Broncos and Jets to a winning record (and that’s ok because nobody else could either especially in the Jets case.

One of the things I respected most about you was your unflappable demeanor and quite cool. And while you certainly have a right to speak up (regardless of my or anyone elses opinion of the subject matter, now would be a good time to just shut up and play football.

P.S. How much money do you really need? You have like 6 or 7 kids now right?
    It may be in your best interest to simply retire with your multi millions (and while you can still remember all those kids names) instead of being a tackling dummy on a sorry team for just a few million you don’t need.

Just my opinion though…

Sincerely,
    DJ

26. I don’t understand the anti-vaxxers – I believe they’re being manipulated by a pervasive propaganda machine that tries very hard to divide this country. We are very fortunate that vaccines are part of our modern society and save us from some awful diseases. Whatever – common sense no longer applies to many things.

From a football perspective – WHY would the Jets sign an unvaccinated backup QB? He can be made unavailable at a moment’s notice through the COVID protocols. This is just common sense from an organizational perspective. Having unvaccinated players on your team in the backup roles is just setting yourself up for failure.

27. You mean the vaccines that were studied and tested for several years and not just a few months?
    ———————————————————————————————————
    The vaccines are using technology that has been studied and worked on for over 10 years! It’s attitudes like this that are causing the pandemic to continue!
    If you choose not to believe science or the medical community and remain unvaccinated, then don’t rush to those same medical community when you get sick!

28. tonyxl says:
    November 18, 2021 at 7:59 am
    Ryan Baker says:

_______________

Vaccines for coronaviruses have been studied and tested for over twenty years.

29. Seems like todays QB’s are mostly pampered immature self centered diva’s and in Rodgers
    case a flat out LIAR…..Vikings fans you can get under his thin skin by chanting Liar
    let him have it .

30. I don’t think Flacco is smart, but I DO respect his honesty. I can handle ignorant and truthful. Ignorant and a liar though? Much more dangerous.

31. Why is it that everyone has to announce if they’re vaxxed or unvaxxed? Why can’t us humans just do the right thing one way or another?

32. Jets should just cut his ass for this. Why bother bringing that into the locker room? Its not like he’s going to be a savior and take them to the playoffs.

33. These guys put every supplement in their body known and unknown to man to get a little edge on Sundays but they can’t take a vaccine shot to protect them, their family and others.

Do the math people. How many unvaccinated people have died from Covid? Now let’s subtract how many people died from taking the shot.

34. The reasons behind why you’re not vaccinated isn’t the “distraction”, the fact that you’re not vaccinated is the actual distraction.

35. nite2al says:
    November 18, 2021 at 6:28 am

======

What he said ^^ …. when you get sick it seems you believe in all the science

36. justmyopinion says:
    November 18, 2021 at 10:30 am

——————————————————————————-

He didn’t announced it, he was asked. He answered honestly. Would you rather he handled the question like Aaron Rodgers?

37. Gotta shake my head at all of the people downvoting pro-vaccination comments on here. The clock is ticking for all of you idiots.

38. touchback6 says:
    November 18, 2021 at 8:31 am

This guy certainly doesn’t meet that threshold.
    ———————————————
    He does on the Jets. Otherwise, I totally agree.

39. We know the reason. Because you’re a selfish idiot who believes in his own “research.” lol

40. Saleh seems like a good dude, but man, he shouldn’t even be allowed to think about football.
    Has anything he’s done this year been positive?
    Start Flacco!? Why??
    The Jets have been a joke for eternity and now they are actually trending downward!
    It’s awesome! Go Pats!

41. Honesty beats what Rodgers did, but Joe remains part of the problem because, you know, he “researched it on the internet”. I’m fed up with the pseudo-intellectual non-vaccinated.

42. pioniere……you can’t fix stupid just wait when the death rate spikes way up this winter
    the news is full of anti-vaccers on there death beds begging for the vaccine shot how sad is that.

43. Gotta love the logic of the anti-vaxxer crowd. They refuse to take a vaccine based on over a decade of coronavirus research that has been proven effective, claiming it hasn’t been tested for long enough. But they will fight tooth and nail for their right to ingest a medicine designed for horses that’s never been researched as a cure for anything in humans.

44. Rodgers brand has been severely damaged you think state farm loves having that fool as a spokesman they will quietly release him this offseason .
    Guys like Flacco could have been a color guy on games but no one will touch him now that he
    tainted his image as average as it is .

45. I actually respect him for being a man and clearly stating he is unvaccinated. He is not trying to deceive and to hide things like that clown from Green Bay. I support getting vaccinated, but everyone should have their own choice. And with that choice they should endure countless testing.

46. In reality he shouldn’t have to say it either way. But the mob demands it. Not sure how this is a talking point anymore. Both vaxxed and unvaxxed have missed games this year. Clearly the vaccine doesn’t prevent you from catching it. The NFL has proven that.

47. Even if 100% of the world is vaccinated covid is not going away. Now we need a booster every6 months for a virus with a 99%+ survival rate. And there’s no discussion of natural immunity which is shown to be just as good or better than the vaccine. People need to stop acting like every non vaccinated person will bring about the end of the world.

48. daytontriangles says:
    November 18, 2021 at 12:17 pm

———————–
    It was literally made for humans, Einstein. How many times have you cried about misinformation? Stop spreading it moron.

49. Actually, I am unvaccinated because I am trying to do my part to bring about the end of the world.

50. Should we strip him of his Super Bowl ring, ban him from the NFL, and charge him with attempted murder? …like everyone wanted to do to Rodgers (yes, people were saying all that stuff)

51. Flacco just demonstrated the old adage that ” It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”

Flacco opened his mouth….and removed all doubt.

52. It is time for the NFL to make public all of the players and coaches who opted out of COVID vaccinations. The NFL’s coziness with sports betting makes this imperative. For example , if someone has insight that Josh Allen and Cole Beasley are about the enter the COVID protocol before being announced, they would have a huge advantage placing bets on their game. There would be huge swings in the over/under for the game once the announcement is made.

53. Flacco doesn’t want to create a distraction because he knows of the adverse side-effects. I personally know of 3 people between the ages of 32 and 55 that died a short time after their vaxx. Hearing safe and effective a million times doesn’t make it so.