“Not enough consistency” on offense for Patriots Sunday

New York Jets v New England Patriots
Getty Images

The Patriots got a win over the Jets on Sunday when Marcus Jones returned a punt for a touchdown in the final seconds, so they were able to celebrate at the end of a long day for the offense.

New England outgained the Jets 297-103, but the score was tied 3-3 before Jones’ big play because they continually failed to make the plays they had to have over the course of the game. They punted seven times, gave up six sacks and failed to convert 11 of their 15 third down opportunities over the course of the game.

After the game was over, head coach Bill Belichick said the unit has to be crisper.

“Yeah, we’ll take a look at the film here and see, but we moved the ball,” Belichick said. “We had some good plays but not enough and not enough consistency, and we weren’t able to get the ball in the end zone or get the ball close enough often enough for what our opportunities were. Had too many negative plays, holding penalties, sacks, and that was a combination of things. We’ve got to do a better job.”

The Patriots won’t have to wait long for another chance to get on the field. They’ll be in Minnesota on Thursday night and they’ll be facing a defense that just got ripped apart by the Cowboys, so that may turn out to be just what the doctor ordered.

29 responses to ““Not enough consistency” on offense for Patriots Sunday

1. They should be worried if the only way they score is via punt return when playing the Bills. The Bills still haven’t punted.

2. It’s safe to say that the Patricia-Judge experiment has been an abject failure, and that’s on the Head Coach.

3. they’ll be facing a defense that just got ripped apart by the Cowboys, so that may turn out to be just what the doctor ordered.

I’m not sure the Patriots are ripping apart any defense until the OL is stable. Andrews is a massive loss. Jones can’t be standing back there like a statue taking sacks he needs to get the ball out quick.

4. In the first quarter they lost arguably the hardest player on their roster to replace in Center David Andrews. So to criticize their offense while the team suffered this loss is foolhardy.
    His longtime loss may remove any real chance the Patriots have of building a serious contender for this season’s playoffs.

5. I was curious to see whether the offense would look different after the bye week. There definitely were some differences, like that formation with the two tight ends and a running back in the backfield, which improved the running game and opened up play action a bit. But whoever’s good idea that was, it doesn’t outweigh the continued porous o-line or, especially, Matt Patricia’s terrible play calls. Trying that outside zone run garbage on fourth and three was such an obvious loser we were screaming at the TV while they were still in formation. And what kind of rocket scientists does a QB sneak with two yards to go? And then with one yard to go (as you’d expect after a QB sneak), another doomed-from-the-start run?

Mac Jones actually looked a bit better. He was accurate and made good decisions, except for his continued refusal to throw the ball away. I’d like to see how he would perform if the o-line was better and there were coaches who knew how to craft an offense.

6. When Darth Hoodie insists on using those two clowns Patricia & Judge as Offensive Co-ordinators what do you expect? And not saying Mac Jones is a franchise QB but has suffered because of it – he’s worse off now than he was this time last season.

7. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    November 21, 2022 at 8:55 am
    Interesting no one is willing to put the blame on Jones including Jones.
    ——————————————————————————-
    Well perhaps you’re being biased and not looking at yesterday’s performance objectively, assuming you watched the game.
    Check Mac Jones’ QB numbers yesterday, they weren’t bad and professional commentators including former QB Scott Zolak pointed that out. And despite an OL that kept collapsing on him from the moment Andrews left the game with an injury in the 1st Q Jones managed to keep his composure and function in spite of 6 sacks. It seemed that every time NE got to between the Jets 20 and 40 the OL gave up a sack. No team or QB can come out of that unscathed.

8. I’ve watched every single Patriots game since 1976 either at the stadium or on TV – that is by far the worst offensive line I have ever seen them put on the field. yes, the Jets have a good front but the Patriots OL performance was absolutely putrid

9. The Bills get 317 yards against the Jets and lose and “they have a tough D!”
    New England gets 300 yards in tough conditions, and “their offense sucks”.
    The Jets got 310 yards against the Bills, a paltry 103 against the Pats.
    New England haters need to get a little more consistent.

10. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    November 21, 2022 at 8:55 am
    Interesting no one is willing to put the blame on Jones including Jones.

613Rate This
    —————————————————————————–
    Did you watch the game? Mac had zero time to throw. The O-Line is abysmal.

11. Jones was 23 of 27. Took 6 sacks, of which at least 4 were on the Oline. Not sure “blame” falls on Jones at all.

12. Jones looks as lost on the field as BOTH Patricia & Judge do at calling/coaching the offensive skill positions for any & all players out there…….
    THAT is 100% on Bill!!!
    When the Pats have to play a potent offense they will get blown out & off the field, of that, there is no doubt!!!

13. 1dayatatime says:
    November 21, 2022 at 9:20 am
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    That’s funny. What team in the NFL doesn’t have injuries this time of the year. The Bills have been playing without 3 All Pro defensive backs replacing them with rookies. Waa.

14. The league is moving toward mobile QBs. The two best QBs in the league right now are Mahomes and Allen, and both have won games with their legs this year. Pocket passers who can’t move just are limited in today’s league with how defenses are playing them. The QB has to be a threat to run, not just move around the pocket in today’s league. I think that more than anything is responsible for guys who have been great in the past having such mediocre years, not their age because it’s also happening to the younger pocket passers. As soon as the Bears started running their QB, their offense exploded. Keep that in mind in next year’s draft because I think Belichick is going to make a move.

15. Both defenses played well. Neither offense played well. I’m not a huge punting fan, so I was bored.

But, as a Dolphin fan, I liked watching the ineptitude. Throughout the game I kept catching myself saying ‘Tua would have made that throw.’ I’m looking forward to all of the division games that close out the season – looks like it will be fun football.

16. steppinginpilesofrexryan says:
    November 21, 2022 at 9:38 am

—-
    I expect that mistake will be corrected this offseason. Either by Bill’s choice or by Kraft’s orders.

17. oline is clearly the biggest problem, which is the fault of? that’s right, patricia, which means not only is he a horrible play caller/designer, but he has failed to get his line to improve over the course of how many games now? Kraft is giving too much lee way to BB- his choices have not put the teams best interests first as he always says. The D does look good, but will it hold up? they looked good last year too and then crumpled instead of stepping up…we shall see

18. 6ringsnewengland says:
    November 21, 2022 at 9:46 am
    =======================
    Ditto! I suffered through better OL performance during the McPherson era than most of what I saw yesterday. I’ve been saying since week 2 how bad the OL has been performing. I’m fine with implementing a new blocking scheme. I’m not ok with not having the right talent in place to do that (especially if the feeble talent going in every week aren’t buying in). I honestly cannot believe Cajuste is still on this roster. Wynn is a better option at RT despite all his penalties. TBrown is not exempt either. If it wasn’t for his slightly better than average run blocking he should be looking for another job as well. Yesterday was only the second time this year I seriously had a WTF moment with play calling. For the most part I’m less down on the play calling and QB play than what the media is portraying in the NE area. What is concerning me the most is the long term implication of poor (to say the least) OL play and inexperienced play calling.

I’m grateful the Pats are making a good show of things this far into the season. I think the last 6 games are going to show what they really are. I suspect it’s pretender more than contender. Hopefully when Buffalo blows them out of the water the second time they’ll get some of the rookie OL some playing time so Jones has a remote chance of surviving next year.

19. karmakalled says:
    November 21, 2022 at 10:41 am
    6ringsnewengland says:
    November 21, 2022 at 9:46 am
    =======================

I agree Wynn is better than Cajuste. That’s….remarkable. Would be nice to have better C depth than Ferentz. Strange has had his rookie struggles without Andrews with him.

20. wmnf says:
    November 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
    But for an uncalled (and unnecessary) NE block in the back, the ineptitude was likely to continue.

———————

Umm, it wasn’t a block in the back. He hit him in the shoulder. Learn the rules. Your jealousy remains absolutely delicious.

21. Four Quarters, 3-points. All while you Defense is pitching an almost-shutout. Yeah, you could say that consistency on the Pats O is an issue.

22. Actually, the Pat’s offense was very consistent against the Jets. Consistently ineffective.