Gronk: If required to decide now, I’d retire

NFC Divisional Playoffs - Los Angeles Rams v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Getty Images

Buccaneers tight end Rob Gronkowski hasn’t ruled out playing in 2022, even if the guy who lured him out of retirement retires. However, Gronk now says that, if required to make a decision currently, his decision would be to walk away.

“If they’re like, ‘Rob, you’ve got to decide right now, right this second if you’re playing next year,’ I would say no right now,” Gronkowski told TMZ.com. “I would be like, ‘No, I’m not playing.’ . . . If I had an answer right now,” Gronk said, “it would be no.”

Gronk explained that he’s too banged up to commit to playing today, but that he may feel differently after he’s 100 percent again.

“I just want to heal completely, see where my thoughts are from there,” Gronkowski said. “Just let things settle down — got to just heal a little bit. Fix all the bumps and bruises.”

Gronkowski is scheduled to be a free agent in March. Thus, he can play wherever he wants, if he wants to continue.

33 responses to “Gronk: If required to decide now, I’d retire

  1. I love how some of these players try to spin it’s not about the money, when it most certainly is.

    If a team came forward and paid him 14 million for next year, he’s playing.

  2. Rams offer everything a C-list celebrity wannabe could ask for. QB, talent rich roster, and insufferable Hollywood just down the road. Lebron concurs.

  3. Comes off as a total chucklehead everywhere….sure, great player but get out of site, sick of the idiot shtick.

  4. Back to resume his a career as a celebrity or WWE wrestler. So far it’s been a laughable failure.

    Never had the charisma.

  5. The slower he gets the more people want to hit him because he’s not trucking defenders anymore.

  6. The continuation of self important self entitled NFL players. Not about the money give us all a break

  7. I honestly believe with Gronk that is not all about the money but the actual desire to want to play.
    Gronk has already retired once.What
    It appears to be all the distractions that Antonio Brown caused can wear heavy on veteran players and possibly dull the edges of desire to want to show up and get ready every day to play the next game. He’s been to the top and maybe putting up with all the unnecessary B.S. is just too exhausting to cope with anymore. Just my opinion…

  8. touchback6 says:
    January 26, 2022 at 11:27 am
    I love how some of these players try to spin it’s not about the money, when it most certainly is.

    If a team came forward and paid him 14 million for next year, he’s playing.

    ———–

    I really don’t think so with Gronk. He’s always been incredibly conservative with his money, so he has a ton, and he retired once already and seems to have no intention of ever playing with another QB. It’s all about whether keeps the band together or not in my opinion. If they keep a championship level roster together then both Brady and Gronk return. If they rebuild then 99% chance they retire and 1% chance they go to the Titans.

  9. Regarding to what it extent “it is all about the money” apparently Gronk has banked every penny he has ever earned as a pro in NFL salary & bonuses, and he has just lived off endorsement income, shoe deals, appeance fees, etc. There is no monetary need for him to keep playing. Is it nice to bank more millions, sure. But he’s not the dumb jock burning up millons, like some imagine him to be.

  10. godkingskovald says:
    January 26, 2022 at 11:35 am
    The slower he gets the more people want to hit him because he’s not trucking defenders anymore.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Averaged 14.6 yards a catch. Go ahead and compare your team’s number 1 receiver to this TE.

  11. The guy is in a great place personally, professionally and financially. He also has nothing to prove and his accomplishments on the field speak for themselves. He’s a sure HOF. He doesn’t need football. So why shouldn’t he take his time? Why shouldn’t he deserve to take his time? What’s the big deal? I would suspect his decision will come long before the draft so as to not box the Bucs in with their plans going forward. He just lost a playoff game not a week ago yet and he should make his decision now? I don’t see the needed rush to that at the moment. Maybe it’s me.

  12. Basically, these older guys (Peyton, Tom, Gronk,etc) need time NOT be officially in the league so they can take their performance enhancing/recovery drugs (steroids, hgh) and not get tested during the offseason. I would do the same at their age.

  13. If Tom plays Gronk stays. If Brady retires, Gronk will have several offers to choose from as he proved he’s still got plenty left.

  14. ‘I love how some of these players try to spin it’s not about the money, when it most certainly is.’

    Not in Gronk’s case. He has lived off his endorsements and not spent any of his NFL conract dollars.

  15. Not in Gronk’s case. He has lived off his endorsements and not spent any of his NFL conract dollars.
    —————–
    that’s what he claims. Not sure how true it is.

  16. He is not healed from this season’s injury. He play through it as warrior but at his age recovery time takes longer

  17. Gronk came back for Brady and more rings without having to deal with Belichick. He got another ring. He played with Brady. No Belichick. He has made enough money. He is hurt a lot. No real reason to keep it going now.

  18. Patriots salary cap crunch: Examining how Bill Belichick can free up space in the coming months

    1. Matthew Judon, $16.5 million
    T2. Nelson Agholor, $15 million
    T2. Hunter Henry, $15 million
    4. Jonnu Smith, $13.75 million

    Let us see how Belichick will build a SB contender from here. Remember, he doesn’t have to pay big for a QB now.

  19. This is the same guy that said he was happy to be suspended for a hit that almost ended Tre White’s career because that gave him the weekend off.

    Not the sharpest tool in the shed and that’s not endearing or a compliment.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.