Jalen Hurts: “Beautiful to see” Eagles adopting his mindset

Pittsburgh Steelers v Philadelphia Eagles
Getty Images

The Eagles have risen to 7-0, thanks most recently to a systematic dismantling of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Even though the Steelers remain sufficiently dangerous to beat any team at any time, the Eagles emerged with a 35-13 blowout win.

After the game ended, quarterback Jalen Hurts explained that he sees the team adopting his mindset and approach to the constant competitive grind of the NFL.

“I’ve never been one to speak on myself in this way,” Hurts told PFT by phone, “but I really felt the transition of this football team and especially being here in my second year starting, I felt the transition of this football team, and I’ve always tried to have the right mentality approaching games and approaching different situations that may come throughout these experiences and what life may bring you. And I feel like the team is really kind of taking on the same mentality and that’s something that I preach as a leader, and I feel like they really bought into it.

“This is like keep the main thing the main thing, and control what you can. I’m never satisfied as an individual, as a competitor. And I feel like that’s what we’ve taken on as a football team. So when you go out there and play any opponent, the standard doesn’t change. You talk about perfection. Perfection is never attainable, but there ain’t nothing wrong with chasing something you’ll never catch because that’s what it is, we’re chasing some that we’ll never catch. But also, maybe we want to achieve things and do great things in the end. I just feel like we all have the same mentality. That’s what’s allowed us to do what we’ve done thus far, and we’ll do everything together.”

I tried to summarize Jalen’s thoughts. Is he saying that his own attitude has become the attitude of the entire team? That the other guys have bought into the way you view things?

“In short, yes,” Hurts said. “That’s exactly what it is. I think this team has an attitude that is a direct reflection of mine. And the approach is to never be satisfied, and to never waver in any condition or circumstance. And I think that’s what it’s come to be. And it’s beautiful to see.”

The results are also beautiful to see. The Eagles have matched their best start in league history at 7-0; they last did that in 2004, a Super Bowl season. With a win on Thursday night against the Texans, the Eagles will be 8-0 for the first time ever.

42 responses to “Jalen Hurts: “Beautiful to see” Eagles adopting his mindset

1. What I’ve noticed is that no one on this team seems to be worried about themselves. One week this guy is the guy. Next week it’s another guy

2. really interesting to see both him and Tua have success in the league. They’re both pretty easy to root for as an outsider.

3. I know this is about Jalen Hurts and it’s great what he’s doing, but the quote “Even though the Steelers remain sufficiently dangerous to beat any team at any time” is laughable. The ONLY thing that team has going for it is a head coach that has a fantastic record and one of the best pass rushers in the game. Other than that, the saying “any given Sunday” is the only way to say they could beat anyone at any time, which is to say they are terrible and it will take luck to beat a decent team.

4. Is he related to Russell Wilson?
    Come on, maybe win a few Super Bowls first before starting the “perfection is the goal” talk and claiming it was all your idea. The Eagles have a strong, well-balanced team but I need to see them play the Bills and Chiefs before picking them #1 in the league.

5. If the Eagles were in the AFC I’d be rooting for them all the way to the SB. Instead I’ll have to hope (and pray!) there’s two birds flying in January and Seattle beats them in the NFCCG. But short of that I hope the Eagles soar to new heights.

6. Dude is focused, makes the most of his talents and the coaching staff built the offense for his skillset. I’m a huge Cowboys fan, but I can’t help but root for Jalen.

7. Softest scheduled in the league. Call me when they actually beat someone worth talking about.

8. Philly by nature is a baseball town but darn if the Eagles arnt making this fall a very special place for ALL Philadelphia fans!!!

9. dadsource says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:11 am
    Jalen seems to love him some Jalen.

Jalen is about as humble as it gets. He’s just a focused man, with 1 goal. Stay grounded while being the best you can be every day. Nothing wrong with that mentality.

He’s got a bright future in this league.

10. Let’s see how he and team react when they face some real adversity this season. Philly fans can turn on you quickly.

11. Just wait until the pressure starts – Jaleen Hurts will bail. He couldn’t hack Alabama so he fled to a place easier.

12. My cousin in Philadelphia put it to me this way: Jalen says all that cookie cutter stuff all players do. The difference is, Jalen believes it. He’s a coaches son, he truly believes all the cliches, like one play at a time, constantly improve, etc… In a good way!

13. dadsource says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:11 am
    Jalen seems to love him some Jalen.

Really? That’s what you took from this? Somehow no matter how positive the message is, there is always someone who reads a negative tone. That is on you. Hurts is not a “me” player. He is a grinder. Preaching a message of hard work and never being satisfied is a strong ethos. Look where he has come from. When he was drafted as a second round pick, the Eagles were panned for wasting a high round selection. No one thought he would ever see the field. He is an example to others of where hard work will take you.

14. Pretty wild that Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, and Mac Jones were on the same Alabama roster at the same time.

15. Truly complete team playing as a team and not a team full of individuals. Its a beautiful thing to see. Btw i was wrong about jalen…..thank gos

16. Last year, and even at the start of this year, all you heard was “Jalen Hurts isn’t the Eagle’s guy.” Yes, he IS the guy. Many teams probably wish that he was THEIR guy. I love watching him play.

17. religionisforidiots says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:33 am
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before the season, everyone doubted Jalen. Now Jalen turns out to be a stud, and its “Weak Schedule”. Bruh, the schedule has been out for a long while now. Nobody knew how it would pan out. Lets stop the narrative now. Jalen beats teams. Period. End of discussion.

18. donnymacjack says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:21 am

If the Eagles were in the AFC, they certainly would not be 8-0. If they played the AFC East alone they would easily have 2 losses. Philly is a good team and I am happy Hurts and Tua got the support around them, just like Josh Allen got. It is pure nonsense that Alabama QB’s are not good in the NFL. The problem is they get drafted early to bad teams not ready for them.

19. The Eagles do have an extremely soft schedule. It is difficult to tell how good they really are. Got a feeling they don’t get past the 49ers in the playoffs. Good chance the Super Bowl champ comes from the AFC. AFC is much better than the NFC.

20. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:35 am

I love the Phillies and Eagles, but by far it is a football team first. It’s been that way since the 90’s.

21. Who could have predicted that Jalen Hurts would be the best QB from Lincoln Riley’s Oklahoma? Not the 2 QBs that won the Heisman, Baker and Kyler.

22. watchoutnfl says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:17 am
    Is he related to Russell Wilson?
    ——–
    I’m pretty sure Jalen, the eagles organization or any eagles fans are concerned about whether you rank them #1 or not. Your opinion doesn’t mean a damn thing lol. You can rank them #32 and it wont change a damn thing.

23. lasersepi says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:48 am
    ______________________________________________

He wanted to be a starter. That’s why he went to Oklahoma.

24. I knew his intangibles were off the charts, but I didn’t think he would play the position this well. I was wrong about him. He’s story is also a study in how to develop a young QB. Of course they need to study, do the work and be coached well, but you also need to surround your young QB with weapons. The Eagles have spent plenty of resources on weapons for Hurts, and look at the results.

25. There’s a QB scale is use where both ends of spectrum are unlikeable. Rodgers is at one end. Me, me, me…blame everyone else…act like a know-it-all. There’s that unlikeable. Then there’s this guy on the other end. I can’t put my finger on it equally unlikeable. I want my QB somewhere in the middle. Like Josh Allen. Confident. A leader. Not a cliche machine.

26. For those above who said the Eagles haven’t beaten anybody..They destroyed The Vikings who by the way are 6-1 and the Cowboys are 6-2 and Eagles beat them easily..it’s not their fault who they play

27. religionisforidiots says:
    October 31, 2022 at 11:33 am
    ———————–
    The Eagles are the only team in the league to beat two different 6 win teams.

28. Ron Jaworski is beaming with pride and practically giddy with anticipation to see how the rest of this magical season unfolds.

29. It seems like he’s taking credit for team success. I can’t imagine that goes over well. Maybe it’s not a big issue when they are winning, but a loss could change things (I guess a loss means they stopped adopting his mindset?). I would almost guarantee Kelce gets furious seeing this.

30. There is only 1 team in the NFL that’s beat 2 6 win teams for the Eagles haven’t beaten anybody crowd

31. Glad to see the Eagles doing so well and the hopes of Philadelphia fans rising. It will make the crushing disappointment in the playoffs that much sweeter.