Tom Brady announces that he and Gisele Bundchen have divorced

Heavenly Bodies: Fashion & The Catholic Imagination Costume Institute Gala
Getty Images

Fair or not, the inherently public lives of Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen make everything about their lives public concern. On Friday morning, Tom Brady publicly announced that he and his wife have divorced.

“In recent days, my wife and I finalized our divorce from one another after 13 years of marriage,” Brady wrote on social media. “We arrived at this decision amicably and with gratitude for the time we spent together. We are blessed with beautiful and wonderful children who will continue to be the center of our world in every way. We will continue to work together as parents to always ensure they receive the one and attention they deserve.

“We arrived at this decision to end our marriage after much consideration.

“Doing so is, of course, painful and difficult like it is for many people who go through the same thing every day around the world. However we wish only the best for each other as we pursue whatever new chapters in our lives that are yet to be written.

“And we kindly ask for privacy and respect as we navigate what is to come and the days and weeks ahead.”

It’s rare if not unprecedented for a high-profile athlete to experience a high-profile divorce in the midst of the season. People will naturally wonder whether the situation has affected Brady, and whether it will continue to do so over the next nine games and the playoffs, if the Buccaneers earn a spot in the NFC postseason field.

While it’s appropriate to respect his desire for privacy, it’s impossible to not ponder the potential impact of personal turmoil on professional endeavors. Anyone who has tried to focus and work when dealing with intense personal issues (and most of us have had to do that at some point) can relate.

128 responses to “Tom Brady announces that he and Gisele Bundchen have divorced

1. After just celebrating 32 years of marriage yesterday, I am always sad when I hear of marriages breaking up. 13 years is still a long time for celebrity marriage so it is especially sad to hear this.

2. Don’t know them, have my own problems. Yet i still find it sad. Best of luck to all of you.

3. The Bucs will keep playing poorly for a while, but not poorly enough not to win the South, make the playoffs, go on a run, and win the Super Bowl because that’s what Brady does.

4. “Guy traded his family for the Bucs. Yeah, Tom Brady is insane.”

Did he?….Or maybe Gisele was the problem.

5. How terribly tragic and sad! Children of divorce are never ok. Tom is a fool. Sacrificed his marriage and family for a stupid game.

6. Tom Brady might honestly miss the swinging bachelor life and, while he’s certainly commiserating publicly, he might be fist-pumping and LFGing on the inside.

7. Sure, they will be just fine financially and those things but there is still the human element to it. Regardless of how much money you have, it’s a very difficult thing to go through, especially with children involved.

8. I don’t think him coming back was the driving factor, as it’s not like he was going to start cooking, cleaning, picking them up from school if he “stayed home”. She doesn’t do those things, so it was something deeper and this was just the straw. If he retired…was she going to retire also? To be a family?

9. It’s always better to leave the party an hour early than an hour late. Hindsight is 20/20 innit.

10. Think she realized that Tom was never going to spend time with family. If it is not playing football it will be announcing football. She waited long enough.

11. I am sorry to hear this. I am always sorry to hear about divorce, especially when children are involved. No amount of money can make-up for the pain, especially for the kids.

12. Sorry, but she put her career to the side and has been more than patient and there’s no way around the fact that Tom selfishly chose his 25th year of football over his family. Even if he wins his 8th ring, it all feels pretty shallow and selfish at this point.

13. realfootballfan says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:28 am
    Guy traded his family for the Bucs. Yeah, Tom Brady is insane.

Not his family, his wife.

14. If this is really a case of him choosing football over a woman he loves and spending time with his children he is going to come to regret this decision. Sad for everyone involved.

15. I’d kill for either the fame or money or wife. Dude’s got all 3 and hosed it. GREED.

16. Satan says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:34 am
    So Gisele is available now?
    —————————

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

17. While there’s probably a lot more behind the curtain as to why it fell apart, not calling it a career after the Bucs won the SB could have been a tipping point. What else was there to do, or prove? The most accomplished QB EverR, did it without Belicheck, set records, etc. The legacy was, and is, set for as long the sport exists. Maybe that was her question….”what’s more important at this point? Your football career or us?”
    Asked and answered, it appears.

18. Been married to my lovely wife 38 years. Worked through many challenge of work , night shifts time apart. I can’t imagine the pressures of the high profile life and huge work commitments these two have to endure. Always been a Viking fan but always admired the fight in Brady during his career. Thoughts and prayers to both 🙏 of them and their children through these difficult times.

19. We can all speculate and make our judgements on Tom’s personal life…my take is this goes way deeper than him playing 1 more year of football. How many people in this world have done more ridiculous things and stay together? Famous people and power couples relationships end just as regular folks do and this one is no different.

20. I have no idea what happened here, but if the issue was really an ultimatum from Gisele to quit football or else, Tom did the right thing. Once ultimatum’s start and are agreed to, the marriage is already fried. Dad’s and Mom’s work at demanding jobs all across America. Everyone should always be open to discussion and compromise, but you can’t make a life together forced by threats and ultimatums. I’ve been married 33 years and still love my wife more than anything. I would never issue her an ultimatum and expect the marriage to continue, and she feels the same about me. Once you are at a point of telling your spouse what they must do or else, the marriage is already over.

21. Not going to speculate on things I know nothing about but on the surface it looks like he chose football over his family. Can’t help but think he will someday regret that decision.

22. Tom was never going to stay home and be a family man. Football is his life. Dude threw away his marriage to play on a terrible team when he really should’ve retired in the top after he win that superbowl.

23. AFTER I WIN THE POWER BALL TONIGHT (800M) IF TOM OR GISELE NEED TO BORROW SOME MONEY, JUST LET ME KNOW.

24. daytontriangles says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:52 am

There is a greater than 0% chance Gisele will be dating Pete Davidson within a year.

– – – – – – – – – – – –

Close the comments we have a winner.

25. Have to wonder if when he announced his retirement that he sincerely meant to be retired…but things were already too far gone to reconcile so he said “to heck with it. I may as well go and play football.”
    This also brings clarity to the 11 missed days of training camp.
    This didn’t just begin in August.

26. Wow. Tom Brady looks like a shell of his former self. The Bucs are going no where fast. But his ego couldn’t walk away from the adulation he receives from fans that don’t even know him. A wife/mother and (more importantly) his children have a right to have their husband/father. I guess Tom must have decided that he is more important. I hope Gisele and the children move on and don’t look back. Tom Brady just showed everyone what an selfish egomaniac he is. I don’t care how much he has accomplished on the field….he’s a loser.

27. Brady has grown older but not wiser. He can’t give up on a teenage infatuation to be heroic and the greatest ever. As a result he gives up or mars the most important things in adult life. Peyton Manning was wise enough to ride off into the sunset with another ring. Brady will forever look upon this (surely his) last year as drinking the dregs from the cup of athletic stardom.

28. Wow! I guess Brady is the only NFL player that has chosen football over family. I guess the other 700 don’t have a family.

29. It’s a shame. I don’t care who you are or what you do. Divorce sucks especially when there are kids involved. I was hoping they could have worked it out but it was not to be I guess.

30. Brady is closer to Alex Guerrero than he ever was to his family anyway. Nobody else finds that extremely odd

31. Long time for a celebrity marriage. If his playing this season was the cause I hope it was worth it to him. Based on his and the Bucs play, doesn’t look like it from the outside.

32. So yesterday all the rags were reporting that Gisele told him to retire or it was over. Guess that was BS and goes to show that until something is official it’s best to just ignore the noise.

One thing I’ve learned in my life is that every marriage is a mystery to everybody outside that marriage. We don’t know what happened inside this marriage and we never will. I’m sorry for the pain they and the rest of the family are going through and wish them all the best going forward.

33. Of course it’s affecting him (and her). Like them or not, they are human beings. TB12 will always be the GOAT, regardless if the Bucs have a bad season or not. I personally think they will eventually get it together & make a run when it counts.

34. It’s funny, we’d all like to think that we know what caused this and have already judged them for it. Truth is, we don’t know.

35. >> Guy traded his family for the Bucs. Yeah, Tom Brady is insane.

Ever think that perhaps when faced with the prospect of a lot more time together that one or the other of them just wasn’t ready for that life? It is easier to make imperfect things work when you have a lot of time apart. Tom is only insane if he really really wanted that family situation and gave it up for one more year with the Bucs. My guess is that it is more complex than that and the prospect of being together wasn’t an ideal place to be for the rest of their lives.

36. The reason why she married him was because he played football. The reason why she’s divorcing him is because he’s playing football

37. clemente21 says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:37 am

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As someone who grew up with divorced parents, most of the time the children ARE in fact, ok. Most times they are better off!

38. How terribly tragic and sad! Children of divorce are never ok. Tom is a fool. Sacrificed his marriage and family for a stupid game.
    ——————————————————————-
    Really, children of divorce are NEVER okay? Okay. You know what children are probably less okay than children of divorce? Children who watch their parents stay in a relationship that is broken and internalize the strife that goes along with that.

I’m a Bills fan. I dislike Tom Brady, for obvious reasons and for some others as well. But none of us has any idea what drove them to divorce. Perhaps football is his crutch in a trying time, NOT the thing he loves more than his wife. Perhaps he was unhappy and unwilling to give up football (something that he loves and soothes his soul) to try and save something he didn’t feel was worth saving. Sometimes divorce is the RIGHT and BRAVE thing to do.

39. Dedicating so much time to working instead of being with your family is ok if you’re struggling to pay the bills and provide for your family. I’m sure this is not the case for Brady. He is selfish!

40. ruffbufffire says:
    No one knows his home life so let the GOAT play football.
    ==

What home life? Does he even have one? Isn’t that partly why he’s in this predicament?

41. clemente21 says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:37 am

————–

Unless he was already looking for the escape hatch for reasons that have nothing to do with football.

42. This might explain but not excuse the Kraft wedding fiasco. Kraft lost his wife a while back and is finding a way to move on. Brady might find commonality in that.

Not an excuse for missing work though.

I’m betting on a singer next.

43. Bearfan54 says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:49 am
    That means I have a shot at Giselle

———————————

You really think that you can fill the gap Tom Brady left behind?

44. Dear Miss Bundchen, if you have needs going unfilled please look me up. I wasn’t given my name … I earned it.

45. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Be careful Brady and Bucs as it might be a long season.

46. Sad to see most people with Kids getting divorced. Has a Big Effect on those kids for the rest of their lives.

47. dstegesaurus says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:41 am

According to the divorce settlement Gisele gets 3 of his rings
    —————————–
    It’s only right, I mean Eli Manning got 2.

48. Successfully and strategically announced during the Mini Bye for the Bucs. You could see it on his face last night

49. lewisskolnick says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:38 am
    You can see Tom’s been on the get the boot weight loss program. He’s skin and bones.

Looks pretty dazed/zoned out. Doesn’t have the steely eyed focus. But hell man 22 years is pretty remarkable. Maybe things can change for them and the children.

50. I feel for them both and especially their children. Divorce is a very tough thing on a family. I wish them all the best moving forward and hope they can all find peace & happiness moving forward.

51. So basically he got back into football when he realized where this is headed. So this was decided back in Feb/March.

Also the 11 day vacation story was wrong. They were finalizing this.

52. Let’s put the snark aside and pray for the children. They’re the ones whose lives will suffer the impact of this sad situation far more than their celebrity parents. Although to give both Mom and Dad the benefit of the doubt, they will also feel the kids’ pain.

53. Gisele now has 3x the number of Superbowl rings that Aaron Rodgers has.

All joking aside, this is sad as it is every time a marriage is dissolved especially when children are involved.

54. tejastim says:
    October 28, 2022 at 11:59 am
    ——————————————————————————————-
    You bravely declare you’re not going to speculate but do so in the next sentence. Too funny.

55. Dedicating so much time to working instead of being with your family is ok if you’re struggling to pay the bills and provide for your family. I’m sure this is not the case for Brady. He is selfish!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Hey, if your team is in championship game, and your wife finds that a Gucci bag is on sale for 10% discount that will save her $300, and ask you to go with her. What will you say? Are you going to go with her because SHE IS RIGHT?

56. Sad to hear. Not a Brady fan (too many years of him dominating my Bills), but these kinds of things are never easy. Especially, as many have pointed out, with kids involved.

Still, am I the only one who wonders if Brady’s deal with the devil just expired? (“I want to be the best NFL QB ever! I want to be super rich! I want to marry a supermodel!”) Maybe he didn’t see the 2022 expiration date in the fine print?

57. The idea that it was just Tom picking football over his family is pretty messed up. We don’t know what other issues they have.

58. We don’t know what’s going in their personal life so I have no comment on that. But what I dislike most is the simpleminded narrative emerged from the comments is that “Brady chose football over family.” You and I were not there to see what happened. Something probably went deeper than the soundbites.

59. Wait until she starts dating a player that retired and stayed retired.. How about Gronk? Hahahaha

60. I wish them well going thru the same thing myself you know on 99% smaller level but problems possible still the same no matter how much you make. I am so sad because finally the one year Tom will have so much free time in January and now February guaranteed too…………………

61. Looks like the only thing Brady failed at in life is retirement, but boy did he mess that one up. Came back to be on a terrible team going nowhere, looks like he a washed up old man and lost his wife.

62. This is never good news. Hoping and praying for reconciliation. Of course this would affect his game – why wouldn’t it?

63. Sad for the kids. When years have gone by and the kids are all grown up and gone, he’s probably going to regret not spending more time with them.

64. The idea that it was just Tom picking football over his family is pretty messed up. We don’t know what other issues they have.

++++++++++++++

What is in Tom’s mind to G in this :

I will spend all off seasons with you and family, and I think I can play another 3-5 years. Why do you have to take it away from me?

65. The football world will embrace Tom Brady at a level he won’t be expecting. We see all the players, young and old, coming up to Tom after games. For many, he was their boyhood idle. Now we’ll see a line of players and coaches waiting to shake his hand and tell him how much he means to them. This is sad whenever you see a family separating. Especially when kids are involved. These things unfortunately happen in life. But I think today, Brady is more appreciated than ever before. Americans have big hearts. They’ll show Tommy their love.

66. None of us have lived with either of these people. We have no idea. I knew when I read the headline on PFT yesterday about Gisele saying if Tom didn’t quit football, she’d be gone for good. Believe me, if you’re going to the media with that kind of talk, it was already over. If you’re giving a man like Tom Brady that kind of public ultimatum, that’s not going to fly. Tom doesn’t have a ring in his nose. Nobody is going there with him. Not like that. Tom might be a complete jerk. I have no idea. But if I have to choose sides, I’m on Brady’s side.

67. This explains his unretirement. If she’s leaving then he’s got no reason to retire. He came back to the only thing he’s known longer than his marriage, that’d be football.

68. Not too worried about anyone in this situation. It’s not like any of them will be living on the streets – kids included.

69. It’s just a game for crying out loud. He’d rather play another season than kick back with the world at your heels and enjoy his wife and family? Money can’t buy that kind of stupidity.

70. “..We will continue to work together as parents to always ensure they receive the one and attention they deserve…”

Uh, if he had done that, he’d still have a supermodel for a wife.

71. So sad. That’s what happens when you put your career ahead of your family (sorry for being judgmental)

72. 11Rate This
    bawlzich says:
    October 28, 2022 at 1:09 pm
    Divorce is terrible, no matter who you
    directdriver says:
    October 28, 2022 at 1:24 pm

————

Plus this same narrative could apply to every player and coach in the NFL

73. Divorce is one of the hardest things to go through, regardless of the money situation. A lot of cold, clueless comments on this. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

74. MTV launching a new series; Diva Death Match

Kicking Ep 1 off strong with a battle royale; Brady v Rodgers v Wilson.. winner gets the cellar!

75. We have been hearing that Gisele wanted Tom to retire…for years now.I think that it’s likely that he agreed to retire, but changed his mind multiple times.

Tom admits that he has missed almost every holiday with his family, school functions, his kids sporting events. It’s understandable for most people when a parent has to work to provide for the family, but Tom and Gisele have enough money for 20 generations of Bradys.

76. Here’s where everyone comes out of the woodwork pretending that they know what’s going on in this marriage.

There’s one thing I DO know. If this is finalized already this has been going on for some time, I don’t care how expensive your lawyers are.