Green Bay Packers v Minnesota Vikings
Getty Images

In the 2020 NFL draft, the Eagles selected wide receiver Jalen Reagor with the 21st overall pick and the Vikings selected wide receiver Justin Jefferson 22nd. That proved to be a big mistake by the Eagles, as Jefferson is the much better player. And Jefferson is grateful the Eagles made that mistake.

Now Jefferson and the Vikings (who now have Reagor as well, acquired in a trade last month) are preparing to play the Eagles on Monday night. And Jefferson is recalling that draft night when the Eagles passed on him and the Vikings picked him.

“Every mock draft had me going to Philly, so when Philly was on the board, getting the phone call, and it being Minnesota, it was definitely a shock. But I’m definitely happy — way happier — to be here than there,” Jefferson said.

Jefferson is looking forward to facing the team that he thought would draft him.

“I’m excited for it. I can’t wait,” Jefferson said.

Eagles fans may be watching in frustration, wondering about how different things would be if the Eagles had made the right choice on draft night two years ago.

70 responses to “Justin Jefferson: I was shocked when Philly didn’t draft me, but I’m happier in Minnesota

1. So what you’re saying is that every personnel move Philly makes isn’t perfect and they’re not always right. This was about the time they got rid of Wentz, too, right?

2. I’d love to see Reagor catch a couple of tds, open because the Eagles were busy covering JJ.

3. The Eagles must have channeled their inner Bill Belichick when making that draft pick (says a lifelong Patriots fan).

4. As a Viking thats a guarantee of 9 games in a dome each season…in Philly only for sure…I’ll take it

5. I’m a Eagles fan and I was shocked and frustrated when the Eagles didn’t draft Jefferson.

6. He will regret saying that. The Vikings look great, but they’re fools gold.

7. The Vikings win one game against the Packers and their best in the NFL?

No way, I don’t believe it. No way this team is going to compete.

8. As an Eagles fan, I have drum of Pepto Bismol ready for the game. Howie, you’ve made some great moves, but Reagor over Jefferson is unforgivable.

9. It only goes to show what a complete crapshoot the draft is and how there is only some skill involved in the selection process and no team has an inside track on how to draft and luck is as big a factor as any. Throw the confetti if it makes you feel good.

10. “But I’m definitely happy — way happier — to be here than there,” Jefferson said.”

How can he know?

I think it would be better to say that ‘I am happy here in Minnesota.’

It just sounds forced otherwise. Not sour grapes exactly…just unnecessary.

11. Sucks we didn’t draft him and Pederson (most assume it was 100% Howie) wanted Reagor but it happened, it’s done with. We have Brown and Smith now. Also at the end of the day 2017 was a nightmare for the Vikings when it came to the Eagles so we also will always have that.

12. What’s not to be happy about.
    Your team is 1-0, tied for 1st in the NFC North, as well as finally lifting themselves over the .500 threshold for the first time in 987 days.
    He’s a Hell of a player, no question about it.
    I’d even go as far and say mediocrity has served him well. 🤣

13. Jefferson turned put to be a terror on to secondaries. His game has definitely translated well. Like an above poster commented, Philly is in good shape at the wr position. Teams miss sometimes. Look no further then the guy with 7 rings who was passed over 198 times.
    Should be a good match up

14. Jefferson is huge fan of teams with no Championships! The Vikings have a parade for winning the NFC North!

15. Story on Jefferson and the upcoming Eagles game and the packer trolls still commenting. Relentless, take the L like you usually do in Minne and get ready for the Bears game will you.

16. I remember when my team left JJ Watt on the board for the Steelers to take with the next pick and we grabbed a corner, turned him into a safety, then shipped him to Cleveland. Good times.

17. I don’t really understand some of these posts. The guy is happy to be playing where he is. It’s not like he’s Davante Adams and took less money to get out of Green Bay. He’s talking about how happy he is to be here. Don’t see the problem myself. I there’s a lot of hate out there,

18. Only 2 people in the NFL weren’t shocked that Jefferson wasn’t picked especially since the JJAW/Metcalf draft fiasco fresh in everyone’s minds. Lurie and Roseman still had to prove they were smarter than the average bear. Consensus best WR vs a guy who could run fast.

On the plus side for the Eagles that seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back as they’ve been drafting the best player the last 2 drafts.

19. 52champs says:
    September 17, 2022 at 7:08 am
    Let’s see how happy he is after his squad gets smacked around Monday night…
    /////
    By all accounts, this game looks like it will be great. And probably close. You got sour grapes my boy!

20. I’m old enough to have seen the Vikings pass on Marcus Allen, Warren Sapp, and Aaron Donald. As well as the Wolves passing on Steph Curry (twice).

It’s nice to hear some other city pass on a stud that ended up here & likes it. Well, Randy Moss too, I suppose.

21. Yes. Young people everywhere dream of spreading their wings and going to… Minnesota.

Don’t hear many clamoring to head to Filthydelphia either.

22. As an eagles fan i have looked very honestly at this and the fact is …Justin Jefferson should be thankful the birds didn’t draft him. He would NOT have had the production he had in these last two years simply because we didn’t have. A QB that was upright long enough to get him the ball. Wentz in 2020 spent the first 8 games with his face in the dirt and then rightfully so was seeing ghosts from then on. He never would have gotten the ball the JJ. Then in 2021 same thing would happen with JH. We would all be taking about how much of a bust he is. Btw this is NOT Saying JR would have been better on the Vikings. He just sucks. But JJ would not be the player he is right now if the eagles drafted him in 2020.

23. Always classy going to Philadelphia, where their fan base is surely already loaded up with bricks and garbage to throw at our fans, players, and coaches again. Filthydelphia is right…

24. Reagor is a Viking gone.
    Maybe he told JJ that it wasn’t fun being in Philly.
    That’s how he knows he wouldn’t be happy there .

25. Anyone who has to change the name of the team or city to make an insult is well…. Childish and pathetic. Filthydelphia? Really? Pretty damn lame lmao. You only make yourself look bad.

26. Hey, he’s happy to be where he is, big deal. He’s certainly not like the WRs jumping from the WI ship to go to KC and LV. Normally I’d say all the attention he’s getting shouldn’t be a big deal since the Pack D looked like a HS team Sunday, but he has proven his worth with the most yards in the first two prior seasons of any other NFL WR. The issue Sunday will be how the D stops the Eagles run game, not the Vikings’ offense.

27. golforepar says:
    September 17, 2022 at 9:37 am
    ___
    What short memories cheese eaters. Packer fans were falling all over themselves this past off-season celebrating their nfc north title after going 1 and done in the playoffs last year.

28. purpleguy says:
    September 17, 2022 at 1:55 pm

________

C’mon, you’re better than this.
    Both Packer wideouts were free agents.
    Free agents change locales all the time for a variety of reasons.
    And quite honestly, I’m not even sure just how hard they tried to re-sign MVS.
    Davante actually signed a 2nd contract in GB and played it out.

No, I believe Stefon Diggs is a better example of someone who “loved”their original NFL city so much that he was willing to do just about anything to get the Hell out of there.
    How quickly they forget. 😉

29. keithmillardloveshardees says:
    September 17, 2022 at 11:41 am

———————————————-

It’s funny. Dallas fans threw trash at an inured Dak Prescott as he left the field on Sunday night, yet no one has said anything about it. This sort of thing happens at every stadium, but you just don’t hear about it. Any time you mix alcohol and high emotions, then you get problems. That’s everywhere.

30. ohokgotit says:
    September 17, 2022 at 12:22 pm

Does this guy ever shut up? Me,me,me…win a few games dude
    __________

No doubt. It’s obvious that this diva just loves listening to the sound of his own voice.
    Talented receiver, but his ego and arrogance is nauseating.

31. The Packers haven’t been one-and-done in the postseason since 2011, while qualifying for the postseason ten out of eleven years since that time.

32. Lots of sensitive Viking fans on here. The zero championships making you skittish? R-E-L-A-X. Same outcome this year, don’t get so defensive.

33. I don’t live in Minnesota but I know I’m happier away from Philadelphia. I was mugged last time I was in Filthy.

34. What else could Jefferson say….”I hate Minnesota and wish Philly had taken me?” The hate mail from fans would be enormous.

35. Is he supposed to say I don’t want to play in MN? As a falcons fan I wish he was a falcon. However he now plays in a dome, and clearly could never handle the Philly fans. Philly fans expect toughness and the best. Had a great first game, however, was left wide open by an awful packers defense. He will be double covered every week, and Cousins doesn’t have the mobility to buy time for him to get open. Let’s ask him this same question at years end. My prediction is he will be a great wide receiver, but this year he won’t finish too 10.

36. stellarperformance says:
    September 17, 2022 at 8:35 am

———

No this isn’t revisionist history. I won’t pretend to know how to draft linemen and stuff.. but when it comes to rb/wr their college stats tend to very well predict future NFL stats.

Jalon Reagors college stats are mediocre at best and he regressed his last year (only 600 yards at TCU)

Meanwhile Jefferson got 1600 yards at LSu in the tough SEC his last year culminating in a championship. Yes team was stacked but remember he did that as the teams #2 behind Jamar chase which is insane. Joe burrow was so lucky to have them both.

I was blow away Jefferson didn’t go earlier. I was begging for the pats to move up and draft him but knew belichick would t since he already made horrible k’neal Harry pick year before

Jefferson

37. birds of a feather says:
    September 17, 2022 at 4:46 pm
    ////
    So…..you didn’t watch the Vikings the last two years, did you?

38. patsfan4lifedynasty says:
    September 17, 2022 at 4:58 pm
    JJ is a fantastic receiver
    ////
    Of course he is. Packer fans just have to come
    And vote no because they jealous.

39. I think people forget Diggs wanted out of Minnesota, badly, made worse by the Vikings asking him to accept less money for the privilege of being a Viking.

40. stellarperformance says:
    September 17, 2022 at 6:56 pm

/////////////////

As a packer fan you are making this up. He wanted off the Minnesota Vikings not out of Minnesota. Try and lie better.

41. golforepar says:
    September 17, 2022 at 4:13 pm
    Remember last time the Vikings actually made/lost a Super Bowl? Me neither!

////////////

I remember, but I’m not 15 years old.

42. Wafflestomp says:
    September 17, 2022 at 2:39 pm
    purpleguy says:
    September 17, 2022 at 1:55 pm

________

C’mon, you’re better than this.
    Both Packer wideouts were free agents.

////////////////

But the packers offered both new contracts even offering more to Devante than the Raiders. MVS and Adams turned them down to get out of Green Bay. That speaks volumes of living in WI.

43. Story on Jefferson and the upcoming Eagles game and the packer trolls still commenting.

they finally found the courage to come out of their hovels. They were nowehre to be found on sunday or monday

44. isitfootballseasonyet says:
    September 17, 2022 at 8:20 pm

_______

Yes, they offered Adams more money, but the player made it clear he wanted to play on the West Coast, closer to his family.
    The Packers obliged him, basically picking up a 1st and 2nd round pick for a expediting a free agent signing.

It’s still under dispute if GB even offered MVS a legitimate deal, how much money was offered, and the way it was structured, no info was ever released.
    For all anyone knows, the Chiefs simply offered more money.
    News Flash: Free Agents sign with new teams every single year.
    It happens. (Unless you’re a Viking, then you prefer to play for free just for the privilege. 🤣)

Let’s just assume the premise you’re desperately trying to push is true, that Wisconsin is just so much worse than the oasis of Minnesota, 🙄 that makes even more curious how the Packers have still dominated the division for the last few decades, being perineal conference favorites year in and year out.
    Especially since nobody wants to play here, right? 🤣
    How? How is that even possible?
    I guess this front office deserves a whole lot more credit than anyone ever gives them. 🤔

45. Wafflestomp says:
    September 17, 2022 at 2:39 pm
    purpleguy says:
    September 17, 2022 at 1:55 pm

________

C’mon, you’re better than this.
    Both Packer wideouts were free agents.
    Free agents change locales all the time for a variety of reasons.
    And quite honestly, I’m not even sure just how hard they tried to re-sign MVS.
    Davante actually signed a 2nd contract in GB and played it out.

How quickly they forget. 😉

um, diggs hated zimmer because he ran all the time

46. birds of a feather says:
    September 17, 2022 at 4:46 pm

dude are you okay? JJ has the most receiving yards over the last 2 years (yah know, since he was drafted and vikings didn’t know how to use him his first 3 games). He was a top 4 fantasy pick (if you didn’t take him there you’re doing it wrong). seems like you just hate JJ or maybe Minnesota, but to say he’s nota top 10 WR is just your own hate or bias. He’s been a top 5 wr and wil win mvp

47. 24-7 loss, held to 6 catches, 48 yards on 12 targets (11 targets, 9 catches, 184 yards the week before), Cousins had 3int and 1 fumble. Still happy Justin? How was that revenge game for you and Reagor?