Steelers fans push back against new stadium name

Seattle Seahawks v Pittsburgh Steelers
Getty Images

The Steelers surely knew that fans would not blindly embrace the sudden and dramatic change in the name of the stadium where the team plays. And the fans most definitely are not blindly embracing it.

One fan has created a vehicle for the consolidation of scattered complaints about the name. A Change.org petition launched on Thursday has, as of this posting, more than 1,500 signatures.

“An out-of-state sponsor comes in and inflicts this name change on us that isn’t even easy to pronounce,” the petition asserts.

Don’t blame it on the sponsor. The Steelers sold the naming rights, and they opted to seek the highest amount in return them. They surely could sold the rights to a local business (or to Heinz, which is no longer local after being purchased by Kraft) for a lot less than they’re getting from Acrisure.

Obviously, it’s a meaningless gesture. The Steelers won’t be tearing up the deal and giving back the money. And the fans will huff and puff, but they’re ultimately not going to blow anyone’s house down.

The real question is this. Will Steelers fans simply refuse to call the place by its new name? What if we all agreed to keep calling it Heinz Field? Or the Field formerly known as Heinz?

Maybe, at some point, the Steelers would opt for a middle ground, if everyone keeps calling it Heinz Field. How about Heinz Field at Acrisure Stadium? Acrisure surely wouldn’t be happy about that, given what they’ll be paying in order to establish a national brand.

60 responses to “Steelers fans push back against new stadium name

1. Most teams/cities do this. In 2008, the Indians sold the stadium naming rights to Progressive Insurance, and to this day people still refer to it as “The Jake” or Jacobs Field.

2. Has the name of a stadium or event ever influenced enough people to buy whatever it is the sponsor sells to make it worth the money? The one that I always go back to is NASCAR and The Winston Cup. In all of the years that it was The Winston Cup, I never associated Winston with cigarettes. If someone said Winston the first thing that popped into my head was NASCAR. It just seems like a waste of money to me. In fairness though, it’s their money and they didn’t ask me. Most companies that sponsor naming rights weren’t built by idiots, and they’re obviously doing something right.

3. Steelers fans will just keep on calling it Heinz Field regardless of who is paying the Steelers for the naming rights, especially with the naming rights being owned by a company with such an unpleasant name.

4. The ONLY name that would be acceptable to this Stillers fan is “Arthur J. Rooney Field at Steelers Stadium”. No Heinz and definitely no Acrisure.

5. “We don’t like the new corporate name! We prefer the old corporate name!!!!”

6. It will become adopted over time, though there will always be the diehards that will never give in. (Says this Washington Commanders fan.)

7. This is stupid! As a Bostonian living in Chicago, look at the south side. The new stadium was named Comiskey Park. It was then changed to Us Cellular Field and now Guaranteed Rate.

Most white Sox fans call it comiskey or the cell. Same for the Blackhawks. They play at the United center, but it’s still called the Madhouse.

Even though my bruins and Celtics played at the “fleet Center” before all the name changes. We called it the garden. My patriots play at Gillette, some of us still call it Foxborough stadium.

8. madcapdawgfan says:
    July 15, 2022 at 9:52 am
    I will never be able to stop laughing about that name. Lol!
    __________________
    You’re a Browns fan. I would be far more concerned about that disaster of a franchise.

9. I’ll never call it MetLife either… it’s Giants Stadium. Always will be.

10. Miami still calls the Dolphins stadium Joe Robbie. I’m not even sure what it’s name is now.

11. Companies make huge financial commitments for naming rights, and supposed goodwill that comes from being attached to the facilities. In this case, Whoeveritis Field paid a fortune and got only animosity, ignominy, and badwill. Bad call, guys.

12. Who the heck cares? If folks are complaining about a damn stadium name I wonder what they do when they have real problems?

13. “How about Heinz Field at Acrisure Stadium?”

So instead of the name that’s hard to pronounce, you want to double the length of it with the name still in it.
    Sounds about right in this day & age.

14. Sounds to me like Acrisure is getting exactly what they paid for. How many people had heard of them before this deal?

Now, how many people are talking about their name?

15. You nean like GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium? What’s next? Sell the name of the uprights?

16. dryzzt23 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 9:41 am

1118Rate This

I must be older than you because I’d be happier simply calling it Three Rivers Stadium (like the one it replaced) rather than any fancy/corporate name.

17. The fans will come up with their own variation of the name. I never liked it when the eagles opened the new stadium and called it Lincoln Financial Field but people just call it the “Linc” and the stadium naming upset went away pretty quick once the season started. I think they even named each gate entrance as well to squeeze every buck out of it.

I agree with others, I don’t get what values these firms get out of the naming rights but on the other hand if the teams were not taking money for that they would be charging the fans even higher prices for parking/ticket and concessions (not that any of that is reasonable as it is).

18. Only stadium that I can think of that hasn’t sold out naming rights is Oriole Park at Camden Yards

19. In Chicago it’s still the Sears tower not the bastardazation name they wan’t you to call it it’s up to the fans call it Heinz field not that moronic new name.

20. LGB Community says:
    July 15, 2022 at 11:42 am
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“You don’t get out much.”
    -Curly Lambeau

21. LGB Community says:
    July 15, 2022 at 11:42 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How about Yankee Stadium? Fenway Park? Lambaugh Field? Soldier Field?

22. There are so many terrible names for stadiums nowadays with many being insurance companies just makes you wanna puke .

23. Stadium naming rights seem a waste to me. In Philly it is officially Lincoln Financial Field but its commonly known as The Linc and having called it that since day 1 it never brings any reference to me of Lincoln Financial anything.

so money wasted :Lincoln Financial Group

24. You have to remember that these are the same Steeler fan who call every Steeler tight end “Heeeeeeaaaaaaaaaath!”

25. LGB Community says:
    July 15, 2022 at 11:42 am

^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh come on. Yankee Stadium, Soldier Field, and Lambeau Field come to mind and that wasn’t even hard!

26. Heinz Field is, and has the sound of, an epic Pittsburgh tradition. Acrisure sounds like a pimple ointment.

27. First off, fans should keep calling at Heinz Field or better yet Three Rivers stadium. Broncos fans still refer to the current stadium as Mile High, even though Mile High went away in 2001. Finally, the powers that be conceded and now they stick “At Mile High” at the end. And for all of your Giants fans out there, sorry, you don’t even have your own stadium, so you can’t have any say on what it’s called. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

28. Don’t even dignify the new A-bland naming attempt. Continue with Heinz – everyone is comfortable with it – few, if any, will correct you. Avoid giving A-blank any credence by even typing or saying its name. Such ignoring blocks the collateral advertisement they otherwise get when fans discuss it. Give the local company, Heinz, the home town discount of free advertisement. Penalize A-blank for wasting money that the Steelers get to keep. Win-Win-Lose for A-blank.

29. Stadium naming rights seem a waste to me.
    ______________

Major corporations have public relations/advertising departments. They also use expert outside consultants. Businesses do not spend millions of dollars for naming rights without research showing a return on that expenditure.

30. dr33 says:
    July 15, 2022 at 12:56 pm
    Give the local company, Heinz, the home town discount of free advertisement.
    _____________

Heinz is no longer a local company.

31. Each team stadium should just be called the teams name: cowboys stadium, jags stadium,Steelers stadium……JUST have the Company’s fight over naming the parking lots for their product. Afflack parking lot A !

32. Get over it Steelers fans,…… I’m a stout Milw Brewers fan. The stadium has been called MILLER PARK since the day it opened. Now American Family Insurance ponied up some $60 mil for naming rights. Some folks still call it Miller Park. Big Deal. The games haven’t been affected. Let it go Pittsburgh fans. Call it what you prefer,… but the stadium name doesn’t change the game played inside.

33. I don’t think it has anything to do with what the fans call it. I think it is more about the TV announcers calling it by the sponsors name so that millions of people watching will hear the name over and over. That’s the advertising they are paying for.

34. In Buffalo, many (most?) fans still call the stadium “The Ralph” as it was known as Ralph Wilson stadium from 98-2015. Some even still call it Rich Stadium, it’s original name from 1973-1998. Before that, the stadium the team played in was downtown Buffalo, not Orchard Park. That was affectionately known as “The Rockpile” – War Memorial Stadium.

Very few adopted the more recent New Era and even less this Highmark business…

I guess my point is they can slap whatever sponsor name on it they want – the fans will ultimately decide if they will call it that or not.

35. As a Ravens fan it makes me so happy to see Steelers fans unhappy, but even I have to admit that this new name sucks. Come on Mr. Rooney. Do you really need the money that badly?

36. “Only stadium that I can think of that hasn’t sold out naming rights is Oriole Park at Camden Yards”

————/—————/——

Dodger Stadium and Angels Stadium.
    Some of you people need to think harder & longer.

37. welcome to 2022 where sports fans rally against the corporate branding of their stadium … to call it another corporate branding.

Meanwhile at Lambeau Field…