Patrick Mahomes on injured ankle: It’s feeling good so far

AFC Divisional Playoffs - Jacksonville Jaguars v Kansas City Chiefs
Getty Images

After head coach Andy Reid told reporters in his Wednesday press conference that quarterback Patrick Mahomes would probably do everything at the day’s practice, Mahomes himself took to the podium and said his injured right ankle is progressing.

“It’s doing good. A few days of treatment, a few days of rehab,” Mahomes said. “Excited to be on the practice field and kind of test it out and see where I’m at. But, it’s feeling good so far.”

Mahomes, who suffered a high ankle sprain during the first half of the divisional-round victory over the Jaguars, said he began treatment on the ankle right after Saturday’s win.

“I was able to do some extra testing, just to make sure everything was good the night after the game. And then get a few things done to help the treatment kind of start off,” Mahomes said. “And then the next few days has kind of been an all-day thing where you’re either doing treatment, or rehab, or watching film.

“But it’s a full-day thing where you’re trying to make sure you’re obviously prepared for the Bengals and the great football team — mentally and physically.”

Mahomes went through a similar ankle sprain in Week One of the 2019 season and then in Week Two threw four touchdown passes in a victory over the Raiders. But that injury was to his left ankle.

“Especially when you have different ankles at the quarterback position, you’re planting and throwing off different stuff,” Mahomes said. “So, the last one, it was the leg that I landed on, so I had to find other ways to throw where I could land and keep it in the right spot. This time, I’ll have to find ways to be able to push off and still be able to make throws the right ways. So, definitely similar in a sense but different limitations and stuff that I’ll have to work through.”

Mahomes noted his ankle is feeling better than he thought it would, as he was visibly in pain during the game. But he’s gotten significantly better over the last couple of days. Multiple reporters noted Mahomes was not wearing a walking boot at his press conference, and there was no visible limp when he walked in and out of his press conference.

“I’ll push a little bit today, and then the next day, and then the next day again and see what I can do to not re-aggravate the injury, obviously, but to push it to see what I’ll be able to do on Sunday,” Mahomes said.

We’ll see what kind of listing the Chiefs give Mahomes — whether full or limited — on the team’s first injury report of the week later on Wednesday.

32 responses to “Patrick Mahomes on injured ankle: It’s feeling good so far

1. techsalesguy says:
    January 25, 2023 at 2:00 pm
    A 43 year old QB won a super bowl with an MCL injury. I think he’ll be fine

Is my statement not true?? Brady played with a torn MCL. You people are too emotionally attached to your teams to have an unbiased opinion

2. If there is any QB in the league that can win with a fresh high ankle sprain, it is Mahomes. Most would not even be on the field. Can he play well enough to beat the Bengals? A tough ask, but don’t count him out as having a shot.

If he doesn’t, it will not be because of a lack of sheer grit and effort.

3. Not sure if I’m buying it. Letting the Bengals know he is fine does not help them in any way shape or form. If you were fine, wouldn’t you want the Bengals to spend most of their week working on a game plan designed to stop a gimpy Mahomes and not be as prepared for a full-strength Mahomes? Teams are usually trying to gain some kind of advantage on injuries so my guess is that Mahomes is probably not telling us how he is really feeling.

4. techsalesguy says:
    January 25, 2023 at 2:12 pm
    techsalesguy says:
    January 25, 2023 at 2:00 pm
    A 43 year old QB won a super bowl with an MCL injury. I think he’ll be fine

====================================
    =======================================

Many of Bradys peers did amazing things too like Lance Armstrong won like 7 tour de France title after 40 and Barry Bonds hit lots of home runs.

5. techsalesguy says:
    January 25, 2023 at 2:12 pm
    techsalesguy says:
    January 25, 2023 at 2:00 pm
    A 43 year old QB won a super bowl with an MCL injury. I think he’ll be fine

—————————————————————————————-
    I don’t think the thumbs down are for saying Brady won a SB with a torn MCL. It’s the jump that because that happened, Mahomes will be fine. They are different injuries and situations, the two QB’s have different styles of play. It’s not emotion or bias, your statement has a logical gap.

6. Brady having an MCL injury is not comparable to Mahomes with a high ankle sprain. Brady is NOT a mobile QB, so the MCL sprain was not a big deal and the MCL is not used when throwing. Mahomes is a mobile QB and that requires healthy ankles and knees.

7. If he says he’s fine then you prepare for him and are cautious with your rush. If he is a sitting duck you throw the kitchen sink at him. He is in legit pain every second and the last thing he wants is to take anymore hits than he has too, especially if he wants to stay in the game. It’s all a ruse. Bengals need to come out aggressive and make him show them he isn’t hobbled by running and cutting. If he can’t, quick passing, screen and running game will have to be the gameplan because there will be blood in the water.

8. mjchockey1 says:
    January 25, 2023 at 2:19 pm

————-

You have it backwards, he would say I’m fine so they prepare for a fully capable Mahomes, then stay in the pocket with quick throws all game. This would mean dropping 8 into coverage and rushing with 3. This opens up the screen game and run game and check down throws.

9. All these years I was lead to believe a high ankle sprain was a month long injury!! Next time someone on my team gets one I expect him to man up like Mahomes.

10. Ironically, most people think of Mahomes as mobile. He does creative stuff when mobile, but this year he has been in the pocket making quick throws a lot. His game has progressed that way. So if protected and stable enough in the pocket he will be like he was 80% of plays this year. I don’t think this will be as much of an issue as the media is making it out to be. He will lose at least some of the scramble type ability, but if they oline plays well it won’t be drastically different. Should be a good game

11. So the avg high ankle sprain has people out 4 weeks minimum…..and they want us to believe after 3 days hes back running as if nothing happened. The bengals nor anyone is dumb enough to believe that. BOLD PREDICTION….he starts the game but doesn’t finish because he isn’t mobile enough to escape the rush or protect himself. Qb2…its your game to lose or win.

12. Are you sure he’s not faking it? A high ankle sprain he’s out for several weeks. Or did he just tweak his ankle?

13. A big part of Mahomes game and a big part of KC’s offense this year, is Patrick making plays with his feet, either buying time and throwing or rushing. Mobility has NEVER been a part of Brady’s game. Therefore your analogy was fallacy and that is why you are getting voted down.

14. 43 year old QB won a super bowl with an MCL injury. I think he’ll be fine

———————————————————-

15. I’ve seen Mahommes mince around before like it’s a big deal and then magically he’s fine in the game. Overhyped BS-he’s fine, just trying to get some edge.

16. Of course it feels good, nobody in practice can touch you and the pace is different, let’s see how you feel after being pressured by the defense, and after taken a hit or two….

17. Its fun listening to all the prognosticators and Bengals fans discuss how Mahome’s ankle is going to hold up when none of them have a clue. Many of them believe its going to be a cake walk for Cinci and that’s just fine because when the Chiefs win the game its going to be that much sweeter.

18. I’m really impressed by the fact that he’s even walking on that ankle. He’s unique and seems to be able to do things most other QB’s can’t. His mental strength is incredible along with his obvious physical skills.

19. Excellent, thank you all for validating Mahomes is not good enough from the pocket for my analogy to make sense. 27 year old with an ankle sprain is so much worse than a 43 year old with an MCL tear… regardless of play style thats hilarious

20. A few years ago Commanders QB Sam Howell horribly turned his ankle in the first quarter of an ACC game. Barely able to walk, Sam went on to throw for well over 300 yards including touchdown passes to Dyami Brown. Point is, the great ones find a way. Patrick will be fine on Sunday.

21. Some well conditioned athletes can get themselves ready quicker than those sitting behind their keyboards. Who would of thought?

22. All the mental gymnastics from people to explain away how only Mahomes can do this. Brady won the 2017 AFC championship with 20 stitches between his thumb and forefinger, and the picture of the stitches and the cut is available on the Internet. For you geniuses discrediting his MCL tear injury with which he won the 2020 Super Bowl, how about stitches in your throwing hand? Is your throwing hand involved in throwing?

23. Im not buying it for a bit. He is sucking it up at a level right now. He wants this bad. Personally I don’t think I could do what I believe he is doing so respekt. The deal will be if the ankle holds up for him. Game conditions are harsh and I suspect it would not take much fir the ankle to remove any choice or decision. Im a bit surprised they dont just hold him out of practice if they plan on using him Sunday. Had the backup get the snaps while Mahomes rests unti game time when he trys to play on it.

24. Its telling how tense the Chiefs and their fans seem this week. It took nothing for Eli Apple to get the fans riled up. They know all the pressure is on them, you can feel it. 5 straight at home has to produce more than 1 ring right?

25. Fake diagnosis to give him a “Willis Reed/Jordan with the flu” storyline for Tirico to gush about.