In this photo illustration, the American on-demand Internet
Getty Images

Sunday Ticket could end up being the biggest ticket in the NFL’s broadcasting rights portfolio.

Dylan Byers of Puck News reports that the price for the out-of-market package could spike to as much as $3 billion per year.

The report also pegs Apple as the “most likely” winner of the Sunday Ticket rights. Other finalists are Disney and Amazon.

Sunday Ticket allows fans to watch out-of-market games, at a cost in the range of $300 per season. CNBC has reported that the NFL’s deals with Fox and CBS prevent the Sunday Ticket package from being sold for considerably less than that amount.

Fans have been craving a shift from satellite-based DirecTV to a streaming product. It’s possible that the winner of the rights will be able to carve out satellite rights for consumers in rural areas that lack high-speed Internet access. The availability of the Sunday Ticket package for bars and restaurants also could be an issue, since they traditionally rely on satellite signals.

82 responses to “Report: Apple the “most likely” winner of Sunday Ticket rights, at possibly $3 billion per year

1. Somehow I have a feeling that the 4.99/mo 49.99/yr of Apple TV is about to increase tremendously.

2. I am no tech expert but would that mean every football fan in America would have to buy an apple device to watch? They will make a profit beyond what they paid for the rights if that is the case.

3. But will Apple sell individual team viewing for less than the usually obscene $300?

4. Three billion per year. So why are tax payers footing at least half the bill for some of these new stadiums going up?

5. Good. I can finally dump Directv and it’s bloated service that I do not use!

6. how many peopl;e will want to buy all these different platforms to watch games? Seems like they will be alienating a large portion of fans that simply can’t afford Apple, Amaazon and whatever else they decide to add. Their greed is well publicized as is their not caring about anything or anyone else’s opinions. With inflation and the world in general out of control, the growth will not continue…unless fans continue to be the manipulated morons they have shown themselves to be (not all, just a large pct)

7. Apple has over $100 Billion dollers of cash on their balance sheet. So 3 Billion dollars is chump change to them.
    But what happens to the 50% of smart phone users that use Android that is supported by Google? Will they be shut out?
    Will Google block them from using an Apple app? Or will Apple have to compensate Google for letting Android users use an Apple app?
    Am I asking too many questions? Well am I?

8. Great. Guess I still won’t be able to use Sunday ticket. I refused to pay for DitectTV just to buy it, and I refuse to sign up for Apple just to buy it.

But at least the NFL has again alienated it’s fans by selling it’s rights to the least subscribed of the three streaming services bidding on it.

9. Apple TV+ Subscribers = 25 million
    Disney+ Subscribers = 187 million
    Amazon Prime Subscribers = 200 million

Smart move NFL

10. Paying this much for a $300 service makes the most sense for Apple. Apple wants to pull people into their sevice sphere who can afford to buy stuff that isnt cheap.

11. Ugh this was my least favorite choice. Easily the worst in terms of content and most likely to charge an extra premium.

12. Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I HATE Apple products! It looks like every NFL game will come with emojis splashed all over the screen.

13. $300 a year to watch the back up QBs of out of market teams by mid season isn’t as appealing as it sounds.

14. Financially, don’t expect any changes for the fans. We still have to fork out 100s of $ s for games we will never watch.
    The NFL has to find a way to sell packages on a per team basis. They might be pleasantly surprised when a lot more people sign up and boost their profits even more

15. Anything Apple is always overpriced. I’m sure they won’t break that trend with Sunday Ticket. When are these greedy souls going to realize when you overcharge you encourage piracy?

16. If you asked for a steak at a restaurant and they were like Sure it’s part of our steak-lobster-chicken-meatloaf package, you have to buy them all at a huge cost, you would be enraged. Yet this is the cable TV model we are still stuck with. You pay a premium and actually enjoy 5-10% of what you bought.

17. I am no tech expert but would that mean every football fan in America would have to buy an apple device to watch? They will make a profit beyond what they paid for the rights if that is the case.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    No, I have a Samsung TV and there is an apple tv app on it already that I could use if I wanted to watch something on it. Pretty sure you can get it on a fire stick too

18. Stu Bidaciou says:
    July 14, 2022 at 2:07 am

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Apple TV+ is a streaming service that is available on any platform not just Apple. It’s no different than Netflix, Disney+, Amazon, Etc. So no you do not have to buy an Apple product to watch the games on Sunday Ticket if they get the bid.

19. What fans were craving for a streaming service for the NFL ticket that will cost twice as much as Direct TV charges?

20. I called DTV yesterday inkling around trying to get a deal for ST but they didnt bite. They still want $293 for the year for basic ST package. Whomever gets the streaming rigths your going to have to pay a monthly fee for all the other stuff plus the $293. Thus its going to get costlier.
    My gutt says ATT will try and unload DTV but without the ST the price will be a lot less. They have offers in the past and turned them down. If they think I’m going to pony up to the bar to help them make up for all the people who bail, they are wrong. I already upgraded my streaming equipment and am working on a deal with spectrum so it will be adios suckers.

21. Stu Bidaciou says:
    July 14, 2022 at 2:07 am

—–

AppleTV+ is a streaming service. You don’t need an Apple device to watch it. It’s an app on a lot of smart TV’s and it’s on Roku and Fire sticks. The real questions are, will it be an add-on? How much? Can we just pay for the one team we care about?

22. If true, it looks like the service that’s most desperate for subscribers is willing to overpay. The league also probably wants to go with a service whose subscribers usually maintain a conventional cable subscription, rather than a service aimed at cord cutters (like YouTubeTV, which has NBA League Pass).

23. Apple? They’re entire business model relies on extra costs and planned obsolescence. This is going to get very expensive for consumers. It will go something like this: consumers need a new special device to stream NFL. Added subscription fees. Added software update fees. Purchase of new “better” style of power cable required in year 2. New special “upgraded” streaming device needed for year 3. Software no longer compatible with original device. And on. And on.

24. Fitting that the NFL would take advantage of what most of us know : apple customers typically have more money than brains.

Apple literally admitted to using updates to make older model phones obsolete so customers will buy a brand new version of the same phone that costs 200 more.

500 bucks a year to watch three more games than I normally would, but I get to look down on others who dont spend 500? Count me in.

25. $3 Billion dollars / $300 = 10,000,000. They are going to need 10,000,000 to sign up at $300 just to break even. From what I could find less than 2 million were getting it by satellite.

26. No more Sunday night football OT THhursday night football for me with this streaming nonsense. If I gotta see a game guess I can walk to the neighborhood bar for some wings and suds.

27. If this forces me into the Apple ecosystem by making me get AppleTV – HARD PASS. I will continue to stream games free from a great couple sites on the internet.

28. Answers to some questions above:

You do not need an apple tv device to stream apple tv+

That means that things like google tv devices can work with it just fine. I have an nvidia shiels and get apple tv plus on it. There are a ton of deals out for it, like Costco’s discounted one year offer. Not a LOT of content, but what they put out is usually pretty good.

Yeah, spreading it out over many different places (live tv via cbs/fox, thursday nights on Prime, Monday night on ESPN, etc. That means you need more than one tool to watch all of it. I decided some years ago that not having one or two of those was just fine.

Much of it ends up on broadcast tv, so I have an antenna.

My only interest in this would be the same as it was when I first bought Sunday Ticket when it launched and was $150/year – see my old home team, plus they’d give that to you for free in a moment if you extended your contract.

It was up over $400 if you wanted redzone with it, which was stupid.

For a while, I split it with my dad. He had directv satellite and it let you watch from the dish and one extra user streaming.

After that, since my home team is on broadcast 4-6 times a year, I just got redzone since it’s pretty easy to get that as an add on to many services.

Monday night football went out the window, because the cheapest way to get ESPN was Sling Orange for $20/mo. Nope. However, that ‘free phone football’ that gave you access to monday night games didn’t always know that it wasn’t running on a phone or connected to your living room tv.

Many of the games are also on more than one place/service.

Another good choice if you don’t mind timeshifting and avoiding commercials is to get a discounted Game Pass subscription. They can often be had for around $50 for a year.

As soon as the games are over, the entire game is available to stream without commercials. A shorter and 30 minute snap-to-snap are also put together within a few hours.

29. Great.

People think our government is bad, but Apple is super good at dividing this country and monopolizing and restricting access to products. I hope this isn’t true.

30. I did not read all the comments but you guys do realize apple has an app that works on all platforms so you can view their content just like Netflix and prime
    I use an Nvidia shield probably the best streaming device outthere right now works excellent also an Amazon Fire stick will work nicely
    I believe this is a good thing for many yrs Direct TV has had a monopoli on the NFL games and now i believe the average Joe will be able to get it .
    Go Niners quest for 6

31. If it has to be no less than $300 a year, that would be about $17.84 for your team per week. They would probably charge no less than $19.99 / game / week

32. Wow, a lot of these people in the comments don’t know anything about how streaming services work.

33. Seems to be some confusion over “Apple products”. The bottom line is you will be paying a minimum of about $375-400 for Sunday Ticket. You need a device that can host the AppleTV+ App (Amazon Stick, Roku, a SmartTV, Apple or Android mobile device) and a subscription at $5 a month for the AppleTV and THEN the $300. Figuring your favorite team will have a few national broadcast games; you are paying about 29 bucks a game. Cheaper than going to a Stadium, but the GREED is out of hand!

34. I’m not an Apple subscriber. Unless the price is really reasonable, I will continue to stream the games I want to see from the Reddit links, like I have been doing for years.

35. sabomnim says:
    July 14, 2022 at 8:06 am

————————————————

Whichever service “wins” the right is going to charge an extra premium.

36. it’s an app – apple products are not needed – I have it on my Samsung TV. Army of rubes marching on this thread, lol

37. I can’t get Apple+. This is as bad as leaving it on DirectTV as it restricts who can/will buy the service. Stupid choice if true. I’m not buying a freaking Apple TV so that I can then pay $400 year for the ticket(yes Apple will raise the price).

38. Redzone for highlites is okay with me. Also I listened on sirius radio to my team local play by play.at home and in me car. Bill

39. In other news Apple announces an increase of $300 for any iphone/pad/mac but now you get free nfl ticket only on that device for “one year”…because we will change everything every year to make all of our products obsolete so everyone has to upgrade every year if they want to stream nfl ticket.

40. Racecar Tacocat says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:00 am
    —————————————————-
    The contract will be for multiple years — just like every NFL broadcasting contract.

41. If it’s Apple, I would expect to have to pay more than the $300. And somehow have to be indoctrinated into the Apple culture. Dear goodness, I hope not…

42. nfldivas says:
    July 14, 2022 at 11:20 am
    ___________

If you are unable to use an Apple product you should not be allowed to criticize them.

43. It is amazing how many people think you need to own an Apple device to stream Apple content. It is almost equally as amazing how many people feel the need to post about “Never owned an Apple product and never will” on a football message thread. Jeez.

44. A lot of predictable cry babies here that think it’s somehow their “right” to watch the nfl for free.

45. wingswbluecheese says:
    July 14, 2022 at 4:19 am
    ________________

Why do people continually try to mix apples and oranges. One thing has nothing to do with the other. However, since you asked:

Public money is invested in new stadiums because those stadiums provide much more than just being a home for professional football. New stadiums attract top line musical and other entertainment acts. All modern stadiums include surrounding development that brings new businesses, jobs, and thus increased tax revenues. Modern stadiums are essential to bringing large industries to a city. New stadiums bring an increase in community pride.

People opposing the use of public funds for new stadiums really have no clue as to how the modern economy works.

46. So In other words Im still not buying Sunday Ticket because Apple products are trash.

And to this thinking they are lowering the $300 price tag. Apple will raise it to $500 and say how do you like them apples?

47. Ultimately what makes the ST package expensive is the revenue sharing amongst the 32 NFL franchises. If fans were able to buy a single team package, there would be far more packages sold for the Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders than there would be for the Cardinals, Lions, Browns, Vikings, Jags, Texans, etc. No one wants to pay to watch those teams.

48. Racecar Tacocat says:
    July 14, 2022 at 10:00 am
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No business expects to make back the acquisition cost first year. They’ll make their money back over time – and then some.

49. Oh good. Thanks.

More proprietary hardware I don’t want or need.

50. My question is where is the value for compaines that advertisers on Fox and CBS? Fox and CBS bid for the right to broadcast the NFL so to sell commercial timeslots. This was based on and audience size and demographics. With the RedZone taking larger and largers shares it seems to me Fox and CBS are getting screwed.

51. And yet the fed min wage is still $7.25 while the cost of living has skyrocketed.

52. dryzzt23 says:
    July 14, 2022 at 12:51 pm
    ______________

Revenue sharing has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of Sunday Ticket. The revenue from hypothetical single ticket packages would be shared among all of the teams just like any other media revenue.

53. I signed up for Apple TV to watch Ted Lasso. I saw them all then cancelled. I don’t see me going back for out of market football games.

54. Good lord. At least sell it to someone you don’t need a damn subscription to the base service ON TOP of the subscription to the Sunday Ticket. 10 more years of still not having Sunday Ticket, I guess….

55. The question I have is will this be if you have the apple subscription then you automatically get the Sunday ticket (like they are doing with Friday night baseball) or will you have to pay the additional $300 on top of your subscription price?

56. This….