NFL: NOV 27 Ravens at Jaguars
Getty Images

After Sunday’s loss to the Jaguars, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson reacted to a moderately critical tweet with an over-the-top, vulgar response. Several hours later, Jackson deleted it.

Jamison Hensley, who covers the Ravens for ESPN.com, wrote a story about the tweet, noting that it included an “anti-gay phrase.”

Jackson sent this message to Hensley on Twitter. Here’s the exact quote: “This is Defamation of my character, Because not once have I ever mentioned or disrespect anyone’s Sexuality, sexual orientation, gender, Religion or Race. Your reaching.”

Coach John Harbaugh is due to meet with reporters later today. He surely will be asked about the situation.

At a time when many invoke “free speech” as the justification for saying whatever they feel like saying without anyone daring to say, “you know, maybe you shouldn’t have said that,” it’s important to remember that the term means only that there can be no governmental consequences, criminal or civil, for most forms of speaking.

But there can be other consequences, including but not limited to others using their own “free speech” rights to criticize things said by others.

95 responses to “Lamar Jackson deletes vulgar tweet, lashes out at reporter’s characterization of it

1. Good thing for all the screenshots proving he posted that disgusting bilge.

Deleting the tweet changes nothing. Lamar Jackson is an uneducated, primitive, foul-mouthed man-child who happens to be good at running back and forth with an inflated pig skin under his arm.

2. I know lots of fans overlook things but this is disgusting. A reasonable comment that the team would be better if the money for Jackson were spread across the team by a random fan leads to Jackson insulting him with personal attacks and then he complains about being called out for his gross comments. It’s not at a deshaun watson level yet but how can anyone support someone that acts like this towards fans? (And yes, assuming someone’s preferences because you don’t like them is discriminatory)

3. Jackson is a decent player but his lack of normal contract negotiations and inconsistent play this year is pretty much cementing the reality that the Ravens will tag him twice and then let him walk. Still too many question marks after 4.5+ seasons.

4. OK, dude is 25 and should not be tweeting out things that should be left to video game chats. I mean it was funny, but not a smart thing to do.

5. Satan says:
    November 28, 2022 at 1:40 pm
    Good thing for all the screenshots proving he posted that disgusting bilge.

53Rate This

———————–

Yep. And some are on here proclaiming “yes, but has an MVP”. He’s a loser with a Wonderlic of 13 who can’t read a defense without some gimmick RPO tied to it.

He should actually be suspended but Goodell will do nothing with this since he plays golf with Bisciotti at Augusta National on the regular.

6. Pitchforks! We have moved on from Todd Downing to Lamar! I can get behind this one. Is Baltimore really going to give Lamar a Russell or Deshaun contract? Face of the franchise? I would tag him and trade him, spend that money on other players and roll with Huntley.

7. I hope that Lamar can find some comfort in this. It helps me get through those posts of mine that get an inexplicable number of downvotes. ——- “There will always be someone willing to hurt you, put you down, gossip about you, belittle your accomplishments and judge your soul. It is a fact that we all must face. However, if you realize that God is a best friend that stands beside you when others cast stones you will never be afraid, never feel worthless and never feel alone.”
    ― Shannon Alder

8. My 2 cents. It was rude and crude, but a suspension? Heck no. Not even close in my opinion.

9. Man, You just can’t do this. It’s not easy, but You just have to ignore what the reporter tweeted after the game and move on. You’re about the get paid, don;t give teams a reason not to.

10. What was the anti gay phrase? I hate it when we are told we are supposed to be outraged at someone for saying something, but they wont tell us what the something was, just that it was really bad and we should be outraged.

11. So what if Lamar has his own opinions? I believe their are many, many more but they won’t speak up for fear of retaliation. In fact, I know it, and you do too.

12. The Ravens would be fools to give this guy a big time contract. He doesn’t have what it takes to be championship QB.

13. Hes privileged and will play the card to get out of any punishment. He is probably on the phone with Stephen A Smith at this very moment getting advice on how to further use the card.

14. “Lamar Jackson is an uneducated, primitive, foul-mouthed man-child” Agreed.

Jackson cannot refer to a sexual activity in such a derogatory manner and not be disrespecting someone’s sexual orientation. I suppose he is just too dense to understand.

15. Man, You just can’t do this. It’s not easy, but You just have to ignore what the reporter tweeted after the game and move on. You’re about the get paid, don;t give teams a reason not to.
    ——————————————————————————————
    Deshaun Watson got paid. I think he’ll be OK.

16. I’ve been saying it for years. Great talent, good dude, but lacks maturity. Pouts, throws tantrums, etc.

I heard similar phrases in my old high school locker room.

Shouldn’t come from a 25 year old man, and I’m a Ravens fan and Lamar Jackson fan.

17. Why have we become so soft as a nation that what he said can’t be repeated here? We’re all adults and I’d like to know what he actually said

18. So what if Lamar has his own opinions? I believe their are many, many more but they won’t speak up for fear of retaliation. In fact, I know it, and you do too.

Sure. But most of us aren’t public figures that express their opinions on a worldwide platform that are trying to get a massive contract. No one really cares what he thinks, until he forces us to, but there comes a point in the maturation process where you stop and think for 5 seconds before you do something stupid. That’s the issue.

19. patsfan4lifedynasty says:
    November 28, 2022 at 1:51 pm
    Don’t let Twitter trolls mess up your money Lamar. Just ignore them.
    ======================

He’s doing a good enough job of that all on his own with his play this season, that Break the Bank payday is GONE!

20. Why can’t these guys stay off social media. I mean their agent should recommend hiring a PR guy to run their twitter/instagram and just let it be. Should grown men get into such an ugly spat with people on the internet (or offline). Fighting with people online is like knowingly stepping into dog poop instead of avoiding it.

21. Funny how nite2al isn’t in here defending poor,over-criticized Lamar. Also amusing how he believes deleting the Tweet can cover his arse. I guess “the jokes on us” huh? Does that ” crack you up”? Can’t wait to hear Lamars hilarious punkuation when he actually agrees to speak to reporters.

22. cjlang60 says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:10 pm
    ——————————————————————————————
    Deshaun Watson got paid. I think he’ll be OK.
    ========================

But there is only one Browns team and they already have a QB!I don’t think another team out there is willing to give a break the bank contract to an average QB.

23. Lamar is a great football player, but he should really stay off of Twitter. What he posted is unacceptable, and it shows that he has a lot of growing up to do. Deleting it now makes no sense, since everyone has already seen it or knows about it.

24. Consequences for said words apply. When people did this to Kaepernick for disrespecting the flag and Country the media changed what he said to “he meant to say” Quoting Kap

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

25. Can someone please give me an idea of what “the phrase” was so I can make an educated decision on this.

26. The guy was not even a reporter, just some rando with like 200 +/- Twitter followers. And what he (the rando) said wasn’t all that harsh!

27. He knew that wasnt good fighting with a fan on twitter.
    Regardless of what he said.
    He will still get paid, but that little tantrum is gonna cost him millions of dollars. And a guarantee.

28. People are so sensitive now days. It was a crude, classless and immature tweet but anti-gay is a stretch. Just another woke media member trying to talk themselves into being offended.

29. To paraphrase an old saying, it’s better to say nothing and have people wonder if you’re a classless individual, than to spout off and confirm your classlessness.

30. Huge guaranteed or mostly guaranteed contracts are a mistake. Ask the Broncos. Ask the Cardinals. In the near future you can also ask the Browns. Besides, Ravens back-up, Tyler Huntley is actually a better quarterback than Jackson anyway. Ravens should let Jackson walk.

31. After insulting this random fan in multiple ways in the tweet reply, Lamar closed with saying that the fan–switch the initial letters–“ducks sick.” I don’t think it’s unfair to describe this as an “anti-gay phrase,” considering the context, and it sure as heck isn’t defamatory.

I don’t at all consider this a suspension-worthy action, but I hope that the Ravens will sit Lamar down and let him know just how stupid and unnecessary this all was.

32. LaMar is an embarrassment to the shield and the sport!
    He is NOT even worthy of the contract he has now…

33. The sooner the Ravens part ways with Lamar Jackson they sooner they’ll begin to improve. He should have taken the Ravens best offer earlier this year. I doubt the Ravens tag Jackson. They let Ray Lewis test the market, I’d let Jackson do the same thing but I’d never look to sign him back. He’s a tremendous talent that puts up tremendous statistics. Unfortunately, the team and the fans want championships not statistics. Has Jackson ever delivered a championship on any level?

34. double-standard in the NFL…
    If a ‘common type’ HC had tweeted this(or found in their personal e-mail), he would be ran out of the NFL!….

Poor Chucky!

35. Jackson can be a very good regular season player. He isn’t on the level of Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen. He has played average to poorly in the playoffs. I can understand a team giving Jackson a big contract but I wouldn’t. Better to sign an average to good QB like Jacoby Brissett for 80% less and spend savings on other positions. It’s not just playing ability alone. Mahomes and Allen aren’t distractions, they don’t do dumb things like get in Twitter fights with random people they don’t even know. Jacoby Brissett doesn’t have the exceptional ability that Jackson often flashes, but Brissett acts like a responsible adult and doesn’t make himself a distraction.

36. Not surprised at his reaction. Everything he does is over the top, over react, over throw wide open receivers. Very on brand

37. Social media can trigger folks. I understand Jackson’s frustrations but to take it out on someone who posted their opinion without any vulgar language,.. it’s not a good look. I’m sure the NFL or Ravens will handle it internally. A public apology from Lamar is warranted.

38. If a guy isn’t Mahomes or Rodgers from 10 years ago he isn’t worth 40 million plus. Russ, Dak, present day Rodgers, none of them worth close to 40.

39. When you have worked hard your whole life trying to make the NFL and have arrived at the top of the mountain and you make a salary, that even without the new contract, is equivalent to 100 years of a typical corporate VP… And your next best alternative to playing in the NFL is the XFL or CFL, which pay basically nothing… then you might not want to get caught up in arguments with the fans that hand over their hard earned money to make sure you keep getting paid. Fans are the customers… they have the right to critique the product they continue to buy. It’s not personal.

Engaging with fans in that way has no value to Lamar. Fans know very well they can’t do what he does.

40. grant35 says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:22 pm

____________________________________________________________

Not the choice of words I would use, but I have no problem with it. Like none of you have ever heard grown men talk like that before?? You’ve never heard me say Lamar is a great QB. All I ever say is he gets his unfair share of criticism, which is fact. All you have to do is look at the thread of a losing team and see what is said about the QB and then do the same for Ravens. I really don’t care whether he has poor English or not. Can he get the ball in the end zone? That’s all that matters to me. If I want to see choir boys, I will go to church. Lamar has proven his immaturity on many occasions and he is definitely not an English major, so what’s all the hoopla about?

41. Ravens would have gotten ripped off with that contract they offered him. walk away and start again new. Jackson, Russ Wilson, and Kyler Murray all should prove to GM’s that these new age qb’s aint worth it.

42. When someone is asking for a guaranteed $250M , he ought to know better than making this kind of tweet. Also, the reporter should be fired. It was not anti-gay. It was what guys say to each other when they’re pissed off. So tired of all the woke, broke mentality of the media.

43. The perils of social media strike again. Mayfield, Claypool, Trump, Lamar. All seemingly talented, yet incredibly dumb.

44. I bet Jackson has said multiple times “I don’t read social media” or “I don’t hear what they say about me online” Anytime an athlete says this, it’s complete BS. They read EVERYTHING about them and are ultra sensitive.

45. Yes Lamar shouldn’t have responded to that fan and certainly should not have responded in that way. But lets be honest, have you ever listened to Lamar speak? It’s obvious he isn’t the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

46. He mad cause Hurts, Jacobs, and Sanders ran more yesterday than hes been able to run in weeks…….

47. He said it so even after deleting he still said it – unlike Watson who actually DID something and who most called lewd & perverted for doing it and never acknowledged any remorse for doing it, Lamar only got angry in the moment & said something bad and now some folks are pissed about it. However at the end of the day they were only WORDS said & not actions like with Watson. He’ll apologize & move on.

48. The media has one job – to create as much controversy and chaos as possible. Don’t give them an inch or they’ll hang you with it. They are not your friend, and cannot wait for you to make a mistake.

49. cjlang60 says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:10 pm

——————————————————————————————
    Deshaun Watson got paid. I think he’ll be OK.
    _________________________________________________

Absolutely! The best post today. All these people talking nonsense. Lamar sells tickets, national TV games, jerseys and hope. And one dirty tweet is going to make a GM think twice? NOT.

50. The media has one job – to create as much controversy and chaos as possible. Don’t give them an inch or they’ll hang you with it. They are not your friend, and cannot wait for you to make a mistake.

This is, of course, the stance of many people today. It’s entirely false.

51. seenfootball says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:55 pm

____________________________________________________

Who cares? It’s a team competition, not a QB competition and he won that one already. The Ravens can compete with these two teams any day of the week. Beat the Chiefs last year and lost a close one to Buffalo this year. There are a zillion mini GMs on PFT and they are always wrong. Brissett, save money? Oh, geez.

52. While the phrase he used (about consuming a part of a man’s body) is certainly rooted in anti-gay culture, I very much doubt he meant it that way- and he probably truly doesn’t understand why it upset people other than the fact that it was unnecessarily aggressive and vulgar. I’m not going to say that players need to abstain from social media, but they really need to learn how not to use those platforms. If this isn’t already part of the Rookie Symposium training, it should be. Maybe this is another area where not having an agent can hurt you.

53. Don’t let Twitter trolls mess up your money Lamar. Just ignore them.

Don’t worry, his actions and play on the field is doing that just fine

54. LGB Community says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:00 pm
    While vulgar there is nothing “anti gay” about what lamar tweeted
    ____________________________________________________________________

The last part of Jackson’s vulgar Tweet, since the post that offended him was from a male.

55. dales says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:25 pm

cjlang60 says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:10 pm
    ——————————————————————————————
    Deshaun Watson got paid. I think he’ll be OK.
    ========================

___________________________________

How this post got all thumbs up is beyond me? Do you all know anything about the NFL? You honestly don’t think another team would pay big money for Jackson? Did you not see Cousins get paid big money TWICE by Minnesota with his sterling playoff record? I guess the hate is stronger than I thought for Lamar. That will be his leverage, if the Ravens won’t pay him, some other team will. You guys continue to crack me up.

56. iloveyouneighbor says:
    November 28, 2022 at 2:02 pm
    Looks like he took English at Trump University.
    ————————————————-
    Maybe he received three degrees and graduated at the top of his class just like Joe.

57. Have to laugh at all the vacuous twitter users and anyone else who claims there’s no reference to sexcual orientation when they conveniently overlook the part of the tweet that says ‘never done anything but.’ Yea, let’s just forget that part of it that suggests it’s a life trait and focus on the end of it.

58. Everybody has the right to say whatever they want.
    But everybody else has the right to hate their guts for what they said.
    Isn’t freedom wonderful?

59. Based on his tweets, I’m thinking Lamar spent less time in the classroom at Louisville than I previously thought. (And I previously thought he spent no time in the classroom.)

60. “At a time when many invoke “free speech” as the justification for saying whatever they feel like”
    Florio is such a lefty married to the Dem echo chamber media – this relates to Twitter and the only bleeps complaining are the ones who never complained about old Twitter squelching the right like calling Hunter’s laptop Russian propaganda.

61. The Lamar slide starts earlier and earlier with every passing year. This year, after having a couple of good games early on, after game 3 he’s been in a fast descent. In fact, for the last 5-6 weeks he’s probably been one of the worst QBs in the league, which is pretty much par for the course with Lamar. I don’t understand why the hype train is so high with him. Yes, we was an MVP… 4 years ago. The gimmick offense doesn’t work any more and you have a QB who can’t read defenses, can’t throw outside the numbers, makes the wrong reads, and misses open receivers on longer throws. The fact that he’s blowing up a bit isn’t a surprise; Ravens fans and the NFL put him on this silly pedestal he never belonged on, and now it’s painfully clear he’s a well below-average QB who can’t win in the playoffs. Tough place the Ravens find themselves in now.

62. He really should consider getting a agent.The agent can lead him to a PR person.The PR person can lead him to a savvy tech person to make him think before he hits ‘send’

63. Tough place? First place? 10 point lead in every game? Most teams would think that’s pretty sweet.

64. It’s year 5, and the 4th as the full time starter.

Is he better on the field now than he was 4 years ago?
    Is he more mature off the field now than he was 4 years ago?
    Is the trajectory of the franchise markedly improved since 4 years ago?

This team isn’t good enough with him on a rookie scale deal. Can they really expect to win a Super Bowl when he’s taking up 25% of the salary cap?

These are questions they can’t get wrong.

65. Don’t understand how a millionaire football player in 2022 can get bogged down interacting with a literal nobody (atleast compared to him) on Twitter…

66. “This is Defamation of my character, Because not once have I ever mentioned or disrespect anyone’s Sexuality, sexual orientation, gender, Religion or Race. Your reaching.” It sounds like Chad Steele wrote this on the plane on a beverage napkin for Lamar. Except of course for “your”. I am certain that was all Lamar.