Tom Brady doesn’t commit to playing in 2022, says he’ll take it day by day

NFC Divisional Playoffs - Los Angeles Rams v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Getty Images

Things definitely have changed for Tom Brady.

After consistently insisting that he’ll play in 2022, it all has changed. Following Sunday’s loss to the Rams, Brady did not repeat what he said throughout the 2021 season — that he’ll definitely play next year.

“I haven’t put a lot of thought into it,” Brady told reporters. “So we’ll take it day by day and see where we’re at.”

Asked when he’ll know more about his future, Brady declined to comment.

“I’m thinking about this game, and not thinking about anything past five minutes from now.”

Again, this is all a far cry from his prior position, repeatedly stated, that he’ll play through 2022 and then figure things out after that. Indeed, he has said for years that he plans to play until he’s 45. Now, one season from reaching that goal, he may indeed walk away.

105 responses to “Tom Brady doesn’t commit to playing in 2022, says he’ll take it day by day

1. From what they showed of him postgame, he looks like a guy that’s decided he’s done.

2. There is nothing left to prove. Most accomplished quarterback of his generation. Enjoy retirement.

3. @Goodellmustgo, if you consider Brady a cheater, do you or do you not, consider the Patriots/Belichick’s success over the last 20 years to be tainted?

4. Wouldn’t be funny if Brady retired and in 2027 Roethlisberger got in the HOF on the first ballot and Brady didn’t?

5. in 6 months they’ll be rolling in the wheelchair for him. Things go south from here.

6. Now now no need to be salty. I’m genuinely wishing everyone a very happy Brady Elimination Day to you and yours!

Hope your evening is great and be nice! 🙂

7. He has absolutely nothing left to prove. And the Bucs are not going to be able to purchase another roster for next season like they did this season and last season.
    Brown pulling his prank really hurt this team for this game also.
    Retire.. stick around any longer it will really show in your play.

8. I’ve always said Brady would announce his retirement only after he’d played his last game. He’ll probably schedule a news conference soon.

9. If he plays in 2022 and loses in the playoffs, he will tie Manning with the most playoff losses in NFL history. I doubt Brady wants that record.

10. Father Time is in the room with Tom now. He must know it really for the first time he still had a click more mobility 2 years ago. Now the slide and shuffle that got him a little bit clear in the pocket is gone and TB does NOT have the beef up front to keep him immaculate. He’s still got the arm, everyone saw that. But my point is the lower half he’s just not quick or even slippery and he’s gonna get one clear shot when he doesn’t see it coming and then it’s done by injury. And I think he wants to walk off the field. I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s earned my respect with his play. I think he should walk away when this is still the Brady we remember, not a version he doesn’t want us to ever see. IMO

11. So much Brady the. Most of you schmucks would be doing backflips if he was the qb and leader on your team. I watched him come to Tampa and change the entire organization. He will be done when he’s done. Sit back and watch.

12. I’ll make an announcement once the league assures me that I will positively win the Super Bowl next season. Don’t they know who I am?

13. I think it is safe to say that PM will hold the advantage in one and does in perputuity…

14. Giselle will have a vote and I think she wants him to retire – walk away while he can still walk.

15. Omg, Goodellmustgo, a so called Patriots “fan” saying Manning > Brady. That’s blasphemy.

Also tb6, how does BB win again? The Pats defense had its worst performance ever under him last week. And while Mac will have a good future, Brady is certainly the better qb right now, and can make throws Mac can’t.

16. He’s got nothing left to prove or accomplish. Whenever he retires he’s leaving the game as the goat and most of the qb records. Hope he’s back but if this is it what a career. Once in a lifetime.

17. He looked old today, and I don’t mean the way he played. He looked like he might be done. I saw it in his face. Hope he retires…he’s the GOAT and should go out relatively healthy and still not showing much decline in his play.

18. Good to see everyone piling on. He obviously had no time to throw. Whirfs going out was the key. Without that the discussions on here about Brady being done aren’t happening

19. If the Rams didnt try hard to give this win away…Brady would have been on the bench in the 4th quarter. The only this i sawthat was specialis that Rams defence.WOW

20. @Goodellmustgo, this season’s likely MVP, Aaron Rodgers, put up 10 points at home last night. Neither qb played great, along with the rest of their teammates.

21. jaytee says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:49 pm
    ——
    I don’t disagree.

22. If the Rams didnt try hard to give this win away…Brady would have been on the bench in the 4th quarter. The only this I saw special was that Rams defence. WOW!

23. skcusoirolf says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:24 pm

======================================

And the Rams didn’t purchase their roster??? Frankly, with all the future draft picks the Rams have used up, even if they win the SB, they’ll be one and done. They mortgaged their future for the present. Not saying they were wrong to do it, but the bill’s gonna come due soon.

24. Maybe 45 was a phony number. It’s possible he doesn’t want the Derek Jeter, David Ortiz retirement tour because it would be a distraction to him and his teammates.

25. GoodellMustGo…regarding your thoroughly misguided idea that Manning>Brady…and I am paraphrasing Mark Twain…”It is better to be thought a fool than to post on PFT and remove all doubt”.

26. It’s the ultimate sign of respect when a bunch of anonymous whiners on the internet all want you to retire.

27. The Pats defense had its worst performance ever under him last week.

——
    And yet they held Brady to a 70 rating in week 4, one of the lowest passer ratings by any QB in Foxboro this year. If they’re that terrible what does that say about Tommy. Can’t be much of a compliment 🙂

Also yeah Manning > Brady. that’s not just me that says that… your man Brady also said it. Some Pats fan huh lol. Manning revolutionized the sport. No Manning and there’s no Brady (by his own admission), no Mahomes, no Rodgers really none of the greats.

I hated seeing Manning line up against my team under center. That feeling something bad was going to happen to your team. Don’t feel that way about any other QB. Maybe Mahomes but he’s got a ways to go.

28. I think that was his swan song….they ALMOST pulled it out and if they did it , would have been talking about that come back for the ages.

29. @Goodellmustgo clearly NOT a Patriots fan. No Patriots fan would ever say Manning is better than Brady.

30. He’s visibly aged the past 4-5 months. He looked 35 until October or so. Now he all of a sudden looks his age. He looked tired at the end of the first half too. Not like temporary I just need a few hours of sleep tired but in his bones tired. I think he’s done with Arians too.

31. GoodellMustGo…as a fan would you rather have had TB12 as your qb for 20 years, or PM for 14 or 15. I know it’s tough, but be honest…just this once.

32. Angel Valle says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:48 pm
    Another one year dynasty bites the dust.
    —————————————————————————————————————
    Beats the hell out of a no year dynasty.

33. GoodellMustGo says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:54 pm
    The Pats defense had its worst performance ever under him last week.

——

________________________

Also please answer my questions about whether or not you think Belichick’s success is also tainted.

34. GoodellMustGo…your silence speaks volumes. Seems you realize Mark Twain was right. At least we agree on the commish!!!

35. I don’t believe that the GOAT will be satisfied with going out on this note. If he finds the right situation,he’ll probably give it one more shot. He wants to go out on top if he can. That’s just who he is. He’s addicted to football and winning. So,don’t celebrate just yet,Brady haters.

36. jaytee says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:16 pm

———-

He won’t answer that one. It speaks volumes.

37. zonedout100 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:58 pm

6 1 Rate This

—————

He is clearly a fake Pats fan because he says Brady cheated when we know nothing happened based on Goodell caught lying and the science.

I mean, my issues with Brady are the embarrassing fanboys who think he plays an A+ game every time he ever stepped on the field trying to control the narrative to protect his status or something.

The guy could throw 4 Ints and fumble twice and the Brady Fanboys would blame everyone else for a loss.

Mortifying.

38. I have hated Tom Brady for years because he beat the St. Louis Rams in the game that the Patriots taped the practice. Twenty one years later I have come to respect him. If his career is over I am pretty sure that I will never see another player like him. He probably wishes that he had retired last year as a Super Bowl Champion. If this is it thank you for a magical career. I still hate you for beating the St. Louis Rams but I respect you as a player.

39. ouchback6 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:24 pm
    lol!!!!

BB does it again.

NHJets being fitted for his straitjacket.

————

What did he do? He hasn’t won a playoff game since Brady left. Made it once and got obliterated. Didn’t Brady win the super bowl? So please remind us what he did. Lol. I’d make you a bet that Mac Jones won’t even be the best qb of his class in a couple years but we know about your bets. Lol.

40. Whatever Brady decides to do or not do is anyone’s guess.

But one thing is indubitably certain: comments sections all over in the interwebs over the last couple days have been looking, feeling and smelling so fresh and so clean with the sudden absence and silence of a toxic and cheese-filled fanbase. Love it.

41. nflfan69 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 8:16 pm

0 1 Rate This

——————

O MY GOD

Umm, they never taped a practice. It was a lie. This has been proven/refuted 1000 times over.

So you hated Brady for 20 years over a lie? That is embarrassing.

42. P6 get off this board and go watch 2 teams that your pats will never beat for the next 10 years.

43. Perhaps Giselle will make sure to put some ice on poor Tommy’s lips, and tell him the NFL is too unsafe for him.

44. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm
    ouchback6 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:24 pm
    lol!!!!

BB does it again.

NHJets being fitted for his straitjacket.

————

0 0 Rate This

——————-

If he had signed Brady, who is the Pats future qb?

Colbert and Tomlin are finished because they are gutless
    and afraid to rebuild.

45. One regular season game doesn’t mean much. And you are engaging in revisionist history. I seem to recall the Manning have multiple multi interception games against the Patriots, including the playoffs. Belichick respected Manning, but never feared him. If Brady played the Patriots the next 5 years he’d have good and bad games, just like Brady. And I didn’t say the Patriots defense was garbage, but they did play terribly last week.
    —————
    Maybe not you but others certainly have. My point was all that trash talk about the playoff failure kinda backfires when you realize how lousy Brady really was that night in probably the biggest non playoff game of his life.

Manning is the greatest. He changed and innovated the sport and rewrote the book on how to play the position. What did Brady ever do for the sport? TB12? Cmon. It is funny hearing the same excuses being made for Brady were laughed at when Colts fans used them for Manning. Funny how that works.

And yeah I believe Brady cheated and covered it up. The text messages tell us a lot. The fact Brady destroyed his cell phone tell us more. The Wells report says it all. I read it. It is not flattering to Tommy. I was in denial too for years until I realized that there are no good answers to the question of why the NFL would do this to the face of the league if he was totally innocent?

Asterisk? Yep. As long as there’s a question of whether the extent of the cheating benefited the Patriots and helped them win titles then as far as I’m concerned there is an asterisk. Not the team’s fault. It sucks but it is what it is. Brady felt the need to cheat for whatever reason and now everyone else is guilty by association. We do know the team helped him cover it up. “Weight loss”? Gimme a break. You don’t really believe that garbage do you?

46. nflfan69…Patriots DID NOT tape the walk through. John Tomase, the author of the story, AND the Boston Herald publicly apologized to the Patriots, admitting that the story was bs. I guess Marshall Faulk, Tori Holt, etc never read the apology. You are completely justified in your grudging admiration of Brady…

47. My my. The Cheatin’ Tommy fan club is so salty tonight!

I like my Cheatin’ Tommy fan club tears with a twist of lime in a nice frosted glass! Yummy! 😋

48. Well, at least you answered my questions Goodellmustgo. Still delusional imo, but hey, to each their own I guess.

49. grant35 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 8:23 pm
    ——-
    😂😂😂

50. GoodellMustGo…I hope you find your way out of the weeds someday. In the meantime, ya might want to have someone explain the laws of physics to you regarding loss of air pressure with dropping temps. Good luck to ya, podnah.

51. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 8:21 pm

1 3 Rate This

————-

Laughable. Each team set to enter cap hell with 40 mil per qbs. And, NE beat paper tiger Buffalo 6 weeks ago.

Do you ever say anything truthful?

52. jaytee says:
    January 23, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Not delusional. Real. It sucks but it is what it is as I’ve said before.

53. All you Brady haters are ignoring the fact that Brady came back to tie that game from a Falcon-Super Bowl like deficit. It was his defense who once again let him down.

Dude STILL has it, he’s far from finished.

54. I think he may play 1 more year. However best QB of this generation no doubt. Most td passes, 7 rings, first ever unanimous MVP, over 30 playoff wins, best win percentage, top 5 int/td ratios and so much more. Even if this was his last ride he’s going out in style unlike sad Aaron Rodgers.

55. If any of you believe a guy walked into a bathroom and in 90 seconds emptied out a duffle bag of balls, stuck a needle in them and took out air to Brady’s liking and put all the balls back in the duffle bag then I have some magic beans to sell you.

His phone being destroyed doesn’t matter cause everything on the phone was retrieved from the phone company. The most incriminating thing on it was Brady wanting a white pool cover and him saying manning is almost finished while he had years left to play.

Why was he suspended? Cause he could be. NFL wants power over its players and what better way to show it. NFL admitted in court they had no proof but they could still suspend him cause that’s what the cba dictates.

56. Most accomplished decorated QB of all time !! No question. Nothing else to prove for TB12.

I am surprised by so many haters here !! Your QB whoever you root for will come no where near TBs record and accomplishment..

Also, Father Time has not yet caught up with TB12… He can continue to play at high level for few more years and he know that and those who watched him play this year know that… It is him who will need to decide if at this point, his family, recently lunched business is a priority or football !! He has said many times that he will quit and be no longer be a burden to his team if he no longer can provide any value!!!

It is up to him to decide he wants to walk away while still at top of his game !! Not Father Time !!

57. Stop whining and get over it Brady Zis the greatest period! That being said it’s time to bring back Famous Jameis!

58. Think it depends on who leaves and arrives in free agency as remember Godwin in gone for most of the year and how easy will it be to replace AB ??? .. but can the team wait that long for a decision at QB .. but just goes to show how hard it is to repeat due to some CB outta position n screwing up …. :S

59. He’ll be back. Brady’s entering the time in his career where after the end of each season, he’ll say he needs to think about it. He’ll get the itch to come back come springtime.

60. Take it day by day = if Niners win SB, he’ll hang it up. If Niners do not win the SB, he’ll demand to be traded there…

Oh and same thing for Rodgers.

61. Look at all these Cheatin’ Tom fans defending cheating. 😂 Too funny.

Time for Cheatin Tom to take the hint understand he cannot save his well earned reputation as a cheater and just go away and stay gone.

62. He did what your team wouldn’t do, bozo. Who is your qb? How’s the cap position! JuJu signed? What about Fitzpatrick?

If he had signed Brady, who is the Pats future qb?

Colbert and Tomlin are finished because they are gutless
    and afraid to rebuild.

————

They are rebuilding now. Every team has to find a quarterback. If my team has to find one every 15 years that’s a good thing. 45 million in cap space. Lots of room. Juju doesn’t need to sign. No one is better at finding receivers than Pittsburgh. Absolutely no one. Nice try. Fitzpatrick will get signed. No cap trouble there. Hope this answers your questions. Have a great night.

63. I think he will walk away. The Bucs defense did not look like they did last year, even though they brought almost everyone back.

64. When Brady went to Tampa the question marks were the DBs and OL. They are still the question marks. Brady will look and see what the pitiful brain-trust in Tampa does to improve and hope they don’t draft a LB and QB in the face of those needs. like they did last year.

65. Did Tom commit to playing at age 45 or because of the constant – when are you retiring questions – when he turned 40, didn’t he just basically say back then in an off handed way that he loved the game, that he felt great and that he hoped to still be playing at age 45.

I don’t understand the constant nagging over this. No professional athlete knows how they’ll feel playing at the pro level in their 40s.

66. maybe he’ll wait until he sees what the team is going to be like next season. if he still thinks there’s a chance of winning another superbowl then he’ll be back

67. I could envision a scenario where Tom lands in Tennessee and plays a couple of seasons there.

68. touchback6 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 8:16 pm
    zonedout100 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:58 pm

6 1 Rate This

—————

Mortifying.

——

And yet you give BB free passes over and over again despite a plethora of draft pick whiffs and defensive meltdowns

69. Brady will be back. It burns him up that he has a lower career passer rating against his old team than Tebow 😂😂😂 so he can’t let that stand.

70. kurtlaughlin says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:19 pm

———————

Like that would ever happen.

71. All you Brady haters are ignoring the fact that Brady came back to tie that game from a Falcon-Super Bowl like deficit. It was his defense who once again let him down.
    ============

Nah, just can’t ignore that in the first half, if not for Playoff Lenny, they wouldn’t have moved the ball at all.

And if the Rams would have executed anything, there would have been no comeback.

This should have been a 42-14 shellacking.

72. I thought it was unusual for him to chat up the opposing players after such a big loss. Usually he can’t get of the field fast enough after a playoff loss. Even more unusual is seeing him smiling after a loss. Very un-Brady like. He looked like he was at peace with it..

73. I think he will walk away. The Bucs defense did not look like they did last year, even though they brought almost everyone back.
    ==========

They actually improved over last year. 22ppg to 20ppg. 8th to 5th.

74. Brady will be back. It burns him up that he has a lower career passer rating against his old team than Tebow 😂😂😂 so he can’t let that stand.
    ——————

Yet still won. You do know that next season the Bucs to not play the AFCE, right? Congrats on your SB win yesterday. Been a long time coming for you.

75. I’d still love to bring you back home to the Bay Area, Tom.

It’s a shame that didn’t happen.

76. touchback6 says:
    January 23, 2022 at 7:24 pm
    lol!!!!

BB does it again.
    —————————————————————————————————————-
    Yes, BB did not make the playoffs again without Brady behind center.

77. How beautiful is it that the one punk that Brady stood up for – Antonio Brown – also was possibly the chief saboteur of their season?

78. He’s the greatest, for sure, but guess what?

I’m looking forward to a day when I turn my TV on, and the weekly tyranny of “Brady this, Brady that, I’m Tom Brady and I am absolutely the most driven person ever, and I’m also good looking, and I married a super model, the rest of you are just mortal” is finally over.

It’s been this way for most of my adult life.

Change is good, sometimes.

79. A betting man says he will play. I don’t believe any of the ‘indicators’ of leaving. Not for a second.

80. Brady’s legacy will be fully cemented when Belichick is fully exposed. The longer Belichick stays, the more he will be exposed.

81. dwqb11 says:
    January 24, 2022 at 10:25 am
    ——————

I don’t know what’s funnier. The fact Brady’s career passer rating against Belichick is lower than Tim Tebow’s passer rating against Belichick… or the fact you want to credit a QB with a 70 passer rating in a game with a “win”… or the fact that Brady in one of the biggest games of his life was completely outplayed by a rookie QB playing the 4th NFL game of his career with a passer rating 30 points higher than Brady got.

All of them are hilarious so let’s call it a tie! 🙂

82. All you Brady haters are ignoring the fact that Brady came back to tie that game from a Falcon-Super Bowl like deficit.

Gabbert could have come back too with all the chances the Rams were giving them.

I bet even Nathan Peterman could have done the same.

Let’s not pretend Brady was anything more than what he was yesterday. Lousy.