Marquette King: Jon Gruden cut me without meeting me, I think it was hate

Oakland Raiders v Denver Broncos
Getty Images

Former Raiders punter Marquette King, who said recently that he believes discrimination ended his tenure as one of the NFL’s few Black punters, says that when Jon Gruden was hired as Raiders head coach, King’s fate was sealed.

King said on 95.7 The Game that he thought he was in good standing with the team until then-Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie informed him that Gruden was letting him go.

“As soon as I showed up, Reggie was telling me that Gruden doesn’t want me there,” King said. “We’re about to let you go, we’re gonna put you on the wire, and it’s gonna hit the news soon.”

King would have liked a chance to talk to Gruden, but he never got that chance.

“I never met the guy before. I never talked to him. . . . I never got a chance to meet any of them. I never got a chance to talk to any of them. It was just the weirdest thing ever. It actually kind of hurt. It felt like a loss,” King said.

Although King did briefly catch on with the Broncos after that, he said he was devastated by the Raiders getting rid of him, and he felt that it was more personal than about football.

“Raiders felt like home. That was home. Staying in the bay was home. Wearing those colors, I couldn’t see myself wearing any other colors,” he said. “I honestly should’ve took a year off. I was just so scarred from that, man. Feeling like somebody just has a motive behind just letting you go. I honestly don’t understand. I think it was hate. That’s what I feel like. That’s the only way you can be like that towards somebody if you never met them. I don’t know, some people just got hate in their heart.”

There were reports at the time that Gruden’s problems with King were more about his personality than his punting. King’s latest comments would seem to verify that.

71 responses to “Marquette King: Jon Gruden cut me without meeting me, I think it was hate

1. Any coach .. old school or new ..will cut a punter the second they become a distraction.

2. It’s because you are a punter so nobody cares. Nothing to do with your race. It’s your ego and the fact you couldn’t just shut up and kick and then stay out of the way. Every other kicker/punter seems to be able to figure that out.

3. Maybe Gruden just didn’t want to pay up for a punter who craved attention and liked to be controversial. Seems to have worked out alright for the Raiders.

4. I anticipate this new career path will be considerably more profitable for Marquette.

5. Regardless of your opinion on whether he should or should not have been cut, I think everyone can agree that Gruden not having the balls to tell him to his face – or even over the phone – and instead leaving it to the GM whose power you just usurped and plan to fire at the end of the season anyway is a very weak and cowardly move.

6. recoil says:
    July 15, 2022 at 5:51 am
    Maybe Gruden just didn’t want to pay up for a punter who craved attention and liked to be controversial. Seems to have worked out alright for the Raiders./////////////////////////////Didn’t work out too well for Gruden.

7. King was a very good punter. Great stats every year but became a diva. Dancing after every long punt. I wasn’t surprised he was cut as he acted like a major celeb

He then signed a big money deal with the Donks and publicly slated the raiders. Underperformed and was cut

He needs to blame himself not everyone else

8. I think in most instances coach’s decisions are based solely on the ability of the player ..race ..personal life problems are far less important than if they can help win games..however with what we know about Gruden he shouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt

9. Subtracting 15 yards from every punt bc of some stupid penalty really didnt help u.

10. John Gruden was the best thing for the Raiders and was ousted based on politics and lies..

Now the Raiders are failing a rapid pace……sounds familiar doesn’t it!

11. The only reason the ravens deal with Justin Tuckers larger then life personality is because he’s the best kicker in NFL history. If he was a punter he would have been cut years ago.

12. If I had a competent employee that had a toxic personality, I’d cut him too. There’s more to a person than athletic talent.

13. Sounds like a punter who takes himself more seriously than other position players. Stop flattering yourself.

14. No accountability for his personal foul penalties and ridiculous dances as a PUNTER. Dude let it go, it’s over.

15. He’s needs to understand that freedom goes both ways. He had the freedom to act like a jerk and Gruden and the Raiders had the freedom to get rid of him because of it. He, like many others don’t get that simple fact.

16. “He never met me, I think it was hate”. Great logic, that’s why you were cut.

17. When a new coach gets hired, there’s always coaches and players from the old regime that get axed without meeting the new staff. Stop playing the victim game.

18. He had 4 unsportsmanlike penalties in two years. During the same timeframe, no other NFL punter had one. Jack Del Rio called him out multiple times for being immature… at 32 years old. Raiders cut him and he went to Denver and started the same BS. After Denver cut him, no one wanted him. Talented player that hurts the team at the most replaceable position. All-Pro and Pro Bowl punters get cut all the time for the younger, cheaper guy. Why does this guy think he’s special?

19. I thought it was more about love. . Gruden loves football. He did whatever he thought led to building a winning team. I saw every minute of every game. I’m surprised Gruden kept him on the team for as long as he did.

20. Not sure I buy this. Had he gone elsewhere and performed well, maybe. But he didn’t.

21. Boy, you guys sure hate anybody who stands out or expresses themselves, geez. Anyway, Gruden cut him solely to send a message that he WAS some tough-guy coach and put fear in his players. Big whoop, Gruden, you cut a punter! How’s life treatin’ ya now?

22. You are a punter, the bottom of a roster. Get over it. Your lucky youdidnt have Parcells, you wouldn’t want that face to face meeting

23. Poopy Mcpoopface says:
    July 15, 2022 at 6:53 am

recoil says:
    July 15, 2022 at 5:51 am

Not sure one has anything to do with the other.

24. Sorry but I’ve seen so many coaches freely admit they want nothing to do with the kicking team.

The fact that he’s never been that good pretty much makes his case moot.

25. biancaneri says:
    July 15, 2022 at 6:45 am

I don’t know that I would agree. Remembering back to the Larry Brown situation, I don’t think Gruden would have had any problem telling King he was released. I thnk you are trying to make something personal when it was just business. King himself said they never even met.

26. This clown was more interested in making YouTube, TWITTER videos trying to troll other teams, players ect. than playing football. You won’t find them now. They have mysteriously been deleted now that he’s trying to sue the NFL. Lol! He lost us 2 games when he actually did play, he was horrible with a 39 punting average. Then he has an interview with Brandon Stokely who was very polite to him and gave him nothing but one liners. The interview lasted 90 seconds. When a fellow broadcaster, DMAC, called him out King told him to suck it. On top of that he confronts him at a practice and it almost got physical and had to be retrained…with a reporter!!

27. “He never met me, I think it was hate.”
    ———-
    It’s not hate when it’s an accurate assessment. He didnt like your personality(most wouldnt like a personality of any kind as a punter). He mightve hated how you act but that’s not what Kong is trying to allude to

28. Marquette seems to have let his last name go to his head. He needs to go throw his tantrums in the CFL, USFL, or XFL. He will find that no one wants a diva punter. No one.

29. dryzzt23 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 9:45 am
    —————-
    We don’t want him in the CFL either.

30. He’s right, it was hate…. Gruden hated his poor attitude, hated his penalties, and hated that he was a distraction to the organization….

31. I never heard of this guy. By the way I never even got the chance to be cut. Guessing Gruden hated me too.

32. Travis Kelce is laughing at this. This cat, punter, was so out of touch with his position, and reality.

33. I liked to see how some of you would act if you got fired without receiving any explanation or anyone even talking to you.

34. He’s absolutely right, it was hate. Coaches hate conduct detrimental to the team. Nothing to see here.

35. Ok. Jon Gruden also went out of his way to recruit and sign Antonio Brown. Then, after AB lobbed racial insults at the GM, threatened the GM with violence, he STILL tried to keep him on the team! Mr King, I think it’s more the fact you are a punter who wanted to much attention. Also, taunting the other team isn’t something punters do. By the way Mr King, I liked you.

36. One thing is for certain, he won’t have to worry about playing for an NFL team now.

37. Yep glad Denver dumped him too. A guy who thought he was the biggest guy on the team who never wowed anyone. And now he get’s to sit home & whine.

38. He infers that his release was purely racially motivated. Does that mean the other 31 teams harbor the same sentiments? Who else is lining up to bring him aboard?

39. At least King has respect and can walk around with his head held high. We know what you are, Gruden, despicable version a human being.

40. I don’t really have an opinion on the true reasons King got cut as it is purely speculative and no one but Gruden will ever know for sure. However Gruden may be the most overrated coach in NFL history. Coached 15 seasons and had a winning record in just 6 of them. Won his Super Bowl with a team Tony Dungy built into a contender. Was supposed to an offensive guru but only managed 4 top 10 offenses in 15 seasons.

41. Uh-huh… so what happened in Denver? You had your talent plus the mile high altitude? Blaming Gruden is beyond weak. One of Gruden’s best moves was cutting you. He put the team first.

42. Maybe you weren’t that great of a punter because you would’ve been signed to another team after the Donkeys.

43. At least King has respect and can walk around with his head held high. We know what you are, Gruden, despicable version a human being.
    ===========

King is the only player to speak out against Gruden so far.

44. Just stop Marquette. In-opportune penalties, lots of blocked punts, and even called your own fake that didn’t get a 1st. OK, Gruden could have called you. Gruden was a dick. So what? Even with all of that, you still signed a big dollar deal in free agency with the Broncos. Seems like the opportunity was still there. Life in the world of football Marquette. Strike while the iron is hot and you did OK for a punter no? Please just stop.

45. What I find odd about Gruden is he seemed to hate players that showed emotion or personality – when he had no problem with himself showing emotion and personality. Didn’t want the competition?
    Gruden was a decent coach, but an absoultly horrible evaluator of talent.

46. Idk if it had anything to do with race, probably more to do with him enjoying himself. Either way it was dumb to cut him

47. Marquette King was let go because his teammates hated him. He was a locker room problem. Punters don’t need to be flamboyant as was King.

48. …and those ME comments are exactly why you are not playing in the the NFL making millions and millions !!!You were arrogant on the field causing penalties-and arrogant off the field. Good luck in your future.

49. This guy was at the tops in terms of net and average, and the Raiders ended up near the bottom the next year. In this case Gruden did not subscribe to the old Raiders mantra of “Just win baby.”

50. Gruden was a horrible coach. He won with Dungy’s players against a team who did not change their plays from when he was there, talk about a silver platter.

51. Gruden was a horrible coach. He won with Dungy’s players against a team who did not change their plays from when he was there, talk about a silver platter.
    ============

Dungy couldn’t win with Dungys players.

Gruden DID win with Dungys players… but somehow, he’s a terrible coach?

52. Marquette King is currently unemployed, and Jon Gruden doesn’t even coach. That means there are 32 coaches not named Jon Gruden, and King is unemployed. Obviously, King getting cut has nothing to do with Jon Gruden. King is not a valued commodity by any of the 32 teams, and Gruden doesn’t work in the NFL. Certainly Bill Belichick would be interested in a great player who’s available. At least Belichick actually works in the NFL, and he’s a great personnel evaluator. Is hate the reason Belichick hasn’t signed him? Maybe so, but if 32 teams hate you, you’re out of luck. Ok, tell me again how Jon Gruden figures into this guy’s unemployment.

53. Why would Gruden need to waste his time with King? He caused more problems than he was worth

54. “Raiders felt like home. That was home. Staying in the bay was home. Wearing those colors, I couldn’t see myself wearing any other colors,” he said. “I honestly should’ve took a year off. I was just so scarred from that, man.

Fishing for settlement money. I’ll say it again, phony racial claims or any act looking to cash in on a race claim need to be considered a hate crime.

55. biancaneri says:
    July 15, 2022 at 6:45 am
    =============

UMMMM, getting players and cutting players IS the GMs job, DUH!

56. nite2al says:
    July 15, 2022 at 1:51 pm
    ==================

Go do some research, Gruden changed 22 players on the offensive and defensive side of the ball and the QB after taking over as HC in TB so your statement couldn’t be any more FALSE!

57. The ol but Gruden won with Dungys players, Wellll, ok.
    Why couldnt Dungy win with them? If Dungy would have won with them Gruden would have never got the chance.

58. Hate’s also assigning the worst possible motives to someone when he makes a decision that isn’t in your favor.