NFL: JAN 11 NFC Divisional Playoff - Vikings at 49ers
Getty Images

Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa and 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa will meet for the first time in their NFL careers on Sunday Night Football, and the family may reach an NFL milestone during the game.

If either Bosa brother records at least half a sack, the Bosa family will have 100 career sacks among them.

Currently the Bosas have 99.5 sacks, with Joey having 59.5, Nick having 33 and their father, John Bosa, who played for the Dolphins from 1987 to 1989, having seven career sacks.

The Bosas would still have a ways to go before they had the NFL family sack lead. That belongs to the J.J. Watt and T.J. Watt, who have a combined 179.5 sacks in their careers.

Other football families who have combined for at least 100 sacks since sacks became an official statistic in 1982 were Clay Matthews Jr., Clay Matthews III and Casey Matthews with 163.5, Howie and Chris Long with 154, John and Ervin Randle with 145.5 and Arthur and Chandler Jones with 118.

12 responses to “Bosa family closing in on 100 combined sacks, with Joey and Nick meeting Sunday night

1. They aren’t actually playing against each other (and likely not even meeting) because par-for-normal one of them is injured and not playing. And since the game is in Santa Clara the un-healthy one is likely not to attend depending on his surgery recovery.

2. touchback6 says:
    November 8, 2022 at 6:20 pm
    Yeah, great, as the RBs whizz right by them
    and their team loses again because of it.
    ————-
    At least get some facts right. Nick is very highly rated run defender along with one of the best pass rushers.
    I’d appreciate a good player even if it’s not from a team I like.

3. Does anyone choose to get hurt in the NFL? Hurt players get replaced. Even the best, eventually. It’s a business, and when ROI goes down……

4. bobhk says:
    November 8, 2022 at 6:56 pm
    touchback6 says:
    November 8, 2022 at 6:20 pm
    Yeah, great, as the RBs whizz right by them
    and their team loses again because of it.
    ————-
    I’d appreciate a good player even if it’s not from a team I like.

206Rate This

—————

I do, too. Nick is clearly better than Joey, but BB would rope a dope both of em and has like he always did with Watt and all the others who don’t fully understand situational football. If you can’t comprehend this point, I cannot help you.

If collecting “sacks”, many of them meaningless, these guys wouldn’t even start back in the day. NE will run right through Chandler Jones later in year, too.

The last thing I think of when I see the name Watt or Bosa is setting the edge or them even knowing what it means.

Aidan Hutchinson joins the club next. Yep.

5. It speaks volumes of Reggie and Bruce that they have more sacks individually than multiple hall of fame and near hall of fame players, combined.

6. touchback6 says:
    November 8, 2022 at 8:48 pm
    bobhk says:
    November 8, 2022 at 6:56 pm
    touchback6 says:
    November 8, 2022 at 6:20 pm
    Yeah, great, as the RBs whizz right by them
    and their team loses again because of it.
    ————-
    I’d appreciate a good player even if it’s not from a team I like.

206Rate This

—————

———-
    Lol – I knew you’d bring belichick in. Dude the guy is not washed up. He’s a never been