Bears elevate Nathan Peterman to active roster with Justin Fields questionable

NFL: JUL 27 Chicago Bears Training Camp
Getty Images

We don’t yet know whether Bears quarterback Justin Fields will play on Sunday against the Jets, but the Bears are at least concerned enough about Fields’ health that they’re adding a third quarterback to the active roster.

Nathan Peterman has been elevated from the practice squad to the active roster, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Fields won’t play tomorrow against the Jets, but it does indicate the Bears think it’s a possibility. Officially, Fields is questionable with a left shoulder injury that he suffered in last week’s loss to the Falcons.

Trevor Siemian will start if Fields doesn’t play, and Peterman would be Siemian’s backup.

33 responses to “Bears elevate Nathan Peterman to active roster with Justin Fields questionable

1. First time I saw Trevor Siemian I thought he was a dentist. I’d rather have Trevor clean my teeth than quarterback my football team.

2. Kaep fans need to accept the fact he hasn’t played in 6 years and he never
    will again.
    He had a try out with the Raiders they didn’t sign him and no other team was even interested, what else do you need to know?

3. It’s really bad when those are your two options…Maybe Cutler, Grossman or Orton could come out of retirement, they’re all still younger than Brady.

4. Danielle K says:
    November 26, 2022 at 2:01 pm
    Now I understand what Colin Kaepernick was saying

1134Rate This
    —————
    The self-endorsing look at me stuff while working to undermine the NFL’s popularity? How does that bear on a bad QB who is not at war with the NFL? He’s a 5th round pick playing 3rd QB. It has nothing to do with protesting against Thanksgiving.

5. Danielle K says:
    November 26, 2022 at 2:01 pm
    Now I understand what Colin Kaepernick was saying
    ————————-
    And did he ever humble himself to go to a practice squad? Nope.

6. I am amazed at how many here think Peterman is a good quarterback. Complete shock. Are they his personal friends & family? It is as if most here commenting and reacting to this post has never seen him play. It is a phenomenon.

7. tingelhoff53 says:
    November 26, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Danielle K
    Peterman > Kaperjerk
    ——

Yeah no, not even close. Rex Grossman & Jake Plummer can plummer can unretire and out perform Peterman. He has a job because he’s a cheap camp arm and that’s it

8. Fields should not play. The kid risks permanent damage and the end of his career. There is really no reason to play him. The Bears should shut him down on-field until the start of their off-season program.

9. Who cares about Peterson. Practice arm and nothing more. Good for him to still be getting a check. Fields won’t play so R-E-L-A-X.

Oh snap, did I just say that?

Go Bears!

10. Good for you Peterman. I thought this guy was working construction somewhere for the last few years. I love these guys that can have a long career when everyone thought you were out of the league for five years. Good on you collecting a good paycheque while keeping the same jersey unwashed for your career. Good gig if you can score it.

11. The Bears clearly need to rest Fields. This may show the new regime in Chicago the back up quarterbacks on the roster may have to be upgraded.

12. george1859 says:
    November 26, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Peterman > Jones

————-

What do you have against Daniel Jones?

13. The Bears might as well put me in. I could perform about as well as Peterman, for a fraction of the price.

14. How crucial is it that the Bears push starting him asap and risk further and long term injury to him? It’s time teams got smart and not go the route of what Washington stupidly did to RG 3.

15. TheTruth says:
    November 26, 2022 at 3:23 pm
    Danielle K says:
    November 26, 2022 at 2:01 pm
    Now I understand what Colin Kaepernick was saying
    ————————-
    And did he ever humble himself to go to a practice squad? Nope.
    __________________________________________

Pretty sure Kaepernick can’t sign himself to a practice squad. A team has to offer and none of them did because they don’t want to draw the ire of the orange man’s mob. It has nothing to do with football or humbling oneself.