Houston Texans v Cleveland Browns
Getty Images

The Browns’ “extensive” research regarding Deshaun Watson omitted one key figure in the off-field controversy engulfing their new quarterback. The Browns did not contact Tony Buzbee, lawyer for the 22 women who have sued Watson for sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions.

“The Browns organization did not reach out to me,” Buzbee told John Barr of ESPN.com. “I didn’t expect them to do so, and can understand why they didn’t. But, knowing what I know, they probably should have.”

So why wouldn’t they at least call Buzbee? Even if his skewed version of the events would be discounted by the fact that he has a duty to represent zealously the 22 plaintiffs, doesn’t it make sense to hear it directly from him?

The problem is that, if the Browns had talked to Buzbee, he’d be crowing that they traded for Watson despite everything he told them. It’s a no-win situation for the Browns, because Buzbee’s strategy would be to complain about whatever the Browns ultimately did.

Buzbee is trying to cause maximum chaos for Watson, in the hopes of getting him to settle the 22 cases for maximum value. That said, Watson should settle the cases, now. He needs to put this behind him. He needs to make sure the 22 plaintiffs have gotten some sense of justice.

If it were just one person, it would be different. With 22 plaintiffs, it’s hard to dismiss all of them as conspiratorial or delusional or lying or whatever. The critical mass lands somewhere between one and 22. At 22, the common defenses used to shrug at claims of sexual misconduct become much harder to digest.

The process continues. The Browns, smitten by Watson’s talent, are willing to assume whatever risks may be associated with the transaction. Whether it’s seeing the pending cases go sideways or having one or more others come forward, the full cost of the situation won’t be known, for a while. Whether the Browns are making a calculated risk or a reckless one, they’re still taking a very real chance that this one won’t blow up in their faces.

64 responses to “Tony Buzbee, lawyer for the 22 plaintiffs suing Deshaun Watson: Browns didn’t reach out to me

1. I feel bad for the Brownies. It just seems this gamble is going to leave them broke and QBless a while. The QB carousel there isn’t as slowed as many think.

2. Maybe because the Browns aren’t interested in what you are saying?? Maybe they are just concerned with what Watson lawyer had to say and what the grand jury had to say. Not an ambulance chasing grubby lawyer.

3. He cannot be trusted. No way you ask him his opinion. He is probably the reason these women cannot be believed. 22 stories, all the same? He wrote the stories. Cannot be trusted. He’s done a tremendous disservice to women.

4. If i wanted to do objective research I wouldn’t reach out to this guy either.

5. Actually he should thank them……. Now he has a shot at that fat contract Watson just signed

6. Nobody cares what Buzbee says. He’s an ambulance chasing slime ball lawyer and Watson is a horny perv!

7. I’m interested in him potentially bringing women over state lines for these actions

8. I doubt he’s paying 22, despite what the ambulance chaser is hoping for:
    After the massage therapy sessions with Mr. Watson, 8 plaintiffs bragged about,
    praised, and were excited about massaging Mr. Watson;
     7 plaintiffs willingly worked or offered to work with Mr. Watson after their
    alleged incidents;
     3 plaintiffs lied about the number of sessions they actually had with Mr.
    Watson;
     3 plaintiffs lied about their alleged trauma and resulting harm;
     5 plaintiffs told others they wanted to get money out of Mr. Watson; and
     5 plaintiffs have scrubbed or entirely deleted their social media accounts.

9. c2excellence says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:02 pm
    They probably think he is a clown.
    ===========================

Think he is a clown? You are too kind.

10. The Browns don’t need to solve the case, they need to know exactly how many games will be playing and exactly how many games he will NOT be playing. Along with the contract implications behind all of that. None of which Tony Buzbee has any knowledge of so what would be gained by speaking to him?

11. charger383 says:
    I hope he finds more crimes that stick to Watson

So charger 383 – just so I understand – you’re hoping these allegations are legitimate, and that there are more of them??

12. I’d love to hear Steelers fans (or Bengals or Ravens fans) start a butt massage chant this season while they have a home game against the Browns. . “Butt massage … butt massage”

13. How about the opposite. By all we see, the Browns are playing him, and the league won’t suspend him until these 22 cases are settled. If I were him, I might instead slow walk it. Every day probably means more of them get desperate and will settle for less, AND maybe agree to not disclose the terms of any settlement. Every day the leverage they have gets less and less. If I was him I probably wouldn’t be in any hurry. Much better for him if any settlement happens in the off season. He has his deal and his new team now. And after a while, the 22 women look less and less truthful.

14. If Watson is so innocent then Why did the Texans want Nothing to do with him?
    Yup 22 Women……. But Zeke was guilty 🤣! Can’t make this up.

15. I’m in Houston, this cat ran for mayor 3 years ago and got defeated,you can’t believe the mudslinging that went on between both parties. This cat is a stone joke plain and simple. Lol

16. I understand why you wouldn’t want to talk to a lawyer. I don’t understand what an extensive investigation is if all you did was call Watsons mom/girlfriend and watch game tape. So you are going to give a quarter billion dollars to a QB whom A. Hasn’t spoken let alone played football in a year. B. Has oodles of allegations and a pending civil case times 22. C. Has a pending suspension. Not if. When and how long. D. He will recieve no young talent for years…Look I hope the kid is innocent. But I’m betting he doesn’t play the whole season out let alone the contract. Factory in full gloom. How can you be a fan of this? Yikes.

17. charger383 says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:13 pm
    I hope he finds more crimes that stick to Watson

————————

He’s gonna have to find one before he finds “more”

18. charger383 says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:13 pm
    I hope he finds more crimes that stick to Watson
    —————————————————————————————————————
    Confucious say, “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

19. Maybe the Browns extensively investigated Buzbee to determine if his credibility merited talking to, and they decided not. Possible. Anyway – coming from one who always bitches about anti-Browns posts and had anticipated doing the same here based on the headline – thanks for accurately detailing the Browns dilemma within the article.

20. Yeah, Buznee is probably a scumbag but have you all bothered to Google Jimmy haslam? I used to work for the guy many years ago, not a great person.

21. thatguywhoalwayssayschampionship says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:30 pm

I think they all get their butts massaged legitimately – you might work on a new chant.

22. seanytheirishman says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:09 pm

3013Rate This

—————-

It’s more than a perv..Sexual assault is a felony whether you are Peyton Manning and money covering that up or DeShaun Watson.

23. So desperate for a capable qb. The Browns were at the top of the world when they had alll those picks and more money than anyone. Everyone was like wow the Browns, and nothing happened. Now they traded 3 first round picks and gave 230 mill gauranteed to just one player. Seems like you have to build your team slowly and have everything in place while losing. And soon as you get there and have a solid D line and O line with pieces everywhere u get your rookie qb u dont have to pay for 5 years and thats how winning is done.

24. Browns don’t care if he did every single thing he’s accused. They just care about his availability. They’re more than happy to go all Steelers/Roethlisberger on this one.

25. 3 first round picks my god. That’s trading the 3 best in the world one percent that you don’t have to pay for four years.

26. This wouldn’t be the first or the 10 thousandth time Buzbee has told a bald-faced lie.

27. Another slip-and-fall lawyer pretending to act in his clients best interests. Cha-ching…

28. He’s not going to settle because he’s being told by his people that he’s in the clear. It’s not going to end well I’ve been saying that from the beginning. The bar is a lot lower in civil cases, and he should have made a serious settlement offer before he agreed to his new deal. The price to settle just increased drastically

29. As a Texans fan, I’m glad this circus left town. I kind of feel bad for Browns fans though. Also, the fact that he has 22 accusers doesn’t add to the allegations credibility to me. At best, Watson is a complete idiot for hiring Instagram model “massage therapists”, but these women are actually what he thought they were. It’s very possible that once one of them tried to strike it rich, many others did. We’ll never know, but assuming he assaulted any of them just due to the multiple accusers isn’t right to me. Let’s remember what business these women were in and it wasn’t strictly about massages. The NFL should discipline Watson the same way they would if a player was caught hiring 22 hookers though, even if the assault allegations don’t stick.

30. I must think that the settlement money just went way up. The 22 plaintiffs now know that Watson is making 45 mil a year. Watson just needs to make it rain and put this behind him. Oh, and good luck Cleveland. You put the “fun” in “disfunction”.

31. nosurrender says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:54 pm

———————–

The bar is lower to win a civil case but it’s not lower than getting a grand jury to indict. Remind me what the grand jury thought of the case?

Buzbee has been trying this case through the press for over a year, if he had a case he wouldn’t have to.

32. zabam1 says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:30 pm
    charger383 says:
    I hope he finds more crimes that stick to Watson

183Rate This

YES! Watson at best makes poor choices and the Browns are just dumb, both should pay for their errors in judgement

33. So the Browns made a bet giving away the present and future without knowing the odds. Clearly they lack information. No wonder they are a disaster. Good luck Brownie fans.

34. Day Three of Not Having Watson on the Texans Roster.

We have had THREE GREAT DAYS IN A ROW!

35. 150bigdaddy says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:33 pm
    I’m in Houston, this cat ran for mayor 3 years ago and got defeated,you can’t believe the mudslinging that went on between both parties. This cat is a stone joke plain and simple. Lol.

Please don’t insult cats by calling Buzbee a cat. As a cat lover, I feel offended. JK

36. Instead of that new guaranteed contract, the Browns should’ve settle those civil cases themselves, probably would have been a lot cheaper.

37. Why all the hate for Buzbee? If he would not have taken this case, there are literally thousands of other lawyers who would have taken the case.

38. calizcowboyz says:
    March 20, 2022 at 8:33 pm
    If Watson is so innocent then Why did the Texans want Nothing to do with him?

———-

Probably because Watson said he would never take another snap for the Texans

39. I don’t blame the Browns for not contacting this guy. Why would they? They are clearly not going to get anything close to an unbiased account, and certainly would not get the complete truth from him.

However one feels about the deal overall, one should acknowledge that not talking to Buzbee was a very smart move.

40. I’m not sure what value reaching out to him would have. I mean is there a chance he is going to say, “hell yes, sign him, this is all a money grab? He’s completely innocent of all wrong doing!!!”

They know what he has to say and have clearly decided that they don’t have an issue with it. Right or wrong, that is the teams stance.