Bengals to deploy white helmets in 2022

USA TODAY Sports

When the Bengals first introduced alternate uniforms consisting of white shirts and pants with black stripes on both, one key piece was missing. A change in league rules will make that piece a reality.

The Bengals have announced that they’ll use a white helmet (presumably with black stripes) in 2022.

Like other secondary looks, it will appear a handful of times throughout the season. But those occasions will be memorable, with the Bengals for the first time in franchise history using something other than orange helmets during a game.

For nearly a decade, the league insisted on players using one helmet and one helmet only for the entire season. It had something to do with preventing concussions. It never made much sense, especially with college programs like Oregon having a different helmet every week.

Now, it will make sense — and plenty of money. People will be buying up these alternate helmets, from the new red Texans helmet to the new black Saints black hemet to the new white Bengals helmet to the old-school looks from the like of the Patriots and Buccaneers. To any team that has yet to take advantage of the new ability to have a second helmet, what are you waiting for?

48 responses to “Bengals to deploy white helmets in 2022

1. But will they deploy an offensive line so Burrow isn’t running for his life all day?

2. Bengals now own the best jersey and helmet combo in the league, hands down. That black and white looks sharp.

3. cnc33 says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:22 am

“But will they deploy an offensive line so Burrow isn’t running for his life all day?”

You know he plays a big part in that. He holds the ball way to long, and if not corrected it will shorten hi career.

4. I know I’ll get lots of thumbs down on this, but…They could’ve put an orange outline on the stripes. This just looks lazy to me.

5. I know the point is now moot since the rules changed, but I never quite understood this “one helmet” thing. Is it that hard to paint and re-paint the thing in between weeks if they want to change up the color scheme? It’s technically still the same helmet…

6. Black and White stripes will be looking like the Beagle Boys from the old Duck Tales Cartoon! lol

7. How many helmets get sold a year? I don’t think the average fan will buy very many.

8. I understand why people would buy jerseys they can wear. But helmets?
    —-

There are grown men out there walking around in public wearing WWE championship belts. People will and do buy anything.

9. Is this a way of easing everyone into a future name change from Bengals (tigers) to Zebras?

10. A cool and nice ode to white Bengal tigers, which (if you’ve seen one in person) are incredibly striking animals.

11. Black and White strips? Did they change their name to the Zebras? Or is this in homage to the on field officials? Clever move Cincinnati!

12. Some people need to do 5 min of history searching. They were named the Bengals because the Cincinnati Zoo at the time of their founding had a white with black stripes Bengal tiger.

It is about time they roll with that color scheme part of the time!

13. Someone in the marketing department actually approved this and thought it was a good idea.

14. It would be a great look for a team whose colors are black and white, but the Bengals colors are black and orange. My beloved Washington team now has a secondary uniform of black jerseys and pants – the team’s colors are burgundy and gold,for crying out loud. My fear is that when the NFC East v the AFC North cycles back around, I’ll miss the game on television because I surfed past the Commanders/Bengals thinking that it was an Arena League matchup.

15. Perhaps Siegfried and Roy can lead them out of the tunnel when they debut this helmet.

16. But will they deploy an offensive line so Burrow isn’t running for his life all day?

——————————————————

I guess you haven’t been paying attention to the off-season.

17. I wouldn’t buy a helmet, but I would buy the heck out of T-shirts with that helmet on it

18. Imagine if there were 2 red & black NFL franchises in Georgia, 2 gold & black NFL teams in Louisiana, or 2 orange & blue NFL teams in Colorado. The fact that the Browns and Bengals have basically the same color schemes is absurd.

19. BuckyBadger says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:52 am
    ~~~~~~

I agree, but you know they will sell a crap-ton of “mini helmets” for autographs.

20. I’m intrigued by the number of people that dont know Tigers have white on them, AND, wait for it, there are white tigers… (Minds blown)

21. Should have inverted and gone black helmet w white stripes. I don’t care if tigers don’t have that color scheme. They don’t wear helmets either. That’s going to be a LOT of white..

22. therealtrenches says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:34 am
    ___________________________________________________

We only know that it’s white. It may have black stripes with orange outlines or orange stripes with black outlines, or no stripes at all (yuk), we have no idea yet.

23. This many people can’t possibly be unaware that there are white tigers with black stripes. It’s been awhile since I looked into this, but if I’m not mistaken most white tigers in captivity can trace their ancestors back to the Cincinnati Zoo as they were the leaders in captive tigers before people really realized all the inbreeding that went into it.

24. Pedo Peter / Deshaun Watson 2024 says:
    ————-
    Ziegfried and Roy! White tigers!
    Bengal tigers can have white stripes, but it is rare. Usually the white striped tigers are Siberian.

The helmet doesn’t change the way the team plays on the field. The big question is how teams will adjust now that more is known about the Bengals offensive scheme. It will be a fun season.

25. It amazes me how many people don’t know white Bengal tigers exist which is most common thought of white tigers…Not only that but uniforms will actually match tigers look vs their black jerseys xD

“I know the point is now moot since the rules changed, but I never quite understood this “one helmet” thing. Is it that hard to paint and re-paint the thing in between weeks if they want to change up the color scheme? It’s technically still the same helmet…”

Pretty sure teams were using vinyl or something in past since teams alrdy had alt helmets for uniforms just a hassle I imagine vs having set second helmet

26. mnrasslinggovjesse says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:41 am
    Siberian Tiger color scheme. Not Bengal.
    ——-
    Exactly. The Russia Bengals everyone.

27. Being large in the auto memorabilia business riddell has been making alternate helmets for 5 years. From camo to flat black flat white alternate colors and the mem business is a BILLION dollar business. This isn’t new… heck I sell painted helmets that will blow your mind. For as much as 10k…….

28. I think they meant to say ‘deplorable’ instead of deploy. Fixed it for ya.

29. “mnrasslinggovjesse says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:41 am

Siberian Tiger color scheme. Not Bengal.”

Wrong. Very rare, but they are out there.

30. nyctraffic says:
    July 14, 2022 at 12:10 pm

———————————-

Do you know anything about the history of the NFL or the old AFL at all? Ever hear of Paul Brown? What a joke.

31. Just when you think the NFL can’t possibly come up with another way to separate you from your money, they trot out a new “league rule” that forces the Cincinnati Bengals to wear white helmets.

I kind of admire the gumption, TBH…

32. cnc33 says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:22 am

Didn’t the Bengals address this in FA??

33. jm91rs says:
    July 14, 2022 at 1:36 pm
    therealtrenches says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:34 am
    ___________________________________________________

——–

Actually, the design is out there and it’s not hard to find. No orange outline.

34. @milehigh777 That was “BD,” named after Yale QB Brian Dowling, who then went to the Patriots. They also had an RB named “Calvin,” for Calvin Hill. Loved me some 1970s Doonesbury, I did.

35. As a Chiefs fan, the Chiefs need to un-deploy the red over red and white over red unis. Stick with red over white at home and white over white on the road.

36. I think the Bengals should stick with the white as their main helmets. It further distinguishes them from the Browns and they look good, IMO.

And, while I’m at it – Atlanta should go back to red helmets. Jerry Glanville ruined those uniforms.