Tom Brady: I’m not looking to come out of retirement, but never say never

Rams vs Bucs in Tampa Bay, FL.
Getty Images

Could Tom Brady come out of retirement? When he was asked that question on his podcast, he gave something other than an emphatic “no.”

Asked by Jim Gray on his SiriusXM podcast about the possibility of coming out of retirement, Brady said he doesn’t anticipate it happening, but he can’t guarantee he won’t change his mind.

“You know, I’m just gonna take things as they come,” Brady said. “I think that’s the best way to put it and I don’t think anything, you know, you never say never. At the same time I know that I’m very, I feel very good about my decision. I don’t know how I’ll feel six months from now, [inaudible] change, it most likely won’t. But I try to make the best possible decision I can in the moment, which I did this last week. And, again, I think it’s not looking to reverse course, I’m definitely not looking to do that. But in the same time I think you have to be realistic that you never know what challenges there are gonna be in life. Again, I loved playing. I’m looking forward to doing things other than playing.”

Brady saying he doesn’t know how he’ll feel in six months, when NFL teams are in training camp, is reminiscent of what Brett Favre said in an April 2008 interview with David Letterman, shortly after Favre announced his retirement. Favre left the door open just a crack to returning at that point, but at the start of training camp he did in fact return, and the Packers — having decided that Aaron Rodgers was their quarterback of the future — traded him to the Jets. Favre ended up playing a total of three more seasons, one with the Jets and two with the Vikings.

That doesn’t mean Brady is coming back. But he’s not slamming the door shut on the possibility.

98 responses to “Tom Brady: I’m not looking to come out of retirement, but never say never

1. IF the 49ers make a offer of 30 million PLUS ,for ONE year ,Tom will come back. Otherwise he’s staying retired.

2. I don’t think he’ll come back in six months, but I can imagine it happening if some team is doing really well next season and then loses its QB to injury. It would require a deal with the Bucs, or for him to have gotten them to cut him beforehand, but I can see the possibility.

3. Already? Lol. The retirement headlines are over and some one is feeling a bit ignored. Come on Tom. I admired the way you announced your retirement at seasons end. Class act compared to those narcissistic dudes who announce their retirement at the beginning of a season and then go on a grand tour expecting to be fawned over at every venue. Let it go. Your place in history is secured.

4. Favre was a LOT younger than Brady. Coming out of retirement in your mid to late 40s is another story.

5. If he comes back and loses in the playoffs, he will tie the record for the most playoff losses.

6. Brady said on his own podcast he hated the 17 game and the stupidity of removing the bye week.
    He had legitimately the best team he could hope for this year. Too many games too many injuries not enough rest.

Only way he comes back is if TB is undefeated by week 15 and both he and Gronk come back to save the day

7. Keeping his name in the running if the 49ers come calling. I doubt he comes out or retirement to play for any other team.

8. Yep. Typical Brady. He told you himself 90% of what he tells interviewers isn’t the truth, and when he said he was “retiring,” that was part of the 90%. Even his own father has said for years that it won’t be pretty when Tom finally leaves — he’s just too competitive. The Bucs kept everyone from last season and couldn’t make it back, and Brady knows they are going to lose a number of their best players to free-agency. His “retirement” paperwork still has yet to be filed with the league office, and if you read his “retirement” statement, he never actually uses the word “retirement” anywhere. I believe Trey Lance still isn’t up to par in San Francisco, and Shanny doesn’t trust Jimmy G. 9ers trade Jimmy and a pick or two to the Bucs, Tampa sends Brady, and Tom gets to end his career with the team he rooted for as a child and has a seriously realistic shot at winning another Super Bowl. Stranger things have happened.

9. What better care besides the BUCS is he thinking of playing for? It’s got to be the 49ers. He idolized Big Joe crap who wouldn’t beat QB since Brady.

10. The real GOAT is a surfer named Kelly Slater. Won the Pipeline Masters at age 49 yesterday. All by himself.

Football is a TEAM Sport. Without good teams, an individual is nothing.

11. Mark this date ….BRADY COMES BACK in 2023. He is NOT DONE YET! He will take a year off, continue to practice and work out and will go to some stacked team that needs him in 2023 and will play 2 MORE years. Watch it will happen.

12. After all the fanfare made about his retirement, it would truthfully be a little embarrassing for him to unretire.

13. Jimmy G gets traded, Brady comes out of retirement and joins the 49ers, citing his boyhood dream of always following in Joe Montana’s footsteps. Book it Dano!!

14. I can’t see Brady turning down the right situation to go for another ring. He loves playing too much,and he’s still at the top of his game. He’s going to be miserable not playing. He knows that he can still play at a high level. That’s just my opinion…I may be wrong.

15. Brady must really hate his wife and kids. Is his life so empty that there’s nothing else going on in his life besides football?

16. So Tom, you’re sayin’ there’s a chance? Prediction: Tom will come in riding his white horse to save the 49ers season next year. He always wanted to be a 49er.

17. Some of these guys are more afraid of being out of the spotlight than literally anything else.

18. TB12: “What I say vs. what I think are two totally different things. I would say 90 percent of what I say is probably not what I’m thinking…”

19. If there’s a contending team next season that loses their starter towards the end of the season I could absolutely see Brady step in for one last run.

20. he is the single player in the nfl currently who if you put him on your team you instantly become a super bowl contender… even at his age…. unreal …. he IS that good

21. The will he/won mt he ego fluff for him could get annoying quickly. I just hope the media doesn’t fall for it and become participants.

22. Too bad Vikings… you could have had Harbaugh… who is Michigan buddies with Tom! Instead, enjoy another year of Checkdown Kirk! lol.

23. Haven’t we had enough of these guys announcing their ‘retirement’, and then changing their mind and coming back? If you announce your retirement to great fanfare, stay retired, or don’t ‘retire’ in the first place.

24. Two pieces of evidence: (1) In his “Man in the Arena” series, Brady said that the toughest part of retirement would be for him to be sitting on his couch watching some bumbler play QB and thinking “I could do a lot better than that.” In other words, he would lament leaving the game when he still had plenty in the tank; (2) In the “Brady 6” documentary, Brady’s father talks about how his son dreamed about playing for the 49ers, to follow his boyhood hero Joe Montana and that the Brady family felt personally betrayed that the Niners did not draft Brady when they had numerous chances to do so.

Based on this evidence, the only scenario for Brady’s return that makes sense is this: The 49ers have a top tier roster, but not an elite quarterback. Garoppolo will be traded pre-draft. So, does San Francisco — keeping in mind that Super Bowl windows close quickly — turn this top-notch roster over to essentially a rookie, Trey Lance, or do they woo the greatest quarterback/player of all time to lead them? If they do woo, I think Brady returns, playing for his boyhood team just a few miles from his family’s home in San Mateo. I don’t he would consider going anywhere else.

25. Your place in history is secured.
    —-
    Yup. As the only QB in the history of the NFL to be suspended for cheating.

Nothing more, nothing less.

26. nathanp2013 says:
    February 7, 2022 at 9:35 pm
    Mac Jones is quaking in his 9th grade shoulder pads.

I’m glad the Patriots found a young QB who doesn’t need to cheat to be good. 🙂

27. jburns99 says:
    February 7, 2022 at 9:46 pm

—————–

He just answered a question honestly. Why is that annoying?

28. nydre4 says:
    February 7, 2022 at 9:16 pm
    I’ll keep saying it……we wants to play for the 49ers.

———
    The Buccaneers still own his rights

29. uwachampion says:
    February 7, 2022 at 10:34 pm
    His ego won’t let him move on.

————–

Or he was asked if he would come back and he gave an honest answer.

30. patsfan4lifedynasty says:
    February 7, 2022 at 9:54 pm

——
    Jets fans say the darndest things…

31. He told you himself 90% of what he tells interviewers isn’t the truth, and when he said he was “retiring,” that was part of the 90%.

_____

If 90% isnt the truth, how do you know that saying 90% isnt the truth IS the truth? That statement would have be in the 10% truthful range, and people just take that as truth? Or was it actually part of the 90% untruth? Hmmmmmm

32. If he does come back, and doesn’t miss a single game in the process, did he ever really retire?

33. If he does decide to give it another go, I don’t think that Giselle will be very pleased. She’s been wanting him to retire for years, and not even a week later, it’s “you never say never”. I don’t think that his heart was truly in that announcement. His arm may have been twisted to do it. He said it himself…football is his first love.

34. TB12’s massive ego simply cannot stand the idea that the sports world is quite prepared to move on without him. Tom Brady constantly needs to be fawned over and have his ego stroked.

35. So he might tie for the most playoff losses while having more than double the playoff wins. Any player in history would take that accomplishment. That’s how lame the takes are by the haters now.

36. Brady may be “retired” but he’s still on the Bucs active roster and not on the reserve/retired list for salary cap reasons. I can see him asking the Bucs for a trade to SF, so he can finish his career there. Otherwise, the Bucs still own his rights.

37. bradygirl12 says:
    February 7, 2022 at 11:59 pm

————–

I agree with you, but I think that will change for him over time. Not sure how easy it would be at 45 or 46 to get back to the same level once he spends a while without a 24×7 focus to get ready to play football.

38. bman says:
    February 8, 2022 at 2:47 am
    Well obviously.. he has to come back to the Patriots for a one day contract

________________________________

I don’t think that he will do that. Brady wanted the Patriots to sign him to a deal in 2019 to finish his career in Foxboro. Kraft left it up to Belichick, who said “no”. He didn’t believe in him anymore. Brady will never forget that or let it go. I don’t blame him, but the Pats fans are the ones paying for it.

39. He may play one more year, maybe two, probably with the 49ers. One thing he is NOT doing is taking a year off and coming back in 2023. If he does make that mistake, Father Time will be licking his chops.

40. I think that will change for him over time. Not sure how easy it would be at 45 or 46 to get back to the same level once he spends a while without a 24×7 focus to get ready to play football.

———————————-

Brady is the ONLY QB in NFL history who won almost solely by his football IQ, which doesn’t regress, at least not before 60.

41. Here we go again. The Brett Favre Syndrome will not go away quitely. Get over it Brady and move on already. Enough of the hoopla and who cares????

42. When your young you want to retire and have all the time in the world towards yourself…..but after you work for 40 plus years,have your family,travel a little, and enjoy your job ,you don’t want to retire. It’s strange how this happens.

43. Can’t say it any better than Vince Neil;

“Girl, don’t go away mad. Girl, just go away!”

44. William Lee says:
    February 8, 2022 at 12:12 pm

———————————-

——————

60? Lol. Don’t think so. Even Garry Kasparov, probably the greatest chess champion in history, was beat at 37 and retired from competitive chess at 43. It’s not just the body that declines. Mental ability declines quickly too. What Brady accomplished was incredible, but thinking he could easily do it for 5 more years is not reasonable. He already accomplished the impossible.

45. Also gotta love how Cheatin’ Tom brings this up during Super Bowl week. Has to be all about him again. He just can’t help himself.

And the fan club whines because nobody respects or likes this guy. Go figure.

46. This guy is the biggest conartist compulsive liar egomaniac the world has ever seen. He will keep his name in the news anytime a QB gets injured. Lebron James is less annoying than Brady and that says it all

47. Brady was terrible for most of the playoff game against LA that he lost. QBR was under 14. He was 30 for 54 – that’s 24 incompletions in one game – I don’t know how that’s even possible. And 1 TD and 1 INT.

Brady’s got an ego that rivals Elon Musk and Donald Trump.

Wrap it up, dude. Sell some shirts and some protein powder.

48. Why does this incite so much anger?

It’s not every day that a 45 year old walks away from a sport while still playing at an MVP level. He’s allowed to not close the door on a return. If Roethlisberger said something like this, it would be fine to say “Ben , just go away. You don’t have it anymore.” But Brady? If you’re clamoring for him to just shut up and stay retired, you don’t like football. And I’m not a Pats or Bucs fan.

49. If a team finally is willing to spend a first round pick on him in a trade and that teams happens to be the 49ers, do you think he would say no?
    It would be his ultimate gratification that he has always been seeking that he would probably decline, knowing he has really achieved everything, except winning a Super Bowl with a third team. He stays retired. Nothing left to prove to anybody

50. As a 49ers fan here in SF, all I can say is this would be a seismic event. And I don’t mean the Hayward fault. Trade JG, bring in The GOAT, let the kid learn from him.