Browns hire Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator

Super Bowl LII - Philadelphia Eagles Media Availability
Getty Images

Jim Schwartz is the new defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns finalized the hiring of Schwartz this morning, according to multiple reports.

Cleveland began its defensive coordinator search a week ago after firing Joe Woods. In addition to Schwartz, the candidates were Steelers linebackers coach Brian Flores, Seahawks associate head coach Sean Desai and Eagles defensive pass game coordinator/defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson. Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo declined a chance to interview.

The 56-year-old Schwartz is best known for his five-year stint as head coach of the Lions from 2009 to 2013. He has also been defensive coordinator of the Eagles, Bills and Titans. His first NFL job was in Cleveland as a personnel scout in the 1990s. He was more recently an assistant on the Titans’ staff.

53 responses to “Browns hire Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator

1. Jim Schwartz’s personality fits rust belt teams. I was sorry to see him go when Rex Ryan was hired as bills HC.

2. Browns fans, be prepared to forget what blitzing looks like.

He’s good, but he’s not *that* good. And if a player’s skill set doesn’t fit his scheme, it doesn’t matter how strong that skill set is. Schwartz won’t use him properly. Exhibit A: Rasul Douglas.

3. This will be interesting while a good defensive mind his abrasive personality should cause turmoil midst the Clowns. Can’t wait!

4. Anytime I hear this dudes name, all I think about is Jim Harbaugh and the back slap heard around the world.

5. This will be interesting while a good defensive mind his abrasive personality should cause turmoil midst the Clowns. Can’t wait!
    ==================================================

Stealer fans are adorable… Go Browns!

6. Flores would have gone a long way to repair the Clowns image, plus he is a hell of a DC.

7. mickeyspillane says:
    January 17, 2023 at 9:56 am

Upgrade for their D for sure.

_____________

How do you even know this “for sure.” Schwartz has failed on plenty of teams.

It has potential, but we don’t know if this will help the Browns.

8. Browns fan here – I’m really kind of numb to these hires anymore. I’m not excited – I’m not disappointed. I’m exhausted. Would be so nice to just get things going in a positive direction for once.

I do think one problem is Stefanski being disconnected from the defense (which I gather from some of his interview comments). I believe an excellent head coach has to have input into all three phases of the game.

9. That is a very smart hire. I will only wish this team failure and disarray so long as they employ Watson, but objectively speaking this is a good hire.

10. Solid hiring for the Browns. My favorite Jim Schwartz line ever when he was the Eagles DC and he was asked about Nigel Bradham being arrested for bringing a gun to the airport:

“You do dumb-a** things, pretty soon, you’re going to be labeled as a dumb-a**” lol!

11. sewalters79 says:
    January 17, 2023 at 10:31 am

Great hire and always has top 10 defensives….those are facts too
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Well the actual fact is he`s had 4 top 10 defenses in 13 seasons as a coordinator but if that is always to you then congrats on the hire.

12. “Browns fans, be prepared to forget what blitzing looks like.”

The Browns haven’t had a good blitz package for 20 years anyway. You can predict it almost every time.

13. Points will be scored at will against the Browns in 23, Schwartz will be angry on the sidelines. Nothing new here, good hire for 31 other teams. Hope the Browns play the NFC North next year. That’s four losses for the angry coach.

14. I thought that was a clap of thunder that I heard, but obviously, it was Flores head exploding.

15. The NFL LOVES to recycle these old guys who’ve been run out of other cities. Schwartz last stand was with the EAGLES and we couldn’t wait to see him leave.

16. Prediction for 2023: Browns will win at least one game, lose at least one game, and finish last in the AFC North.

17. Not sure why Schwartz would do this. He’ll be out the door next season along with Stefanski.

18. As much as the Browns have invested in their QB they need to get Bill O Brien to make sure that they get a huge return on their investment.

19. lionsfan says:
    January 17, 2023 at 10:49 am

ha ha could be the first coach ever to go 0-16 with 2 different teams. Sorry Brownies

________________________

Uhhhhh, not sure what planet you’re living on, but the Lions are the Browns of the NFC.

LoLions!

20. pittsburghdamned says:
    January 17, 2023 at 11:43 am
    Sour coach meet sour city/ team/ fans.
    ————-
    I live in NC and sometimes when I see someone with Steelers junk on I like to ask them something specific about the city of Pittsburgh. You can tell most of them have never even been to Pittsburgh. Awesome fans you got there yinzers.

21. Here’s hoping he can stop the Keystone Cops show in the D Backfield that was on display this past season.

22. vecchiaio says:
    January 17, 2023 at 12:23 pm

=================

Why would people downvote this? When’s the last time the Browns finished better than third in the division? I certainly can’t remember.

23. therealtrenches says:
    January 17, 2023 at 9:46 am
    Browns fans, be prepared to forget what blitzing looks like.

The Browns haven’t sent a blitz package since they drafted Garrett so we’re already accustomed to it. He should fit right in then.

24. I’m not sure what universe Eagle’s fans are living in but Jim Schwartz inherited one of the NFL’s worst defenses (Eagles) and turned them into one of the best top 10 defenses in less than two years. This can easily be validated. I know it’s cliche’ but GOOGLE it.

25. I’m not totally sure what to make of this hire. On the surface the positives outweigh negatives.
    He has successful experience turning around underperforming Ds, focusing on stopping the run and getting turnovers.
    He seems to have a reputation as a disciplinarian: Lord knows, the Browns’ D can use that.
    His system produces sacks and pressures.
    I’ve read he prefers aggressive man coverage, vs. the soft zone that the Browns used way too often the last couple of years.

About the only negative things I’ve read I’ve is his abrasive personality can turn things sour if he does not get immediate results, and that he has moved around a bit. The last part does not bother me much as most NFL coaches and coordinators move a lot.

Berry: get him a real DT so Schwartz can implement his wide-9.

26. lionsfan says:
    January 17, 2023 at 10:49 am

1775Rate This

****************************************
    and if any team knows ANYTHING about 0-16…

27. I love the cl0wns on here defending gym shorts like his their brother.

The guy just isn’t that great of a coach, period. Get over it and move on with your life.