NFL: NOV 24 Patriots at Vikings
Getty Images

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell says his team bounced back quickly from its lowest moment.

On Sunday, the Vikings got blown out at home, 40-3 by the Cowboys. But they shook it off quickly to beat the Patriots on Thursday night, and O’Connell was proud of that.

“Four days after being here with a pretty dejected feeling, asking our team to respond and our coaches to respond, and show up tonight on a mission to try to play really good football team and try to get a win, I could not be more proud of my football team and staff,” O’Connell said.

O’Connell said he knew the day after the Cowboys loss that the way his team responded would go a long way toward defining what kind of season they’re going to have.

“You could feel it Monday,” O’Connell said. “We really needed to challenge ourselves to emotionally and physically play with unbelievable enthusiasm.”

O’Connell thinks he has the kind of team that will step up when the chips are down.

“My goal here is just to have our organization ready to put it all together,” O’Connell said. “Even when people don’t give us a chance or adversity hits, that’s when I believe the best parts of our team come out, and I think that will continue to serve us well with our football team this year.”

33 responses to “Kevin O’Connell: Vikings were dejected after loss, I’m proud of how we responded

1. “We thought the best way to respond to that loss in the Dallas was reaching out to the officiating crew for the Patriots game and make sure we didn’t leave anything up to chance.”

2. Remember earlier this year when a win over the Patriots was not considered any great accomplishment? Good times.

3. I like a team that can bounce back from an embarrassing loss with a victory on a short week in prime time.

I like that better than a team that squeaks out an extremely unexpected win after a 5 game losing streak and then reverts back to their normal losing ways on a short week in prime time.

4. 9-2 is 9-2 but that defense needs to be better. Will be lucky to win a game in January if it doesn’t improve

5. That was a Goodell Special. Wow.

Congrats for being NEs opponent this week, Minnesota. The cheating by Goodell was so blatant. The beauty of it is the haters can’t even see how bad it is as they’re blinded by Goodell granting their wishes.

14 point swing on a blatant hold by Ham on Dugger and the Henry TD that somehow was then ruled an incompletion, outright when short of the line by an inch was clearly the correct call.

6. I felt so dejected and hurt after that loss to the Cowboys I wanted to boycott my Vikings, good teams lose some during the season but good teams don’t get slaughtered and at home. I was hoping the Vikings would respond well by being competitive but they did me one better by beating a really good team and a Bill Belichek coached team at that.

7. The Vikings are still total frauds. They barely beat the Patriots. They will get wrecked in the Playoffs and the Cowboys showed them a preview of their future demise.

8. P.S. I am not a fair weather fan, showing my age I’ve been here from day one and yes I love my Vikings!

9. I’ll give them this they figured out in four days how to shore up the o line. Cousins had time to throw, the key to there success.Dallas was on him every play, not so with NE.

10. Just a few takeaways from a fan since ‘65:

Jefferson is phenomenal
    We won’t go far in the playoffs with this current pass defense
    Cousins needs to get rid of the happy feet

SKOL

11. The Vikings are running out of time to “fix” the defense. If they don’t relieve Ed Donatell of his duties soon, they have no chance in the playoffs.

12. I agree with so many that KOC is a refreshing change from Zimmer but I feel like our team has split personalities… On offense we are way more aggressive in the past, we mix up and are not nearly as predictable as in the past. We play to win! However, on defense we seem to be the most conservative defense in the league. It’s like the defense plays not to lose; almost in a prevent defense the whole game… This has to change soft coverage allows ANY and all NFL Quarterbacks to walk down the field on us… Skol

13. purplebleeder says:
    November 25, 2022 at 9:35 am
    Just a few takeaways from a fan since ‘65:

Jefferson is phenomenal
    We won’t go far in the playoffs with this current pass defense
    Cousins needs to get rid of the happy feet
    /////
    30-37, 299 yards, 3 TDs, the second highest completion percentage against a Billechick team in 2 1/2 decades, and the most 4th quarter comeback wins in the nfl this season. But you still managed to complain about Cousins. Interesting.

14. touchback6 says:
    November 25, 2022 at 8:40 am
    That was a Goodell Special. Wow.
    ////
    Then why watch the nfl? If anybody believes there’s some grand conspiracy against their team, you should just go away.

15. Football says:
    November 25, 2022 at 6:34 am
    ////
    Never apologize for winning.

16. I have to admit, this was pretty impressive. A Zimmer coached team would have folded faster than Superman on laundry day. Hats off to O’Connell and the team.

17. Patriot fans whining about being cheated is one of the most priceless things I’ve ever seen.

18. Football says:
    November 25, 2022 at 6:34 am
    ———————————————
    Please also let us know when it was this year when the Pats didn’t have a top 5 defense.

19. Absolute heart of a champion!!! Any other team, coming off a loss like last week’s, then having to face a team as imposing as NE, would have folded and called it a year, but not this team!! This team is too proud, too gritty, too talented!! The team of Destiny!! Odds-on favorites to win it all!! SSSSKKKOOOOOLLLLL!!!!

20. KnowsMoreThanYou says:
    November 25, 2022 at 10:21 am
    touchback6 says:
    November 25, 2022 at 8:40 am
    That was a Goodell Special. Wow.
    ////

6511Rate This

————————

Been watching the NFL for 40 years and neither commissioner prior to Goodell had this level of affect week to week on controversial or constant missed calls favoring one team over another.

That’s a fact based on someones age and knowing what happened in many football games over the past 40 years.

I watch because my team can still win even after being cheated. They’ve done it many times before and almost pulled it off last night.

21. touchback6 says:
    November 25, 2022 at 8:40 am
    That was a Goodell Special. Wow.

—————————-

Losing the game was not embarrassing, but this is.

Good win Vikings fans. It was a good game and Jefferson is a beast.

22. Good bounce back but their defense is giving up an automatic 400 yards in the air and can’t stop the run. They basically have to hope they tighten up inside the 10.

23. iliketurtles says:
    November 25, 2022 at 3:28 pm

////////////////////

9-2 go play with your turtles kid.

24. Could this be our Vikings’ first playoff appearance in three years??!! Wow!! We’re awesome!

25. Best Vikings Head Coach since Bud Grant. He will get us a super bowl win in his tenure, but the D needs to step up

26. Hopefully, coach O’Vay will bring us as many super bowl wins as coach Grant did. Go purple helmets!