Tom Brady says he has no regrets about un-retiring

US Football League NFL plays in Munich
Getty Images

Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady briefly retired this offseason, and when he later un-retired he surely thought his team would be better than 4-5 at this point in the season. But Brady says he has no second thoughts about his decision.

Zero, no. Definitely not,” Brady said, via ESPN. “I returned because I felt like I wanted to compete and I spoke to the team about it and they were excited to have me back. I don’t really regret those types of things — I think when I commit to it, I mean it and I do my best and try to give everything I can to this particular opportunity.”

The good news for Brady and the Buccaneers is that they’re in the NFC South, where 4-5 is good enough for first place. Given how bad the division is, the Bucs are likely to be hosting a playoff game in Tampa Bay in January — which will be the 48th postseason game in Brady’s career, by far the most in NFL history.

And once the Bucs are in the playoffs, anything can happen. For as rough a first half of this season as the Bucs have had, they could have an ending that will make Brady very glad he returned.

73 responses to “Tom Brady says he has no regrets about un-retiring

1. If Brady somehow, some way, pulls an 8th ring out of his arse.. I will breakdown and buy a Brady jersey.

2. He’s either lying through his teeth or a total narcissist. How can he have no regrets despite the incredible amount of turmoil it caused his family?

3. The team looks like a shell of themselves, but you think that even now, anyone really wants to run into Tom Brady in the playoffs?

4. Not many can recall the names of Babe Ruth’s wives. If football is still around in 2100, Tom Brady will be remembered for his achievements & career longevity, not his failed marriage.

5. How can he have no regrets despite the incredible amount of turmoil it caused his family?
    ———-
    Because it shined a light on the truth. If his marriage depends on accepting his wife’s edict to be a stay at home dad and not go to work… that isn’t much of a relationship. Is it? The kids will be fine, that was never a part of the equation (even though it was suggested at one point, then abandoned). The marriage was over. How would he feel if she divorced him later on, and he missed his last chance(s) to spin it? Luckily he played.

6. Why does every story have to be about Brady when I’m a 4 time MVP. Many NFL fans may call him the GOAT but those same fans call me a goat. So all the conversation and articles should be about me, not him.

7. Good for him. He’s got his health and his kids love and respect, can get any woman he wants.

8. Reading the article carefully reveals his no regrets comment is not about his family, kids, marriage, etc. He directly says “I wanted to compete and I spoke to the team about it and they were excited to have me back. I don’t really regret those types of things.” He does not refer to his marriage, kid or anything some of the comments are saying.

Wish people would read before judgement. His personal life is none of our business.

9. Forget that she was a super model, you left your wife and kids to enjoy experiencing a total melt down in ability.

If you’re telling the truth you’re as bad a person as many think.

10. you wont publish this but ask him, how is doing now that he lost between $200-$450 million to FTX? Additionally, ask him if the FTX investment was the source of the argument with Gisele?

11. No matter how beautiful her eyes, the long legs, the great figure……there’s somebody somewhere sick of her *stuff.

12. Why should he? Seems like they were leading different lives anyway, she shouldn’t be dictating terms to him if that’s the case. She knows where the door is and I am sure they even have someone to open it for her.

13. The contestants for this year’s super bowl haven’t been determined. The Bucs have as good a shot as anyone. Is there a dominant team out there? Maybe Buffalo or Kansas City? Philadelphia? Minnesota? I’d put my money on Tom Brady if I had to. We’ll see what happens. I don’t think for a minute that his marriage problems had anything to do with Tom playing football. I’d say he’s likely relieved to get out of the relationship without him being the one who quit on the kids. Marriage isn’t easy. When one member of a marriage decides to terminate their covenant, that’s a tough pill to swallow for everyone. Seems like Tom was willing to suffer through the agony for the good of his children. His wife wasn’t.

14. The question was incomplete. Better question would have been ‘do you regret trying to force your way to Miami while you’re still under contract but only decided to return to TB when Flores filed a lawsuit and you forced Bruce into retirement?’

15. Giselle just bought a house across the street from Brady. Sounds like a win-win. Get’s to see his kids all the time, gets to play football and maybe even gets the occsaional fringe benefit from Giselle for old times sake.

16. Most comments here and elsewhere indicate that the shine of TB12 is tarnished now that he apparently chose football over his family. Announcing that he has ‘no regrets’ only throws salt in that ‘wound’. There is a backstory that we may never learn for a long time ( what actually occurred to trigger the divorce) , but in the absence of more information many ‘assume’ that his decision to un-retire was the last straw for Gisele. One might assume that marital counseling was pursued before the decision to divorce, so Tom knew where the line in the sand was before he unretired.

17. nyctraffic says:
    November 11, 2022 at 7:01 pm

———-

Except to the people that matter.

18. pg33 says:
    November 11, 2022 at 7:02 pm
    ———-
    ———
    Apparently you know the whole family personally.

19. There’s never been a professional athlete as great of a player and role model who elicted as much jealousy and hatred as a result of his greatness, on and off the field. Tom Brady is a great social experiment in the average American’s ugliness and personal insecurities because of how good of a guy he is and his humble underdog beginnings. He holds up a mirror to the average American’s shortcomings every day, and they don’t like what they see. And so they lash out at him, an they project instead of go to therapy.

20. You get one life folks, and it doesn’t last long. Give him his due. You don’t know what the backstory is with him and the super self important supermodel. I’m not a Patriots or Buc fan, and nowhere near to being a Brady fan. But all the judgment on him…let it go. His life…let him live it already

21. knowyourenemy50 says:
    November 11, 2022 at 8:29 pm
    ================

What an embarrassing fan boy post.

Kids from two women and he’s with neither.

Caught cheating multiple times.

Whines like a 5 year old.

And now is a middling QB.

22. eaglesfan22 says:
    November 11, 2022 at 6:36 pm
    He’s either lying through his teeth or a total narcissist. How can he have no regrets despite the incredible amount of turmoil it caused his family?,easy answer both

23. Brady has stayed at the party to long he many chances to walk off on top hes ego would’nt allow it .

24. It’s perfectly reasonable to read this as:

1) Tom & Giselle agreed to part, forming a plan for their kids

2) None of that was anybody’s business so it was all kept out of the press

3) Tom takes stock of his professional options and decides to try sticking to QB for now.

4) Tom reaches back to the Bucs and they discuss options and plan from there

Nothing sinister about any of that.

25. People still believe it was his un-retirement that caused his divorce? It was Gisele that caused it.

26. When two egomaniacs marry there is no ying or yang. There is only aggression, dominance and conquest.

My question for both of them is how much more success do you need in life? They’ve both won life’s lottery many times over. So now in order to not be deemed the weak party they sacrifice their idyllic life and family stability…

Their kids will turn out like messed up Hollywood kids because both parents have such Titanic egos. On that score they are losers who had everything but squandered it all away.

27. Very good quarterback, probably a decent father .. husband not so much. Had all the money in the world, won many superbowls, just couldn’t give up the glory for his wife. His choice but to each their own.

28. As if he would ever say “I regret it. Bad decision. Wish I weren’t playing”. C’mon bud.

29. I am thinking all the other players who got a divorce from their wives because they wanted to keep playing the game they love and die for. Oh yes that is ZERO. Well all the Queen Giselle defenders will have to mull that one over for a while. Getting divorced because your husband is doing his job(for 6 months and then 6 months on vacation to boot) is an odd one to me instead of something like adultery, domestic violence or losing all their money gambling.

30. minime says:

November 11, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Just your marriage dissolving

———
    When ultimatums are given it was already past the point of no return, if it wasnt coming back to football it would be something else in the future. Now if you want to say that if Brady retired 5 years ago his marriage would still be intact then that’s a possibility but the likelihood his marriage would be intact 5 yrs down the road if he didnt come back this yr is very slim. Again it was the final straw which meant stuff built up and it wouldve happened over something else likely

31. I’m shocked at how quickly that divorce was finalized, to be honest. It leads me to think it was going down regardless. Tommy Boy will bounce back with Taylor Swift, and Gisele will find some older guy billionaire. Who cares? and none of my business. Blessings to both. All that being said, TB12 retired, then unretired, then said he doesn’t regret it. I call BS.

32. pg33 says:
    November 11, 2022 at 7:02 pm
    ______________

This is what selfish adults always say. “I’ll break up my family because I found someone who excites me more. But don’t worry, my children will be fine, they’ll adjust easily, they will never notice anything”.

That is what selfish, self-absorbed say to justify the damage that you and I both know happens to every child who is impacted by their parents who are solely concerned about themselves.

33. Apparently, he prefers showering with a roomful of men rather than sleeping with a supermodel.
    Like we didn’t see that coming.

34. Methinks the marriage was doomed long before he chose to unretire. He just realized that retiring wouldn’t fix it, and went back to doing something he loves. If I’m right, then there’s no reason for regret. Things were going south either way.

35. The man has been talked about for over 20yrs, he’s won 7 SBs, hes on commercials, magazine ads, blah blah blah, he hosts a horrible podcast where we have to listen to layup questions from Jim Gray, and wasting the talent of a supremely intelligent and accomplished Larry Fitzgerald. AND….we will have to listen to TB on FOX for at least a few years and he will be getting paid millions of dollars….can we just all agree that we just want Tom to go away and retire? The majority of NFL fans have been and are still sick of talking about this dude. I dont care about his marriage situation, I care that i have to talk about his baaaaddd team and his baaaaddd division. Make it stop, please football gods, make it stop.

36. imsomeguy says:
    November 11, 2022 at 6:41 pm
    I hope he doesn’t make the playoffs

———-

I suspect you have said the same thing every season for the past 20 years

37. “I think when I commit to it, I mean it and I do my best and try to give everything I can to this particular opportunity.”
    Except he did give everything to it. I think that is part of his problem this year, and it is affecting the Bucs overall.

38. mickeyspillane says:
    November 12, 2022 at 10:32 am
    ___________

What in the world does Brady have to do with Larry Fitzgerald?? The two have never been teammates.

39. Every week some combination of Evans, Godwin, Brate, Gage are on the injury report, inches away from being out. Thats because they are beat up and old, in NFL years. Brady is old, slow and today couldn’t elude Michael Strahan if he happened to show up in pads this Sunday.
    It’s kinda sad watching this team and Im sure Bucs fans have had enough of his turtling at the 1st sign of more than one opposing jersey getting within 3 yards of him. It was old 4 years ago in New England. It’s time Tommy, your NFL race is run. Stop embarrassing yourself out there. Every game on film now just erodes your legacy

40. For the first eight games, Brady labored with the burden of an impending, and huge, personal trauma. His play was un-Bradylike. But now he’s emerged from that trauma. His personal life is clearer now. Things have been explained to the children. Everything’s going to be OK. You can see it in his face at his pressers. The tightness, the stress, is gone. Now, more relaxed, his play will improve and the Buccaneers will play to expectations. And they will be dangerous in the playoffs.

41. Like someone pointed out above, to hear him say it, he’s never made a bad decision in his life. Thats the outward public messaging and because of that, he comes off like a complete and utter liar, 98% of the time.

42. His answer was gracious and superficial because the real answer was NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!!

43. Why would he regret it? It’s not like the team is going nowhere and he destroyed his family.

44. A commenter advised Brady to “stop embarrassing yourself.” Let’s see, Brady is first in the league in completions, second in yards, has a 10:1 TD/interception ratio and has not thrown an interception in his last 373 attempts. If he does not throw an interception in his next 29 attempts, he will hold still another record. I bet he’s really embarrassed.

45. Brady’s QBR is 13th.

Those higher include Andy Dalton and Jared Goff.

His TD passes are tied for 17th. Some who have thrown more include Kyler Murray, Jared Goff and even Rogers in his worst year ever.

His YPA are at 6.4 yards. You know who’s higher? Mac Jones.

Completion percentage is 13th. Kenny Picket is higher as is Matt Ryan.

Turn out the lights, the party’s over.

46. Nice stats. Meaningless. How many reasonable people would say ADalton, JGoff, KPickett M.Ryan are better than Brady. Even Rodgers and Murray, 2 hot messes, are arguable. Stats are for losers. There’s a lot more to the picture.

47. she was gonna dump him erither way so he may as well keep playing.
    once they get that puss face on things can become very stinky in the relationship. Barely ever turning for the better.