Richie Incognito retires

Oakland Raiders v Minnesota Vikings
Getty Images

Longtime NFL offensive lineman Richie Incognito has announced his retirement.

Incognito was a study in contrasts: Often praised as a great teammate and team leader, but also often criticized as a bully and dirty player. He was both a four-time Pro Bowler and a player who was suspended twice and fined several times.

The 39-year-old Incognito was a third-round pick of the Rams in 2005 and later played for the Bills, and Dolphins before spending his final three seasons with the Raiders. He announced his retirement on the Raiders’ website.

I love the Raiders organization, and Mr. Davis means the world to me. It’s why after four teams and 15 years, I’m retiring a Raider,” Incognito wrote. “My love of the game has always been what drives me. I know I’ll miss being in the locker room. I love being with the guys, I love grinding, I love training camp, I love practicing during the season, I love just the competitive nature of it.”

Incognito said that in retirement, he plans to go back to school and get his MBA.

42 responses to “Richie Incognito retires

1. Dude would be perfect for the WWE. Would love to see him try to bully some of those guys.

2. Several years past his expiration date, but hey, at least he’s gone. Hopefully he doesn’t show up on somebody’s talking-head TV show.

3. He’s retiring a Raider because he milked them for millions of dollars and only played in a handful of games. I wish we could’ve got more out of him.

4. My kind of guy!! Tough as nails old school in your face player who was the kind of guy you loved having as a teammate, but hated if you were on the other team. Suh is another got cut from the same cloth. They’ll both stomp you out, and then laugh at you. You’ll be missed Richie I hope you can keep it together after football

5. MBA in Bullying. It is a master’s degree that requires serious dedication and hard work. The brain will be overloaded with fear, similar to how a bully makes a person feel.

6. People will only remember the worst, hoping for better stories of Richie in the future.

7. “Incognito was a study is contrasts” to say the least. The kind of guy you absolutely hate to play against. But you love him when he’s on your team. Unless of course you’re the Dolphins. End of an era, probably good that he finds a more calming pastime.

8. Wasn’t happy when the Raiders signed him, but he kept his nose clean and played at a high level when healthy. I felt like him being hurt all last year was karma for the Raiders low-balling him in contract negotiations. But once Gruden was gone, I think we all knew that was it for Richie. Hopefully his mental health holds up and he can enjoy life after football.

9. He was a mauler and exactly what every OL coach wants on his roster. Sure he was borderline dirty but not anymore then alot of players that do not have the cheap and dirty player title.

10. Dude’s bipolar. Even on his meds, he’ll need a steady environment to keep mentally balanced. For whatever reason, he came through the drama of the raiders these few years okay. Hope he finds in retirement a place of calm.

11. touchback6 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 4:32 pm

This loser has been out or the league for a while. Good riddance
    ______________________

I couldn’t have said it any better. What a jerk of a player. And then you guys hate on players like Lamar, who teammates love and he doesn’t say a bad word to anyone. Makes no sense.

12. nite2al says:
    July 15, 2022 at 6:07 pm
    touchback6 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 4:32 pm

This loser has been out or the league for a while. Good riddance
    ______________________

———

Pointing out Lamar’s deficiencies as a passer is not “hating on Lamar”….

13. Lamar flicks his passes. Quite unique. As a receiver, it can often be hard to pick up the flight of the ball.

14. Great career for Ritchie! The Bills haven’t been able to run the ball since he left. Few guards could pull like he could.

15. When he’s on another team, you hate him. When he’s on your team, you hate him a little less.

16. nhpats2011 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 6:58 pm

nite2al says:
    July 15, 2022 at 6:07 pm
    touchback6 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 4:32 pm

This loser has been out or the league for a while. Good riddance
    ______________________

———

Pointing out Lamar’s deficiencies as a passer is not “hating on Lamar”….
    ___________________

Deficiencies? Calling someone an idiot, a running back when he has never played the position, ignoring his record breaking winning record, shouldn’t have won MVP when he led in darn near every category and was unanimous. Ah yeah, that’s called hate all while Ryan Fitzpatrick never made the playoffs in 17 years and gets nothing but praise on these boards.

17. Everyone hated this dude until he was on their team. Maybe a bit crazy but a throwback to when offensive linemen wanted to dominate on every single snap. Thank you for your time in Miami, Rich.

18. Just watched highlights of his career and I concluded that this guy should be strongly considered for the football hall of fame…

19. Pretty good career not so good with my Raiders, stay on your meds please and good luck in the future.

20. I hope he goes for an MBA /stay busy with your class work and one day you will have something new to be proud about. good luck> Bill

21. Watching videos of him destroying LB and DL is amazing. He looked like a LB laying out a RB with some of the blocks he threw.

And I want my OL to be a bit crazy. It’s the Raider way.

22. It’s proven that it helps the personal brand to retire every so often, so as to leverage positive coverage for the big come-back.

23. The guy he bullied in Miami deserved it.

————-/

Wow. I guess the people he pulled the gun on at the funeral home deserved it as well. Kicked out of two colleges for breaking team rules, fighting, and unsportsmanlike play.

He was also suspended by the team and league for the “deserved” treatment of his teammate and a club employee and was subsequently released by the Dolphins.

This guy may have been a good player at times but he is an awful person, always has been. Hopefully he continues to get help with his mental illness.

24. The best pulling guard in the NFL he is respected by all of his teammates as well as his adversaries. The people who talk negatively about him have never played football have no idea what they’re saying and don’t know him at all. He was one of the best pulling guards the NFL has ever seen and the raiders would be a much better team if he was in the lineup starting and healthy.