Von Miller out for season with torn ACL

Green Bay Packers v Buffalo Bills
Getty Images

When Von Miller suffered a knee injury on Thanksgiving, his initial diagnosis was that his ACL was intact and he would be able to return at some point in the 2022 season.

Miller even said that he was targeting the Week 14 matchup against the Jets to get back on the field.

But then the Bills placed Miller on injured reserve. And now Miller is out for the season.

Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott announced in his Wednesday press conference that after undergoing an exploratory surgery, Miller was diagnosed with an ACL tear and is out for the season.

“Very unfortunate situation for Von, obviously, and our team,” McDermott said. “We care for him, obviously, like we would any player. We know how much this means to him in terms of playing and being with the team. So, we look forward to getting him back — obviously off the field — for the rest of this season. And his leadership. And we’re certainly thinking about him as he recovers here.”

McDermott noted that Miller did have his ACL repaired during the surgery, which was performed in Texas. McDermott did not offer many other details, citing his respect for Miller’s privacy.

In his first season with the Bills, Miller still leads the club with 8.0 sacks. He also had 10 tackles for loss and 12 QB hits.

Gregory Rousseau is second on the team with 5.0 sacks.

64 responses to “Von Miller out for season with torn ACL

1. Gypsy curse, Indian burial ground, take your pick. When Buffalo wins its first Super Bowl it’s going to be the hard way.

2. Some haters might say this is what happens when the Football Gods get mad for a player cherry picking elite teams, ring hunting. I’ll not go there but I assume the haters will.

3. Tough break for the Bills. Best wishes to him.

The video definitely looked like ACL damage with the way his knee moved I was shocked when that wasn’t the diagnosis at first.

4. So you’re telling me, that the actual injury to a 100 million dollar DE wasn’t determined until nearly 3 weeks after the injury? Anyone can go have an MRI, in the matter of hours, worst case a few days, and know their prognosis….

5. Pretty much par got the season so far. Deepest team in the league getting tested severely. Next man up! At least we’re getting healthy bodies back in other areas. Here come the trolls I’m sure. Too bad my team still > your team

6. I’ve already seen a bunch of Bills fans calling out the medical staff for not knowing this two weeks ago. Our Orthopedic Surgeon is Dr. Leslie Bison and he lead UBMD Orthopedic and sports medicine. He is a phenomenal doctor and has done an ACL and a Meniscus for me.

It’s called a Knee scope because you are going in to find what you can’t quite see with imagine. It was exploratory and they found more damage than they could see.

7. He had a good run and while his resurgence was unexpected I don’t know at his age if he’ll come back as a starter or at all.

8. Bad luck, but the Bills are like the Chiefs. As long as the Bills have Allen they’re in the picture. Similarly, as long as the Chiefs have Mahomes they’re in the picture.
    For that matter, as long as the Bengals have Burrow they’re in the picture.
    As long as the teams around them are at least mediocre, in any given game Allen, Mahomes and Burrow can carry their team to victory.

9. touchback6 says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:44 pm
    LOL!

————-

Haven’t needed Von Miller to own the Patriots since Tommy Boy left. Your uncomfortable obsession, Bill Belichick is NOTHING without him.

But the Bills will be fine without Miller. Something they’ve proven year after year. Unlike the guy whose tattoo you probably have in an unsavory spot.

10. cheekflamingoz says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:39 pm

—————————————————————————————

Well considering my team is the Eagles. I’d say you are incorrect good sir.

11. Obviously T6 hasn’t seen his own cap. No talent, last place roster, huge cap hits for 2 useless TE’s. Sure you have cap room but no talent. I’ll take the talent. Like I said we’re still the best team in the afc.

12. yeahbut says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:50 pm
    45M guaranteed to chronically injured player. Smart, Buffalo.

——————

They were warned. They just kept bragging about how unstoppable and deep they are. They don’t get it.

It’s literally the Jets of 2010 with a better QB (who still runs too much).

13. So you’re telling me, that the actual injury to a 100 million dollar DE wasn’t determined until nearly 3 weeks after the injury? Anyone can go have an MRI, in the matter of hours, worst case a few days, and know their prognosis….

– – – – – – – –

It depends on the location of the tear. I tore my ACL. It took exploratory surgery after 2 MRIs found nothing and my knee was still not stable. Mine was detached from the base of the knee and appeared intact in both MRIs.

14. I think its a shame! Buffalo has pulled out at least 3 games this season they should have lost! LOL

15. Feel bad for my Bills, worse for Von. HOWEVER, right up to the SB (if we make it that far) I Billieve Von’s presence and character in the locker room is HUGE. I think he is motivating & coaching up our younger Guys – and that impact is positively measurable.
    …Fingers crossed, and hope for no more injuries to ANY team looking forward to the postseason. God bless.

16. Can we all agree it takes a special kind of a-hole to “LOL” a player getting injured?

17. theoriginalsurferbob says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:33 pm
    ——————————————
    Cherry picking? He didn’t choose the Rams. He was traded to them. Then he became a free agent. Did he take a discount to play for the Bills? I think not.

18. Next man up. it’s not ideal, but the Bills are still an imposing group, as are their fans. Very few if any bellyachers, whiners, scumbags or schmucks. Unlike some.

19. I hope the Jets bring a very physical football game to Buffalo this weekend. This Buffalo team has yet to prove that it can win a tough physical game

20. Something they’ve proven year after year. Unlike the guy whose tattoo you probably have in an unsavory spot.

What exactly have the “proven year after year”?
    They have lost in the playoffs every year…

21. Mike Pence None The Richer says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:58 pm
    touchback6 says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:44 pm
    LOL!

————-

—————————————-

Bills are not fine, Miller took an already great defense up a level. No way they dont feel that, the hope is that the already great defense can stand up to a full post season run and SB. You have my best wishes.

And on behalf of what is very much most Pats fans I’ll apologize that anyone claiming to be one of us would tag a player injury with “LOL”.

22. Dang, man. Dude made a career making clutch sacks in huge games. He was primed to be the difference maker for Buffalo.

23. Second Thanksgiving Day game in a row Bills loose a star defender to a non-contact injury on a slit film field. He may have been engaged by a blocker but not to a level where it should blow an ACL.

24. So basically at the end of the day Buffalo wound up renting his services for the KC game. Money well spent right?

25. T6 we were warned? Scary stuff keyboard warrior. Funny thing is you’re the 2011 Buffalo Bills with a worse QB. Enjoy throwing stones from the basement, the Bills are trying to win a title.

Most of us here are talking football not putting down others to raise our low self esteem.

26. Is there anyone left on the Bills practice squad that becomes the “next man up”?
    Seeing how awful the Rams are, maybe Von read the tea leaves? Quite frankly the Rams
    can only get worse.

27. seems like the Bills are always trying to play with one hand tied behind their backs.

28. The Bills will feel losing Von Miller. Sadly my Pats could lose their starting qB and we wouldn’t even notice

29. Well, duh. He is getting up in age for a pro defensive player. This was going to happen sooner rather than later. And now the Bills have nothing for the playoffs. Bum move.

30. Miller is a great player and great guy, but it just makes it a little easier for the Eagles to finish off the NFC East sweep of the Bills in the Super Bowl. Washington, Dallas, and Giants already beat the Bills in the 90’s, 30 years later and the Eagles will finally finish the job and get the “Achievement Unlocked” award for the NFC East.

Every downvote is a hater… “we’re from Philly, no one likes us, we don’t care!” so downvote away!

GO BIRDS!

31. As a Bills fan I’m disappointed that the team medical staff or appointed specialist took 3 weeks to diagnose this – something is way off her. It makes ZERO sense because an MRI is the FIRST thing they did to check for damage & guaranteed it was torn – so either the medical team is inept or McDermott has been playing mind games with the media!

32. nhpats2011 says:
    December 7, 2022 at 2:30 pm

32Rate This

————

1. Sadly, some buy you are a Pats fan.
    2. Pats were humble forming 2 dynasties.
    3. Some Pats fans think teambuilds happen overnight, when the Pats dynasties prove, they don’t.

Glad you have beem paying attention.

Real Pats fans respect the process aren’t entitled.

Bills fans were warned of the arrogance, as the pride comes before the fall, sometimes in only 13 seconds.

33. Pats troll knows the end is near with BB. Just having his little man crush meltdown. Doesn’t even talk about his team anymore, beyond irrelevance.

34. Weren’t Bills fans saying that Bradley Chubb was a terrible trade because he’s been injured in the past?

35. Football says:
    December 7, 2022 at 1:53 pm
    Mike Pence None The Richer says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:58 pm
    touchback6 says:
    December 7, 2022 at 12:44 pm
    LOL!

————-

—————————————-

Sadly, it is consistently her M.O which as you said isn’t shared by most Pats fans or truly knowledgeable football fans!

Saw where the Jets recently put a rookie OL on NFI – hard to say what it might be but could be a serious illness……Hilarious, eh TB12?

36. steppinginpilesofrexryan says:
    December 7, 2022 at 2:54 pm

00Rate This

—————-

This is why I was laughing above. They knew it right away, they just don’t like it when news doesn’t go their way. Reminds me of the orange man. Same thing. Try to lie and change a narrative so you can control the information when you know on the spot a tear is a tear. Von Miller and the Bills aren’t special like they think.

This is the Winebaugh school of denial. Like clockwork.

The Bills are going dangerously down the NY Jets path of 2009/2010.

37. Reminds me of the orange man. Same thing. Try to lie and change a narrative

———

You just described the current Administration’s M/O perfectly!

38. touchback6 says:
    December 7, 2022 at 3:00 pm
    nhpats2011 says:
    December 7, 2022 at 2:30 pm

32Rate This

————

1. Sadly, some buy you are a Pats fan.
    2. Pats were humble forming 2 dynasties.
    3. Some Pats fans think teambuilds happen overnight

——-

1) I have been following the Pats and attending games before you even knew they were a team. But unlike you, I am a fan of the team….not a BB fanboy

2) There was a cog to those dynasties that was present the entire time…..and it wasn’t BB

3) interesting since you guaranteed the Pats would not skip a beat and win the AFCE the first year after Brady walked. You even lost a bet to that effect leading to the question: “why won’t you honor its terms”?

39. I think its a shame! Buffalo has pulled out at least 3 games this season they should have lost! LOL

Bills have a plus 124 point differential. Wouldn’t call that pulling out a few games.

40. Exploratory Surgery?!!
    I seriously thought that went out in the ’70s. Did Marcus Welby MD due the procedure?😆

41. That’ll put him out for most of next season, too. I wonder if any team will pick him up at that stage of his career. I mean…. he’s already on a pitch-count, isn’t he?

42. 6-6, in the basement and pats fans gloating about an injured Bills player…I’m old enough to remember when the pats were completely irrelevant, so I can only guess that these are salty old posters that can’t get over the 70’s, 80’s, & most of the 90’s.

43. Kudos for the Bills having the nuts to go out and get a Von Miller. This year or next I see a happy ending to this story. Cant wait for the Cincy game to watch the two cowboys they have for Qbs slug it out. Bills know how to win football games they should be ok.

44. This is a tough hit for a rock solid Bill’s team.

As a NE fan, I always try to route for other AFC East teams if we aren’t going to rep the AFC in the SB and the Mafia is well overdue to call themselves Champs.

Best of luck to the Bill’s and the Mafia and may the rest of your boys stay healthy to finish out.

45. Pats, Jets, Fins all have Lombardi’s in the lobby…

Bills have Costco memberships tho. Need those tables…

Win something before you trash NE, Miami or NY.

13 seconds LMAO.

Go Dolphins.

46. thats too bad. great player, seems like a nice guy. buffalo is still pretty strong without him though.

47. As a Chiefs fan, ive seen a lot of Von. He is true game changer, it will be felt by the Bills, but anyone that thinks this takes them out of SB contention is fooling themselves.

48. dang, bighead. heal up soon. i don’t know what life is like without you there to possibly ruin my day.

-chiefs fans

All jokes aside and the PEDs, this guy is really damn good at football and the games are better when he’s in it.

49. I’m not saying the bills are doomed without him, but I do believe he was a solid piece that was going to push them over the hump.

50. Most normal teams come with the news within 24-48 hours since it’s obvious on the X Rays.

————

X-rays don’t show ligament damage. That’s an mri. But you claim to know everything so ok.

51. Some of the comments here are so bitter.

This is a tough loss. Here’s hoping for a quick & full recovery for Von.