Tua Tagovailoa ruled out, Dolphins preparing to start Skylar Thompson

Green Bay Packers v Miami Dolphins
Getty Images

Signs have pointed to Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa remaining out of action for this Sunday’s game in Buffalo and the team officially took him off the table on Wednesday.

Head coach Mike McDaniel told reporters at his press conference that Tagovailoa has been ruled out for the third straight game. Tagovailoa has not played since reporting concussion symptoms after the team’s Week 16 loss to the Packers and McDaniel said that he has not been cleared to return.

The Dolphins would move on with a win over the Bills, but the Dolphins’ handling of this concussion and Tagovailoa’s history of head injuries earlier this season make it hard to imagine that he’ll be on the field in the event Miami does pull off the upset.

Rookie Skylar Thompson started in Week 18 and McDaniel said they are preparing to start him again this weekend. Teddy Bridgewater was the No. 2 quarterback, but he dislocated his right pinkie in Week 17.

84 responses to “Tua Tagovailoa ruled out, Dolphins preparing to start Skylar Thompson

1. Woudlnt they still be better served putting Bridgewater out there, even injured?

I’m no Dolphins fan but this is a shame for them. Dolphins with a healthy Tua all year capture likely the 5 seed.

2. I heard the Dolphins we’re gonna get smoked in Buffalo back in mid December.I guess a 3 point loss is what some consider being smoked.If the Dolphins lose by a touchdown….the natives will consider that a inferno

3. I hope the week 3 Divisional Championship was worth it #FinsUp, you won a battle but you’re going to lose the war!

4. Tua was not going to beat Buffalo at home in January. Even Mac Jones couldn’t do it.

5. All those 1st Rd picks and they are right back where they started. Even if Tua returns next year the Dolphins will need a 1b starting QB.

6. I think this is an NFL call, not Tua, Doctors or the Dolphins! They took to many hits this year!

7. In some ways I hate to win this way. However, teams like SF and Baltimore (with varying degrees of success) have winning records with backup QBs. Great teams and coaches overcome. It’s on McDaniel to succeed.

8. Regardless of who’s QB, teams that finish 1-5 generally don’t have a lot of playoff success.

9. For the sake of the health and welfare of a human brain, I am really glad Miami didn’t do anything stupid, like play him.

10. If you thought the college national championship was a bad game, wait until you watch Bills vs Dolphins!

11. There’s no pressure for Thompson, no one expects him to win. So he can play loose, and that might work to Fins favor. Hope it’s a good game regardless.

12. any given Sunday right?

Better chance of winning Mega Millions or the Dolphins covering the spread?

13. Fins would be better off signing Fitzmagic for a run. If he is in any sort of shape, he can sling it to be competitive for at least a game

14. jeffrey atkinson says:
    January 11, 2023 at 12:07 pm

————————

And I heard back in mid-September that the division went through Miami. The natives really thought a week 3 win was for the division title.

15. Big question… Do you go into next season with Tua at QB? Only a matter of time before you lose that locker room because the whole teams success depends on a brittle kid who has never ever played a complete season and possibly never will.

16. Dolphins had a good season and McDaniel seems to be a great leader…big time questions about Tua’s long-term future though.

17. As a longtime Fins Up lady but I cannot fathom any scenario where the Dolphins pull off the upset. The Bills are too good and Miami is too banged up. I just hope we don’t embarrass ourselves.

18. What a waste of a playoff slot. This won’t even be watchable.

If Lamar Jackson doesn’t play, make that TWO slots (even if the Bungles aren’t very good either)

19. Funny how with their team’s seasons over, fans of other teams have nothing better to do than slam the Dolphins.

20. All kidding aside he should consider a career in broadcasting. No more concussions.

21. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    January 11, 2023 at 12:42 pm

————–

The truth is the Fins have a very small chance to win this game. That’s not slamming the Fins.

The Bills would have to choke it to lose.

On to 2023 for the fins. If they get Brady for a year or two they can compete for a Super Bowl.

22. footballismybusiness says:
    January 11, 2023 at 12:23 pm

———–

The only way it would be close is if the Bills fumble/throw picks/allow special teams plays.

That can turn the game against anyone. Thompson isn’t going to have the kind of passing game required to win if the Bills don’t make many mistakes.

23. I’m happy the fins fans won the AFCE back in week 3. Whew! Would have been a terrible season if they didn’t.

24. NFL has their fingers all over this. The league and their doctor blocked him and cost the Dolphins any chance of a successful season to avoid any bad PR that might come from a Tua injury. FACT: No NFL player has ever been treated with kid gloves like this. Tell me where I am wrong.

25. as a humane i have to hope he is ok.As a fins fan, they gotta move on from him, too fragile especially head injuries, there is no time line for these and you cant have a starting qb who you never know if he will be available after a hard hit. the fins should do themselves and tua a favor and cut him, let him broadcast college games with rg3

26. NFL has their fingers all over this.

27. Part of me thinks, if they’d taken better care of him earlier in the season, they wouldn’t have to sit him now.

But another part is still saying, there’s something off about the way he falls. The tackles seem pretty routine yet he’s landing flat and head smacking into turf. Most sacks don’t go that way.

It’s not his fault for getting tackled, but I want his coaches to recognize this and try to work on it. It seems like something that’s putting him at extra risk and it may be something that can be worked on, for his own sake.

28. Just wait until next year, or the year after …
    Tua for MVPP in 2023.

If Tua gets another concussion, at what point does he retire?

29. Reminds me of when the Vikings had to trot out Joe Webb at QB against Green Bay.

A shame to not have your starting (or even 2nd string) QB in the playoffs.

That being said, maybe if Tua had not OBVIOUSLY lied about that first concussion (where he was wobbling around like a drunken fool after he was concussed) and was treated properly and held out, then they MIGHT not be in this position to begin with.

You reap what you sow when you cheat.

30. The LOLphins are awful. Cant wait to watch them get b*tch slapped all afternoon. Their fans deserve it. Team played good for like 6 weeks and they started talking like they were the 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, 90s Cowboys, 2000s Patriots, 2010s Patriots, you get the point. Shut up win something.

31. Tough news for the Dolphins, but it’s still a professional football game. The Bills shouldn’t take them lightly because of this, and I doubt McDermott would let that happen.

I sincerely wish for the best for Tua, whatever that is. I hope more than anything that he is healthy & remains that way for many years. Football is obviously secondary, but it would be great to see him playing again if it’s safe for him at some point. He’s fun to watch, the league is better when it has players like that.

32. Wow, Little Mikey made a decision. Shocked, I tell ya.

It is a joke that this team is in the tournament.

33. This team is truly cursed.

Last time Miami was in the playoffs (2016), they had to start a backup QB. Now it’s a 3rd string, 7th round rookie. Skylar is a gamer, and I’ll be rooting for him, but I doubt he’s ready for the playoffs in Buffalo. Miami’s only chance is for the defense to have their game of the decade, and to lean heavily on the run game.

The most frustrating part of all of this is the uncertainty about Tua’s future.

Hopefully better decisions are made for 2023 than they were in 2017 (following Miami’s last playoff appearance) when Gase had the bright idea to go out and sign Jay Cutler.

34. Bills will hang a fifty burger on Dolphins. You gotta feel bad for Tua. With him they have a chance.

35. Derek Carr will be a dolphin next year, you heard it here first. check out and subscribe to my youtube channel. WESTSIDE MEDIA

36. I’m glad Tua won’t play, but it’s such a shame. He’s been counted out and called a bust and disrespected by his own team, but he proved this year that he’s a very good starter. Miami just needs to protect him.

37. Skylar has a shot this week. I’d rather see Mike Glennon than Teddy B. though.

As for next year, Jimmy G. Or Derek Carr would be a better play than Brady – who I respect but he will lose it at some point.

38. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and do bootleg throws also. If the defence shows up, which is doubtful, but possible, hey, miracles do happen.

39. I would suggest going back to a 12 team tournament but the NFL has already tasted the revenue from having 14 teams.

40. 45 year old Bills fan for life. I don’t see how Bridgewater is not playing. I’ll take it GO BILLS but…….I have my doubts Buffalo beating Cincinnati. The Bengals if anything will have EVERY CALL GO AGAINST CINCINNATI in the eventual game. As a Bills fan I realize this

(go bills!!!!!!!!!!!!)

41. Tau should retire. He has a run first mentality as does Murray and Jackson. What do they all three have in common right now?

42. Add the same thing someone else already said, go back to 12 teams. It’s sickening that this game is even gonna be played. There should be two byes in each conference the way it used to be. Greed’s gonna do the same thing to the NFL that it did to NASCAR. Only reason NFL is still a cash cow is because of gambling, pure and simple.

43. This pains me to say, but this game will be over by halftime. Miami had a slight chance with Tua playing but without him that slight chance is long gone.
    Hopefully he can get healthy in the off-season along with Armstead and Miami can pick up a starting center and move Williams back to guard.

44. All the talk about Brady and Jackson and Carr is ridiculous. Tua will be the starting QB for Miami next season. Coach McDaniel offense is perfect for his skill set. He just needs to learn how to take a hit and how to go down in a tackle. He always seems to twist his own body to fall down on his back. If Brady came to Miami that would be a season for me to take off as a fan. I cannot and will not root for Brady. I will have to jump to cheering for Jax for a season if that happens.

45. billshistorian says:
    January 11, 2023 at 12:11 pm
    —————————————
    It’s funny that you think there would be zero drop off between the starting QB and the 3rd string QB, or based on the 49ers situation, there should be zero drop off. By the way, Anthony Brown of the Ravens just went 19/44 for 234 yards, 0 TDs/2 INTs, 4 sacks. I guess that’s on the Ravens coach.

46. Boy the Dolphins owner really screwed his own team badly by going after Brady and loseing that first round draft pick. They sure could use it to draft a quarterback who can stay healthy. As for Thompson he is horrible and should look to go into a different kind of work.

47. wintercoates87 says:
    January 11, 2023 at 4:12 pm

——————————————————————————————

You’re comment makes it painfully obvious that you’ve never actually watched Tua play. His style of play couldn’t be any more different from the “run first” QBs.

48. Oh well. Season over. What a roller coaster ride for Dolphins fans. I’m glad Tua isn’t playing. Let him heal. Best of luck to all fans who’s teams are still playing.

49. It’s sad that the Dolphins aren’t fielding their #1 QB for their playoff run, and we all need to stay concerned for Tua’s long-term health.

But football is a team sport and each game is one TEAM versus another TEAM. If a team loses because they don’t have the necessary depth,then that means they are not as good of a TEAM as the one that won. Park the excuses.

50. It’s easy to see the effects of these concussions on Tua all season, but we can’t know if this is all because he was reconcussed again 4 days after his first. I don’t like wasting another season, but Tua deserves one more year to see if he can become 100%. That’s the only way to find out if he’s actually concussion prone or if this year was just a fluke. I hope he gets a legitimate chance if he thinks he’s still able.

51. billshistorian says:
    January 11, 2023 at 12:12 pm
    “Regardless of who’s QB, teams that finish 1-5 generally don’t have a lot of playoff success.”

If Buffalo was down to it’s third stringer instead of Josh Allen, they’d have gone 1-5 too.

52. After seeing both teams injury reports today, I cringed hard for Miami. 20% of the roster listed :S It would be the upset of the season if they pull out the win, but uhh, the lines are giving them 13+ points for a reason. Sorry Phins. Great start to the season though, many won’t admit it but you defied expectations early on this year and shut up a lot of critics, myself included (albeit temporarily).

53. People forget it was really Milano who took out Tua. The following week, Tua went ‘fall down go boom’ and then all the NFL procedural questions got raised – but it was Milano who started the train wreck. Tua wants NO part of Milano.

54. erik viel says:
    January 11, 2023 at 1:25 pm

Can’t even BEGIN to list all the ways this is tin-foil hat type of idiotically wrong.

“FACT” – Stating an opinion/theory/wild speculation and saying “FACT!” does not make the wild statement any more of a “FACT” than the statement was before you prepended it by stating ““FACT”. Might be the most childish thing that has ever evolved on Social Media/Internet.